• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1914 s Buffalo Nickle

10 posts in this topic

I'm fairly new to the boards, so don't take me too seriously, but I lean towards altered surfaces from a cleaning and artificial toning. The lighting does wonders for showing the depth of the strike as well as the color, but throws off my grade-o-meter. I will say that the scratch under PLURIBUS and a few others will hold it back.

~~~It isn't currently graded, right?...... If not, there might be a reason for that.

I have no idea on the grade since I don't have anything in my ownership to compare it to, but as a guess, I would say the strike itself is around a MS64-66 range. I am not sure how badly the scratch on the reverse will affect the overall grade, but the strike is fantastic in my opinion. I must say that I love the blue color it shows. Nice strong strike, but just as Ryan S. pointed out, thats a pretty deep scratch/gouge under PLURIBUS.

-Chris#2

It looks to be a potentially nice Buffalo. With the glare, it's really hard to tell what the actual colors are wether it is AT or NT. Looks correct on the clash tho'. Matches up pretty good with the chin on the obv.

OK, let's take this one step at a time.

Strike: Most photos can give you a good idea of strike. This one is pretty damn good for an S mint.

Marks: It is questionable what it is under "pluribus" but if it is raised then it's a die clash. The photo isn't good enough to tell. I don't note any circulation marks so the rub that might be there on the Buffalo's hip could be just from an album. Can't really see that either. EDIT TO ADD: That might be a lamination under the motto.

Luster: Now we get to an area that makes the photo almost useless. It is very hard to see luster even on a Morgan dollar in a photo let alone a Buff. The photo looks "shiny". ??

Color/Eye Appeal: Again the photo is odd here. If done right a photo can show the true color. The coloring just doesn't suggest AT to me. I mean, WHY bother since the color doesn't look all that good. The one area that screams NT to me is the rainbow below "1914" around the "F". Other than that the photo just isn't very good.

Grade: I haven't a clue. lol

jom

Strike: Most photos can give you a good idea of strike. This one is pretty damn good for an S mint.

To temper your assessment a wee bit, the strike is about on par for 1914-S. It's an issue that doesn't usually have strike problems.

The strike is exceptionable especially the "center" of this piece, both obverse & reverse. Not very good separation on the rim by "Liberty" on the obverse. The image however has a lot of reflection and contrast, makes it hard to access this Buff. If it helps, I have this 1914-S graded by NGC with the assigned grade of 64+. If it matters, it's the only 1914-S to receive a +. I was told by the seller he cracked it out of a 65 holder resubmitted it and it came back 64+. This is a pretty accurate image of this coin, so maybe it will help you compare yours in hand to this 64+. From what I can see the strike on your Buff has me beat, from the images you have put up, however, I do question the color....Joe

040.jpg

041-2.jpg