• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recent huge Score at Local Military Credit Union.. UPDATED..

147 posts in this topic

This has been an interesting discussion, and I must admit when I first read the post, I felt a little ill, but the emotion was probably a combination of frustration at someone being so dumb who is also serving our country. I'd like to think that we should have a responsibility to do the right thing, and in this age of moral relativism, the right thing is to do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Despite us being coin collectors and knowing all about compositions, values, etc., 99% of the population has absolutely no clue about the value of coins. They think that Ike dollars are valuable because they are silver, they think that bicentennial coins are special commemoratives and valuable, and that half dollars are worth more than face value because the government doesn't make them any more. Yes, if I was in the OP's position, I would have told the young man of their value and seen what happened, at least if he had the information the playing field would be level. But I think that hanging Yaha in effigy is also wrong, after all, is this really that different than finding valuable coins in rolls?

I used to search hald dollar rolls all the time, found many 90% Franklins and Kennedys and about $250 face in 40% silver coins, should I have been torn up about how many people spent them unknowingly before I finally removed them from circulation? Should I have worried about who's collection was raided before they came back from the bank? Maybe, and maybe it's different when you come face to face with the ignoramus that's putting them into circulation. Perhaps that's the core, when you are in direct contact with the person who makes the mistake you should do the right thing? Well in that case, I probably owe my local bank a lot of money for the wheat pennies I've found and I owe my local supermarket $3 for the silver dime I got from the self checkout, or do these moral imperatives not count if your score comes from a big bank or other business?

If I was there and met this young man, I probably would have told him the coins could be worth more than face and maybe offered the name of a local dealer that could help him, or if he insisted on depositing them, would have bought them for face. Why? Because that's how I'd want him to treat me if I was the ignoramus. This is similar to what happened to me a few weeks ago, when I bought a couple Hungarian 10-kr gold coins from a dealer in Germany (these each have a little less than a tenth ounce of gold), but when they arrived, the dealer made a mistake and sent me two 20-kr coins, twice as much gold! Granted it wasn't a 5-figure score, but it was still worth about 240 euros ($350) more than I paid. What did I do? I told the dealer about the mistake and made up the difference because that is what I would want him to do for me if I made the same mistake.

There's been a lot of judgement in this thread, and much emotion and moral indignation, just not much common sense or reasoning.

jtryka

I think most of us get it. Let me toss this into the mix------

Another way the OP could of handled this is by helping this fellow out and actually spending a few minutes to educate him on what he had. Sure he wasn't obligated to do this but it was certainly an option some would have exercised.That would have warranted a similar thread but with a different result. Then again someone who would have done a selfless act to educate the unknowing would never think about patting themselves on the back in a thread in a chat room to begin with. They would remain silent. In the OP's story he is openly patting himself on the back for what some would deem a selfish act. I certainly hope he didn't share this story with his family especially the impressionable.

To each is own.....MJ

YAHA, If you were any kind of decent person you would try to find out who the Pilot you bought the coins is. I don't think it would be hard to put a notice in the Credit Union newsletter. Explain that you made too much in the transaction and want to cut him in on the profits.

Wow. It is simply amazing the Judgement that many have against me and it is totally discusting.

I didn't give anyone the whole story for many reasons on my recent score because frankly I knew down deep inside if I worded my poor grammar in anyway there would still be doubters out there that continue to seek self atonement for something that has went wrong in the lives, now it's time to seek out others.

I am not happy with the hate that continues on these boards no matter if now it's here or ATS.

That evening at my wifes local credit union in question, a young man in a Aviators Flight Overalls or Flight suit, sorry for calling them scrubs, this guy was aggravated and peed off that his coins were not going through the coin counter. He kept glancing over at the manager I was dealing with or anyone that would help him with his problem.

I took the time to see if I could help this guy out because he was the military, I have all the respect for our hero's and as many know my Grand Father, my Father served with honor, and my grand dad died at War in Pearl Harbour with honor. Furthermore, next month my son,in his final year of High School with be enlisting into the military. And these are the facts. Not written to slow down the now Military guys that took unfair shots at me.

After having a nice discussion with this Pilot, he DIDN'T care for the coins he was cashing in. He knew what he had, I felt by talking to him, he needed to cash in his Silver because his fear of his deployment they wouldn't be he when or if he came back.. He has heard of the fly by night companies at Hotels that give money for Silver and Gold and didn't like what he heard, so he wanted face value Fee free for his coins. Simple, end of story.. Again, he assured me he knew price of metals.

My wife proceeded to the ATM and was getting upset at me because she doesn't understand coins, but withdrew $600 the ATM's limit and by God striking me dead now or soon, I offered this guy $600 and he wanted his price of $340 something and told me that was what he counted and hope "I" will trust him. I paid him, he gave me 2 small blue nylon bags and said have fun and left. I looked at my wife and son and said I hope I didn't mess up, but was happy to find some Kennedy's or a few other coins I saw.

I am really, really discusted that while at war, our economy is still in the tank, I just spent the last 48hrs in two counties offering help from the recent Cat1 Hurricane, that members or just plain ole coin collectors can "JUDGE" me once again for a post that wasn't quite vivid enough in proper form for the few that continue nonsense.

Some forget that this Aviator was very educated, had his agenda that evening at closing what he wanted, didn't want to listen to anything I offered him and maybe many of you should look in the mirror and don't blame the messenger in the case.

It doesn't matter if you want to believe this addition to the story, but it is my last.

I want to thank all of the fine people I have met and continue to buy and sell Precious Metals with.. As many of us sit at shows you have my number and email and I will forward my newer email to the trusted ones for future deals.

I "LEFT" the other coin zoo ATS and do respect the clan per-se, but again met many nice people. I will shut down my login name here tonight it's tiring to read such untrue statements towards me and the Hate that continues to flow through this hobby these boards and world. Also, to all that lost their $1 for the one member that we chat about, save you money, I knew he would respond and don't need to be "Greedy" for telling many the truth once again that he has no life and I will pray very hard for the people close to him for salvation.

God Bless everyone, Judgement day is near and those whom Mock God's children with be dealt with very soon. Continued Hate on man for personal gain will always be frown on. George..

So you are saying this guy knew he had $10k in coins and didn't want it, he only wanted the $350? Either you think he was retarded, or you think we are retarded for believing that.

I would say I'll miss you, but.... I don't like to lie.

So you are saying this guy knew he had $10k in coins and didn't want it, he only wanted the $350? Either you think he was retarded, or you think we are retarded for believing that.

(thumbs u +1

Police interrogate suspected felon.

Suspected felon tells one "story".

Police figure out the true story.

Suspected felon changes "story" again.

Too late! Indictment follows.

Chris

Not sure why you couldn't have posted the full story the first time instead of something that sounded either like gloating or had people checking to see if it was April 1. You could have prevented a lot of the harsh reactions to the incomplete details, including your reaction to others' reactions.

He tells us that he didn't tell us the whole story, but is upset with us and is leaving because we judged him on what he did tell us and not on what he didn't tell us. That makes a lot of sense.

The story now makes even less sense because it is now claimed that the AF guy did know what he had, that it was silver, and that he knew what it was worth. But that because he wouldn't get the full value from the hotel buyer people or the cash for gold type people he was going to get rid of it for face value?? Much less than the people he thought were crooked buyers would pay for it! And then when he is offered $600 for the silver he insists on $340?? Anyone believe that?

Wow. It is simply amazing the Judgement that many have against me and it is totally discusting.

I didn't give anyone the whole story for many reasons on my recent score because frankly I knew down deep inside if I worded my poor grammar in anyway there would still be doubters out there that continue to seek self atonement for something that has went wrong in the lives, now it's time to seek out others.

I am not happy with the hate that continues on these boards no matter if now it's here or ATS.

That evening at my wifes local credit union in question, a young man in a Aviators Flight Overalls or Flight suit, sorry for calling them scrubs, this guy was aggravated and peed off that his coins were not going through the coin counter. He kept glancing over at the manager I was dealing with or anyone that would help him with his problem.

I took the time to see if I could help this guy out because he was the military, I have all the respect for our hero's and as many know my Grand Father, my Father served with honor, and my grand dad died at War in Pearl Harbour with honor. Furthermore, next month my son,in his final year of High School with be enlisting into the military. And these are the facts. Not written to slow down the now Military guys that took unfair shots at me.

After having a nice discussion with this Pilot, he DIDN'T care for the coins he was cashing in. He knew what he had, I felt by talking to him, he needed to cash in his Silver because his fear of his deployment they wouldn't be he when or if he came back.. He has heard of the fly by night companies at Hotels that give money for Silver and Gold and didn't like what he heard, so he wanted face value Fee free for his coins. Simple, end of story.. Again, he assured me he knew price of metals.

My wife proceeded to the ATM and was getting upset at me because she doesn't understand coins, but withdrew $600 the ATM's limit and by God striking me dead now or soon, I offered this guy $600 and he wanted his price of $340 something and told me that was what he counted and hope "I" will trust him. I paid him, he gave me 2 small blue nylon bags and said have fun and left. I looked at my wife and son and said I hope I didn't mess up, but was happy to find some Kennedy's or a few other coins I saw.

I am really, really discusted that while at war, our economy is still in the tank, I just spent the last 48hrs in two counties offering help from the recent Cat1 Hurricane, that members or just plain ole coin collectors can "JUDGE" me once again for a post that wasn't quite vivid enough in proper form for the few that continue nonsense.

Some forget that this Aviator was very educated, had his agenda that evening at closing what he wanted, didn't want to listen to anything I offered him and maybe many of you should look in the mirror and don't blame the messenger in the case.

It doesn't matter if you want to believe this addition to the story, but it is my last.

I want to thank all of the fine people I have met and continue to buy and sell Precious Metals with.. As many of us sit at shows you have my number and email and I will forward my newer email to the trusted ones for future deals.

I "LEFT" the other coin zoo ATS and do respect the clan per-se, but again met many nice people. I will shut down my login name here tonight it's tiring to read such untrue statements towards me and the Hate that continues to flow through this hobby these boards and world. Also, to all that lost their $1 for the one member that we chat about, save you money, I knew he would respond and don't need to be "Greedy" for telling many the truth once again that he has no life and I will pray very hard for the people close to him for salvation.

God Bless everyone, Judgement day is near and those whom Mock God's children with be dealt with very soon. Continued Hate on man for personal gain will always be frown on. George..

From your first post to this thread:

"... I am still shocked that a educated Aviator didn't understand the value of these coins..."

And now from your above post to this thread (with my having placed some of your text in bold):

"After having a nice discussion with this Pilot, he DIDN'T care for the coins he was cashing in. He knew what he had, I felt by talking to him, he needed to cash in his Silver because his fear of his deployment they wouldn't be he when or if he came back.. He has heard of the fly by night companies at Hotels that give money for Silver and Gold and didn't like what he heard, so he wanted face value Fee free for his coins. Simple, end of story.. Again, he assured me he knew price of metals."

Care to go for best two out of three, by providing another version of the story?

Not sure why you couldn't have posted the full story the first time instead of something that sounded either like gloating or had people checking to see if it was April 1. You could have prevented a lot of the harsh reactions to the incomplete details, including your reaction to others' reactions.

I agree. You've been here well over a year and you should know the reaction this would've caused before-hand. This being said, I still don't believe that more money was offered and refused. When someone needs money bad enough, they would be grateful for the offer of more money, not turn it away. Your comdemnation my friend, looks to have been at your own intent. When you post information that deliberately intimidates peoples morals, you can't expect them to understand yours.

Jason, you would think someone of your education level would know better than to use the word "retarded" in a written forum. hm

On the other hand, who cares if this story is true or not? I don't see how it has any bearing on any of us here. Then again, I'm not sure what the point of posting the original story was either. After 10 pages of comments here, and the same conversation going on ATS, I'm beginning to fall off of the fence and land on the "this post did exactly what yaha wanted it to do -- get a rise out of everyone here." :blahblah:

After 10 pages of comments here, and the same conversation going on ATS, I'm beginning to fall off of the fence and land on the "this post did exactly what yaha wanted it to do -- get a rise out of everyone here." :blahblah:

Suppose that he now comes out with a 3rd or 4th version of the "whole truth" that this was all concocted just to get a rise out of everyone. Are we expected to believe it? Maybe some of our law enforcement buddies can chime in on what they would or wouldn't believe.

By the way, if the fence becomes too high, don't worry. We'll try to catch you before you land.

Chris

"... I am still shocked that a educated Aviator didn't understand the value of these coins..."

And now from your above post to this thread (with my having placed some of your text in bold):

"After having a nice discussion with this Pilot, he DIDN'T care for the coins he was cashing in. He knew what he had, I felt by talking to him, he needed to cash in his Silver because his fear of his deployment they wouldn't be he when or if he came back.. He has heard of the fly by night companies at Hotels that give money for Silver and Gold and didn't like what he heard, so he wanted face value Fee free for his coins. Simple, end of story.. Again, he assured me he knew price of metals."

Care to go for best two out of three, by providing another version of the story?

To me, and uneducated (in coins) person, can still know the price of metals, not care for the coins you're cashing in, and still not understand the value of the coins.

Example:

Yes, I know gold and silver are up ( I see it on the TV every day). I have coins I don't want so I am cashing them in and I don't understand how a $1 coin can be worth $300.

To me, and uneducated (in coins) person, can still know the price of metals, not care for the coins you're cashing in, and still not understand the value of the coins.

Example:

Yes, I know gold and silver are up ( I see it on the TV every day). I have coins I don't want so I am cashing them in and I don't understand how a $1 coin can be worth $300.

So, he "knew what he had" and he "knew price of metals", and, according to the OP, was offered $600 for the coins, but, according to you, somehow, he still didn't understand their value and wanted $340, instead.

I guess almost anything is possible. But that makes no sense. And to me, the combined version of the OP's story is not credible.

Example:

So, he "knew what he had" and he "knew price of metals", and, according to the OP, was offered $600 for the coins, but, according to you, somehow, he still didn't understand their value and wanted $340, instead.

I guess almost anything is possible. But that makes no sense. And to me, the combined version of the OP's story is not credible.

I wasn't there nor do I know which side is true, I was just stating that one could know medal prices, not understand the value of coins, and still want to get rid of them. There are times where I wonder how a face value one cent piece can be worth hundreds of dollars. Do I know better do to a little research; yes. To some people a quarter is worth $0.25 no matter what the date and a $1.00 silver coin is worth $1.00 because that's what it says.

(shrug)

Does it all make sense? Not really.

Example:

Likewise, "He knew what he had" and "He knew he had silver" (my words) read exactly the same as "He knew he had Silver (but didn't care)" (again, my additional words since folks really like to read stuff into posts).

I can fully understand how someone could be fed up to the point where they just want to get rid of the coins, even thouigh they have silver, because have HAVE experienced that very same situation and JUST recently. A $940 bag of Kennedy's turned in at the bank for face value (even though the depositor was advised that there could be silver in the bag and worth a lot more) yeilded and additional $1,100 in silver coins.

My win, her loss (or her husbands who was the real hoarder) but for whatever reason she was dumping the stuff.............. "just to get rid of it" (her words). BTW, there were some really nice copper-nickel clad varieties in that bag as well. All neatly sorted into rolls. Whomever hoarded these, knew what they were doing.

This is really a tough crowd for folks that have difficult in expressing themselves as MANY like to READ stuff into POSTS that simply is not true.

OBVIOUSLY, the fellow didn't know he had $10,000 in rare coins but OBVIOUSLY he knew he had silver and OBVIOUSLY he didn't know the value and to think otherwise is just ridiculous IMO. Otherwise, he MIGHT have marched down to a coin shop where (hopefully the dealer didn't offer 8x face) he might have gotten what some folks believe to be fair market value. OR some other fellow might come on here and go OMG I couldn't believe that a dealer ONLY offere 8x face for a bag of silver! (I wonder how many clad coins were in George's bag since he didn;t really say? ANY IKEs?)

But then, unless otherwise specified, the general consensus on this and many other forums appears to be that people are generally stupid regarding coins and need educating OR they're sheisters looking to RIP off the unsuspecting stupid people! OR, they're dealers and should know better!

At any rate, It was also supposed to be near closing time anyway.

Was it a Friday night?

Was the fellow getting deployed the following morning?

Personally, I try NOT to READ so much negative stuff into peoples posts meaning this is not aimed solely at George's defense.

But, whatever, the Lynch Mob wins one more for the "team"!

Example:

Likewise, "He knew what he had" and "He knew he had silver" (my words) read exactly the same as "He knew he had Silver (but didn't care)" (again, my additional words since folks really like to read stuff into posts).

I can fully understand how someone could be fed up to the point where they just want to get rid of the coins, even thouigh they have silver, because have HAVE experienced that very same situation and JUST recently. A $940 bag of Kennedy's turned in at the bank for face value (even though the depositor was advised that there could be silver in the bag and worth a lot more) yeilded and additional $1,100 in silver coins.

My win, her loss (or her husbands who was the real hoarder) but for whatever reason she was dumping the stuff.............. "just to get rid of it" (her words). BTW, there were some really nice copper-nickel clad varieties in that bag as well. All neatly sorted into rolls. Whomever hoarded these, knew what they were doing.

This is really a tough crowd for folks that have difficult in expressing themselves as MANY like to READ stuff into POSTS that simply is not true.

OBVIOUSLY, the fellow didn't know he had $10,000 in rare coins but OBVIOUSLY he knew he had silver and OBVIOUSLY he didn't know the value and to think otherwise is just ridiculous IMO. Otherwise, he MIGHT have marched down to a coin shop where (hopefully the dealer didn't offer 8x face) he might have gotten what some folks believe to be fair market value. OR some other fellow might come on here and go OMG I couldn't believe that a dealer ONLY offere 8x face for a bag of silver! (I wonder how many clad coins were in George's bag since he didn;t really say? ANY IKEs?)

But then, unless otherwise specified, the general consensus on this and many other forums appears to be that people are generally stupid regarding coins and need educating OR they're sheisters looking to RIP off the unsuspecting stupid people! OR, they're dealers and should know better!

At any rate, It was also supposed to be near closing time anyway.

Was it a Friday night?

Was the fellow getting deployed the following morning?

Personally, I try NOT to READ so much negative stuff into peoples posts meaning this is not aimed solely at George's defense.

But, whatever, the Lynch Mob wins one more for the "team"!

Whatever anyone thinks of the OP's actions, as I mentioned earlier, I think our reactions might have been very different, had he not gloated about his purchase. Especially under the circumstances as relayed to us.

Example:

It makes "no sense" to you Mark but obviously and for whatever reason, it made sense to the fellow selling the coins who, if you recall, was turning them into a coin counter for face value in the first place. Why on earth would someone thats turning coins in a face value suddenly want MORE money from someone offering to help? I mean, the fellow wasn't getting them to go into the machine and was apparently angry or frustrated about it so someone walks up and offers to buy (or help) so the fellow now wants MORE money?

-------------------------------

"Say, can I help you?"

"Danged Machine just isn't accepting this change and I gotta be somewhere in 30 minutes!"

"What's the hurry?"

"I'm getting redeployed tomorrow and instead of leaving this laying around I wanted to cash it in. You know, just in case."

"Have you got any Half Dollars in there?"

"Yes, and this STUPID machine isn't TAKING them!"

"No, this machine doesn't accept Half Dollars. Only quarters." "Got any silver Half Dollars in there?"

"Yes I do but I just want to get rid of this stuff for blah blah blah reasons"

"Well, how much have you got in there?"

"I counted it out last night at about $340-$350."

"Well, how about if I give ya $600 for it, sight unseen?"

"Nah, I couldn't do that. I mean, I don't really know how much this stuff is worth or even how much silver is really in here and I'd feel bad about taking your money since I was just going to cash them in anyway. Truth be told, I just don't have the time to stand in line while the cashier counts them all out which is why I thought I could use this STUPID machine! There's half's and quarters and nickels, dimes, pennies and even some silver dollars."

"Silver Dollars?" "Really"

"Yeah, there's IKE's and some of those old silver dollars......."

"Well, those can be worth a lot more than $1 each!" "Why don;t you take them to a coin shop?"

"I would but, unfortunately I waited until the last minute andI just don't have the time."

"Well, I hate to but if thats what you want to do, it sounds great with me."

----------------------------------------------

It makes no sense to you because you, and others, simply do not want it to make sense. Folks just refuse to believe that some folks simply DO NOT CARE and only zero in on the fact that they've got "x amount" in face value and they want it now.

Others folks choose to zero in on the unbelievability of these stories (unless of course it was 10 rolls of 1964 Kennedy's purchased at the bank for face value) and begin to pick the stories apart one word at a time.

At least, thats what it looks like to me.

Whatever anyone thinks of the OP's actions, as I mentioned earlier, I think our reactions might have been very different, had he not gloated about his purchase. Especially under the circumstances as relayed to us. Everybody Gloats Mark.

When I score big, be it silver or some obscure variety, I gloat in my post about it.

Folks like to feel good about their finds which is only human nature.