• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1884 S cartwheel

14 posts in this topic

I have been trying to compare this to different, graded versions. I am 99 percent sure it is AU but trying to narrow it further. I have seen some PCGS graded AU-55's that are close, but then i have seen some that are close to AU-53 as well. What do you think?

114688.jpg.ab85b72fe68766ce214962e8998f76b3.jpg

114689.jpg.9b4ba5e9ecff9e2001935430f41379dc.jpg

I would guess AU-55, but the surface looks a little suspicious. Not sure what you are asking about "cartwheel" but if you are asking if your coin shows any I would have to say not from these pictures.

I wouldn't go above AU 53 Details on that coin.

This coin was definitely wiped.

See how there is more patina around the lettering UNITED and the spaces in between are shinier. It appears dull, too.

i must be unsure what cartwheel means. i thought i read somewhere that Morgans were nicknamed "cartwheels." If i am wrong, please enlighten me as to what "cartwheel" means.

They are nicknamed cartwheels but that is a reference to their original mint luster, which is called cartwheel luster.

Hence, this is where the name is derived.

the luster seems impaired

the following link shows someones half dollar with cartwheel luster

the reverse when they rotate it, reflects around and around

the obverse does the same, but not in a circle but random

the obverse on that coin has impaired luster

- either clenaed, or whizzed - but not normal mint luster

you need mint luster at the periphery at least for a coin to grade AU

I'm new to this forum. I see references to cleaned coins, as well as whizzed and surface altered. What can someone tell me about these terms? I looked at these images and the coins look dirty. Why would cleaning the coin (and by what methods) leave this coin so dirty looking?

I'm new to this forum. I see references to cleaned coins, as well as whizzed and surface altered. What can someone tell me about these terms? I looked at these images and the coins look dirty. Why would cleaning the coin (and by what methods) leave this coin so dirty looking?

The coin seems to look "dirty" because cleaning a coin removes the luster. An uncleaned AU/MS coin should shine, and have a cartwheel affect if it is tilted around in light. An improperly cleaned coin looks dull.

Cleaning: Using methods to enhance the appearance of the coin (not changing the devices, mintmark,...) that has a detrimental effect to the surface of the coin.

Whizzed: Considered by many to be the worst type of cleaning, where the metal of the coin is moved around (like using spinning metal to clean the coin, or brushing the coin).

Conserve: Cleaning a coin, but with one major difference: it does not alter the surface of the coin, the luster stays intact, and there are no detectible hairlines from the procedure.