• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recent huge Score at Local Military Credit Union.. UPDATED..

147 posts in this topic

Right place at the right time..

Was paying off a loan for a recent Roof Replacement on my home last week at my wife's Credit Union when leaving I heard this weird clinking/clanging and noticed a young Military Pilot trying to cash in his bags of coins in the coin counter.

The machine for some reason wouldn't take his coins.. I told him did he have any Half dollars and he told me yes, also Silver dollars.

Well, I then asked him how much did he think he had and I would buy them from him since it was near closing and this dude seemed peed off because the machine wouldn't take them and we agreed. I took a chance without seeing what he had and took his word on the amount.

What happened next was very fulfilling with joy.. I hit the Morgan, Peace dollar jackpot. I will only offer this. 5 figure book values and upper 4 figure Silver Melt value.

Also, had many Walkers and Franklins with numerous Silver% Kens.

Rare CC Morgans and Peace dollars in Vf/Au condition, along with a bunch of Slider Walkers and Franklins. I also had many Silver Canadian quarters in the hooch..

Investment was $349.. New coins/Silver to my collection.. PRICELESS!!!!.

Lastly, I never knew that Military credit unions were fee free on coin machines and didn't know the machines don't take anything larger than Quarters.

I hope he didn't cash in his grand dads coin collection.. I am still shocked that a educated Aviator didn't understand the value of these coins and am sick that I didn't have a chance at the other bags of coins he did get through the coin counter.

Excellent!! You ripped off a young man defending our country. That should make you feel pretty good about yourself. There are a lot veterans and even some active duty on these boards, myself included, that probably think you're a greedy SOB.

Was paying off a loan for a recent Roof Replacement on my home last week at my wife's Credit Union when leaving I heard this weird clinking/clanging and noticed a young Military Pilot trying to cash in his bags of coins in the coin counter.

The machine for some reason wouldn't take his coins.. I told him did he have any Half dollars and he told me yes, also Silver dollars.

Well, I then asked him how much did he think he had and I would buy them from him since it was near closing and this dude seemed peed off because the machine wouldn't take them and we agreed. I took a chance without seeing what he had and took his word on the amount.

What happened next was very fulfilling with joy.. I hit the Morgan, Peace dollar jackpot. I will only offer this. 5 figure book values and upper 4 figure Silver Melt value.

Rare CC Morgans and Peace dollars in Vf/Au condition, along with a bunch of Slider Walkers and Franklins. I also had many Silver Canadian quarters in the hooch..

Lastly, I never knew that Military credit unions were fee free on coin machines and didn't know the machines don't take anything larger than Quarters.

I hope he didn't cash in his grand dads coin collection.. I am still shocked that a educated Aviator didn't understand the value of these coins and am sick that I didn't have a chance at the other bags of coins he did get through the coin counter.

Am I understanding correctly, that at the time you bought the coins, you had good reason to believe you were buying them for only a fraction of their true value? And made no effort to pay a fair price, merely because the seller didn't know what he had? I sure hope that was not really the case.

Huh? Just because he was about to do something dumb doesn't mean it's okay to rip him off. Why not take him aside and look through his stuff, give him a fair price that earns you a little too? Wouldn't you feel good about that?

Sorry, I just don't see the joy in taking advantage of people.

Lance.

If he were ever to find this out, do not accept a ride with him in the co-pilots ejection seat.

Or at least be wary if he says "Go ahead and tug on anything red whenever you want."

Huh? Just because he was about to do something dumb doesn't mean it's okay to rip him off. Why not take him aside and look through his stuff, give him a fair price that earns you a little too? Wouldn't you feel good about that?

Sorry, I just don't see the joy in taking advantage of people.

Lance.

I sure would feel good about it but then I wasn't there, it was supposed to be close to closing time and the young fellow was a bit irritated and rushed that he wasn't getting the coins to go through the machine. It sounded to me like this was one of those rushed scenario's where all the fellow wanted was his face value and he didn't really care for any "extra" value. Sure its hard to believe but there are people out there that feel like this. Just maybe, the young man didn't "want" to go the extra mile?

Of course, there's always the possibility that "maybe the coins didn't really belong to this young man"? I mean, just because your in the military doesn't automatically mean you're an upstanding law abiding American Hero..

If the young man was changing them in at face value in a coinstar machine anyway, whats the problem?

The machine didn't have the ability to tell the person his coins were worth multiples of face value. On the other hand, the buyer did.

1) Learn how to form a proper sentence with correct grammar.

2) If this story is true you’re a worthless P.O.S for ripping the guy off. I hope all the coins are counterfeit.

I've always been a firm believer in the statement "if you have nothing good to say, its better not to say anything". This is one of those moments, all I will say is that I truly hope this is not how it actually happened.

-Chris#2

1) Learn how to form a proper sentence with correct grammar.

2) If this story is true you’re a worthless P.O.S for ripping the guy off. I hope all the coins are counterfeit.

I agree strongly with point #2.

You are low class.

There have been a couple of occasions on another forum where I have been "put down" for berating someone for this same type of behavior, and it's reassuring to know that I am not alone for feeling this way.

I only want to ask the OP one question.

How would you have reacted if someone had done the same to your mother or grandmother?

Chris

I find it hard to believe the man did not know the value of silver. He must have needed to dump them fast. I'm thinking he gained the coins in less than an honest manner. Buying from someone like this is always questionable.

I'm not buying the story at this point.

Once again... The Mob is attacking.. I will clearly make it clear..

A gentleman in a Air Force pilots scrubs, was getting pissed off because his coins weren't going through the coin machine.. I heard noise, I went over and chatted, he told me he had Half dollars after I asked and told me he had Silver dollars too.

I asked him what he was asking for the coins, he told me he counted them at a earlier time, he gave me a price, I bought them, he thanked me.

I went home, opened the bags and again hit the jackpot.

I don't see nothing wrong with... But.. once again a person that didn't have any idea of saving coins, showed up and dumped his coins into a bank coin machine and the rest is history.

Some of you guys have tooooo much time on your hands, as for my grammar, well that's your problem..

I thought I would share a story, a true one..

The bank had no F-ing problem putting a machine in their bank and some teller or manager would of scored.

I am not a bad person that many think I am. RIGHT PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME.!!

Lastly, I am glad the bags wasn't full of Slugs huh... Then we would of had a story of how stupid I was buying something in a bag that I didn't check out.

Once again... The Mob is attacking.. I will clearly make it clear..

A gentleman in a Air Force pilots scrubs, was getting pissed off because his coins weren't going through the coin machine.. I heard noise, I went over and chatted, he told me he had Half dollars after I asked and told me he had Silver dollars too.

I asked him what he was asking for the coins, he told me he counted them at a earlier time, he gave me a price, I bought them, he thanked me.

I went home, opened the bags and again hit the jackpot.

I don't see nothing wrong with... But.. once again a person that didn't have any idea of saving coins, showed up and dumped his coins into a bank coin machine and the rest is history.

Some of you guys have tooooo much time on your hands, as for my grammar, well that's your problem..

I thought I would share a story, a true one..

The bank had no F-ing problem putting a machine in their bank and some teller or manager would of scored.

I am not a bad person that many think I am. RIGHT PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME.!!

Lastly, I am glad the bags wasn't full of Slugs huh... Then we would of had a story of how stupid I was buying something in a bag that I didn't check out.

While many posters doubted your story, sadly, I believe you.

Sure, better YOU (who had an opportunity to pay a fair price), score, rather than someone else/a teller or whomever, who wouldn't have been in a position to pay a fair price. Give yourself another big pat on the back.

FACTS STATED BY THE OP:

"....and I would buy them from him SINCE IT WAS NEAR CLOSING AND THIS DUDE SEEMED PEED OFF BECAUSE THE MACHINE WOULDN'T TAKE THEM AND WE AGREED...."

"....I took a chance WITHOUT SEEING WHAT HE HAD AND TOOK HIS WORD on the amount...".

"... I hope he didn't cash in his grand dads coin collection..." (stated AFTER having discovered what was in the bags that were bought sight unseen and on the word of the Seller concerning the face value).

Honorable intention because of Uniform?

Trust of fellow man?

Not very smart?

Evil intent?

If we change the Uniform for a moment - a well dressed person with obvious ability to read a book, a poorly dressed street person, a person dressed in gang colors, a person with a child/dog/cat, a General/Senator/ Member of Congress, would our individual thoughts be the same?

If we change the location to the local Coin Show/ Pawn Shop, or...(your choice...), would our individual thoughts be the same?

How is the transaction different from buying rolls at the local Bank?

How is this transaction different from bidding on the contents of a storage unit?

How is the transaction different than buying a piece of furniture at a local Church Auction and then finding hidden value inside?

Please answer in 50 words or less, and we will not be grading punctuation or language usage or spelling today.

Oh, and the OP did not state what his intent is concerning the windfall.

Respectfully (always)

John Curlis

FACTS STATED BY THE OP:

"....and I would buy them from him SINCE IT WAS NEAR CLOSING AND THIS DUDE SEEMED PEED OFF BECAUSE THE MACHINE WOULDN'T TAKE THEM AND WE AGREED...."

"....I took a chance WITHOUT SEEING WHAT HE HAD AND TOOK HIS WORD on the amount...".

"... I hope he didn't cash in his grand dads coin collection..." (stated AFTER having discovered what was in the bags that were bought sight unseen and on the word of the Seller concerning the face value).

Honorable intention because of Uniform?

Trust of fellow man?

Not very smart?

Evil intent?

If we change the Uniform for a moment - a well dressed person with obvious ability to read a book, a poorly dressed street person, a person dressed in gang colors, a person with a child/dog/cat, a General/Senator/ Member of Congress, would our individual thoughts be the same?

If we change the location to the local Coin Show/ Pawn Shop, or...(your choice...), would our individual thoughts be the same?

How is the transaction different from buying rolls at the local Bank?

How is this transaction different from bidding on the contents of a storage unit?

How is the transaction different than buying a piece of furniture at a local Church Auction and then finding hidden value inside?

Please answer in 50 words or less, and we will not be grading punctuation or language usage or spelling today.

Oh, and the OP did not state what his intent is concerning the windfall.

Respectfully (always)

John Curlis

Excellent post, John. This is how I would answer your questions - in more than 50 words, so as to give them their deserved due ;) - and I understand that opinions will vary, probably considerably.

"Honorable intention because of Uniform?"

No, the uniform makes little difference, despite my respect and gratitude for our military

"Trust of fellow man?"

That is up to each individual. I prefer that neither party in such a transaction gets a great or terrible deal. Accordingly, I would have at least attempted a sight-seen transaction.

"Not very smart?"

The seller might have been smart, but uninformed. I wont comment on the buyer.

"Evil intent?"

I don't know, but hope not. Actually, on second thought, even if the intent of the buyer were based on greed, I wouldn't label it "evil".

"If we change the Uniform for a moment - a well dressed person with obvious ability to read a book, a poorly dressed street person, a person dressed in gang colors, a person with a child/dog/cat, a General/Senator/ Member of Congress, would our individual thoughts be the same?"

No.

"If we change the location to the local Coin Show/ Pawn Shop, or...(your choice...), would our individual thoughts be the same?"

No.

"How is the transaction different from buying rolls at the local Bank?"

It would depend upon the level of knowledge of the bank teller, as compared to the buyer in this instance. However, the OP/buyer might have been in a position to pay a fair price to the seller, whereas in most cases, a bank teller would not.

"How is this transaction different from bidding on the contents of a storage unit?"

In that scenario, there is no opportunity to pay a fair price to the seller/owner of the property.

"How is the transaction different than buying a piece of furniture at a local Church Auction and then finding hidden value inside?"

Again, in that scenario, there is no opportunity to pay a fair price to the owner.