• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Re: Removing Glue from Proof Coins

21 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any advice on removing glue from proof coins? I've heard of Koinsolv and similar solvents, and would like to hear of any experiences that you may have had. Additionally, I would be interested in any potential home remedies.

First of all, I would like to thank all of you so much for your advice and time. You certainly have been an enormous help.

what type of glue? like Elmer's?

have you tried acetone?

It is supposedly glue from an improperly sealed flat pack cellphone.

How in the heck did you ever get glue on a proof coin? Concur with soaking in acetone with a periodic changing of the actone.

See above.

Most glues are organic based, and will dissolve easily in acetone.

This was my first intuition given that we always learned in organic chemistry that "like will dissolve like". I was questioning the efficacy of acetone in this situation as I had someone tell me that they had only had limited to success with this technique. Unfortunately, I couldn't tell how serious or experienced this person was. Given that you all recommend this approach, I will certainly try this.

Ditto. I've removed all kinds of glue with acetone with near-100% success.

Being a proof, be EXTREMELY careful not to "rub"!

That was my biggest concern... Do I just allow the glue to dissolve? Is it possible to leave a coin submerged in acetone too long? Does this change if it is a copper coin? What protocol do you recommend?

I ask because I have never used acetone, or any other solvent for that matter, on a coin. I thought about sending it away to NCS, and I posted pictures and asked on their forum and still haven't received a response after several days.

Also, it is noteworthy that I actually do not have the coin in hand. It is a coin that I was contemplating purchasing provided that it could be conserved. While I'm not willing to risk an enormous amount on the coin in question, I am willing to take a bit of risk. Thanks for all of the advice. I will probably purchase it at a fair price and attempt to give it an acetone bath. I'll try to negotiate a return policy even if the coin is given an acetone bath (an not successfully conserved), but is not otherwise altered.

This is just my opinion. If it were my proof coin, I would use a pair of tongs to hold the coin by it's sides and dip periodically in the acetone until the glue is removed. The acetone should not change any characteristics of the coin except to clean the surface. It has no effects as to removing toning, etc.. It probably will not do anything for any type of haze that may be on the coin also. As I stated, it is merely a cleaner to remove oils, tape residue, etc...

what type of glue? like Elmer's?

have you tried acetone?

How in the heck did you ever get glue on a proof coin? Concur with soaking in acetone with a periodic changing of the actone.

See above.

I thought the flat packs were heat sealed rather than glued. Perhaps that "glue" is melted plastic.

I thought the flat packs were heat sealed rather than glued. Perhaps that "glue" is melted plastic.
Perry, the older box proof sets, 50 and 51 I believe had glue on them. Acetone will work just fine with no ill affects.

Perry, the older box proof sets, 50 and 51 I believe had glue on them. Acetone will work just fine with no ill affects.

Are we talking about the flat packs or the earlier box sets? This is getting confusing. In any event, acetone is the best first choice as a course of action.

Are we talking about the flat packs or the earlier box sets? This is getting confusing. In any event, acetone is the best first choice as a course of action.
Personally, I'm talking about box sets. 50 and 51 were box set only. But I know for sure that the 54 and 55 had soft plastic. Not sure on the 52/53. The early years were glued then stapled. 55 was the first year for flat packs, there were both box and flat packs that year.

Personally, I'm talking about box sets. 50 and 51 were box set only. But I know for sure that the 54 and 55 had soft plastic. Not sure on the 52/53. The early years were glued then stapled. 55 was the first year for flat packs, there were both box and flat packs that year.

What about the sets from the 1930s and 1940s? Weren't they in boxed sets? Where are the transition periods between packaging?

So the flat packs were from 1954-1964, right?

The flatpacks were not glued they were heat sealed.

The early years were glued then stapled.

The early years were slipped into their individual sleeves, stacked, the ends folded over, and then stapled. No glue was used. The only glue used on the boxed sets was the glue on the tape that sealed the boxes.

The flatpacks were not glued they were heat sealed.

I think I may have misused the term flat pack and generalized it to all general plastic sleeves prior to the hard mint cases that followed in 1968 until present.

The early years were glued then stapled.

The early years were slipped into their individual sleeves, stacked, the ends folded over, and then stapled. No glue was used. The only glue used on the boxed sets was the glue on the tape that sealed the boxes.

So what are the odds then that this could potentially transfer to the coin itself?

Thanks again for all the help.

The only glue I know of used in the original government holders even to the current day that was anywhere close to the coins was in the cardboard double mint set holders that glued the paper to one side of the cardboard.

Condor, I have personally come across early proof sets that the larger coins had glue on. And, I know of a dealer, who has gone through a multitude of early proof sets who has gone through more than his share of 100% acetone for that very reason. I understand your point, and I don't know how the glue got there, but the glue was there.