• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pocket change pick up - circa 1953 - you just never know what you'll find ...

13 posts in this topic

My Grandfather was a coin collector of sorts - and pulled anything of interest

out of change and saved it in old covered boxes. He found almost a complete

circulated set of Commems - which I still have - and he was also responsible

for my getting started in collecting.

I have cherished this old Half Dollar for years and last month while at the ANA

in Chicago - I had it imaged.

I can't help but think of my Grandfather when I see this coin.

adc30a82.jpg

Bobby,

My Grandfather found the coin exactly as you see it,

engraved - [ yes, professionally ] - and I've none nothing

to it, but admire it, over the last 58 years.

Funny, I've told this story before, a few times, but in the mid 1980's, I pulled an 1811 and an 1858 half dollar from change at a supermarket. I offed the cashier $10 for them and she gave me the two halves and $9 change. She said they were only a dollar anyhow. I offered her the other $9 but she refused.

Very cool, always interesting when you see love tokens or coins with particular dates engraved on them. I have one engraved with my birthday, but the year was 1908.

Neat-O! (thumbs u

Are you gonna finish the 50 pc circ commem set?

No - I completed the 144 complete set in MS 65 - plus the two Norse's medals.

Really don't like circ Commems - they were meant to be saved as souvenirs

in Mint State [ AFAIC ] ... plus, I don't want to spend the money on a circ Hawaii.

Very cool, always interesting when you see love tokens or coins with particular dates engraved on them. I have one engraved with my birthday, but the year was 1908.

Dang, jtryka, you're a little older than I'd thought! :o

My dad said he got 2 cent pieces, half dimes, commemorative halfs and all kinds of other stuff in Denver right after the war. He saved 2 of the 2 centers, a Monroe Doctrine half, and a bent double dime. He said he had to spend the rest as he grew up too poor to keep them for very long. I'm surprised he kept the half dollar-- that was a lot of money to him!

He gave me two of the 2 cent pieces (1865 and 1869, both corroded), but I don't know what he did with the other coins.

Dang, jtryka, you're a little older than I'd thought! :o

My dad said he got 2 cent pieces, half dimes, commemorative halfs and all kinds of other stuff in Denver right after the war. He saved 2 of the 2 centers, a Monroe Doctrine half, and a bent double dime. He said he had to spend the rest as he grew up too poor to keep them for very long. I'm surprised he kept the half dollar-- that was a lot of money to him!

He gave me two of the 2 cent pieces (1865 and 1869, both corroded), but I don't know what he did with the other coins.

lol the interesting thing was the love token I bought had the word "Hiawatha" and my birthday, just 61 years before I was born, and no I didn't get the half eagle in circulation, I bought it on eBay for like $90!