• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buying a Metal Detector...

26 posts in this topic

I read the entire Metal Detecting 101 -- Got Questions? board and wondered out to see what my local Academy Sports has in stock.

They have four metal detectors that range from $99.99 - $199.99. I am leaning more towards the $139.99 Bounty Hunter Quick Silver Metal Detector and wondered what your thoughts are.

10083916.jpg

Cool Hobby...

I like the Garrett Metal Detectors, the Ace Series ( 150, 250 & 300 ) is a good starting place and one you should consider. The Ace250 @ $212 would be my choice but I got a killer deal on a 1250 when they came out with the new models...

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/garrett/garrett.htm

Good Luck on your New Adventure...

I don't know the first thing about metal detectors, and it seems that no dealer around here is interested in helping me. A few times I had occasion to be in different stores that had 10-12 models on display, and when I asked someone to show me the model that would tell me when silver would hit $100 an ounce, they just laughed at me and walked away.

Chris

I have used the Bounty Hunter Series metal detectors for more than a few years now. They do work very well as an entry level unit. Some of the items that myself and my step-father had found with one has been gold rings, burried coins, gold nuggets while on a trip in northern georgia, etc. I forget exactly which model my step-father uses, but his works well in the salt water along the beaches of Fort Myers, Sanibel Island, Marco Island, etc. He has found several gold and silver shipwreck coins with in a couple hours after a huricane had passed.

-Chris#2

Just got back from a week on Nantucket where my $100 Bounty Hunter from Walmart hed treated me fairly well in the past. Upgraded to a Fisher that told me what I was looking at and skipped a lot of junk and managed to pull about 75 coins (nothing great) and 1 silver ring. I did pick some old shell cartridges and a nice pot pipe.

I have used the Bounty Hunter Series metal detectors for more than a few years now. They do work very well as an entry level unit. Some of the items that myself and my step-father had found with one has been gold rings, burried coins, gold nuggets while on a trip in northern georgia, etc. I forget exactly which model my step-father uses, but his works well in the salt water along the beaches of Fort Myers, Sanibel Island, Marco Island, etc. He has found several gold and silver shipwreck coins with in a couple hours after a huricane had passed.

-Chris#2

Good info Chris! I live in Central AL, so I am able to head to the Gulf Coast after a hurricane if needed. (Being an emergency responder with an emergency vehicle can help too - lol)

Being that this is my first detector, I might go for the $139 Bounty Hunter. In the future, I too may upgrade to a Garrett model. Gotta start somewhere; right?

It reall depends on how serious you want to get into it also., I have a Garrett 1500 which is a little pricey but this thing will pinpoint a coin very nicely.

"Being that this is my first detector, I might go for the $139 Bounty Hunter. In the future, I too may upgrade to a Garrett model. Gotta start somewhere; right?"

It's All Good, Worst thing that could happen is you have a Great Time...

Give Us a Report...

I have owned two detectors over the years (Garett & Whites) and spent 100's of hours finding nothing so personally I do not recommend purchasing one. Frankly you will hear a lot of glory stories about metal detecting finds and certainly some are true but it's all about location, location, location. The two I owned were in the $800+ range and I still never found anything that would have allowed me to even recoup a tenth of what i spent. I searched parks, old fort areas, the beaches....all turned up nothing but a dirty spade and a sore back and knees :censored:

As for the fun aspect.....detecting in 100 degree heat and finding zipo here in Orlando was not my idea of a lot of fun so like I said....don't get your hopes up as you are likely to find very little of interest especially with a cheap $139 dollar detector. :P

I have owned two detectors over the years (Garett & Whites) and spent 100's of hours finding nothing so personally I do not recommend purchasing one. Frankly you will hear a lot of glory stories about metal detecting finds and certainly some are true but it's all about location, location, location. The two I owned were in the $800+ range and I still never found anything that would have allowed me to even recoup a tenth of what i spent. I searched parks, old fort areas, the beaches....all turned up nothing but a dirty spade and a sore back and knees :censored:

As for the fun aspect.....detecting in 100 degree heat and finding zipo here in Orlando was not my idea of a lot of fun so like I said....don't get your hopes up as you are likely to find very little of interest especially with a cheap $139 dollar detector. :P

Wow, thanks for spoiling my dreams, Shane. :baiting:

Just got back from a week on Nantucket where my $100 Bounty Hunter from Walmart hed treated me fairly well in the past. Upgraded to a Fisher that told me what I was looking at and skipped a lot of junk and managed to pull about 75 coins (nothing great) and 1 silver ring. I did pick some old shell cartridges and a nice pot pipe.
What is the model number on the Fisher?

It reall depends on how serious you want to get into it also., I have a Garrett 1500 which is a little pricey but this thing will pinpoint a coin very nicely.

That is the same one I use. Very good at filtering out the trash.

MM

Your welcome ;)

I just see these threads pretty often and everyone thinks they are going to walk out the door and find coins and jewelry all over the place and the reality is that most will find nothing that would justify the cost and in my experience...it's only fun if your finding something.

I wish the thread starter much luck on his hunts if he purchases a detector..... (thumbs u

Your welcome ;)

I just see these threads pretty often and everyone thinks they are going to walk out the door and find coins and jewelry all over the place and the reality is that most will find nothing that would justify the cost and in my experience...it's only fun if your finding something.

I wish the thread starter much luck on his hunts if he purchases a detector..... (thumbs u

Haha. Thanks. I have no plans on finding coins/jewelry all over. I just like finding 'stuff' and if that 'stuff' turns out to be good 'stuff' then so be it. My parents still own the family farm back in Illinois and I would LOVE to head back up there and look around the yard for a week.

Metal detecting is also a hobby. I bought my Garrett 1500 on ebay for a little over $400 for an $800 detector. I don't ever expect to get my money back but it's precision keeps me from, Quote:"nothing but a dirty spade and a sore back and knees". I have found quite a bit of modern coinage, a few old wheaties, a gold plated watch, and a couple oddball things. The fun for me is just being able to find stuff that may have been in the ground for a few yrs or more. It's a hobby that a person has to take with a lot of patience. I may not ever get my money back, but I do enjoy the hunt!!!

My Fisher is the F2. Around $200, depending on the "package" from Kellyco. My $100 Bounty Hunter paid for itself (although not for the batteries). I do agree that the enjoyment is in the hunt. Maybe someday my Fisher will pay for itself too. In the meantime, I'll scout around and see what I dig up. "one man's junk......."

My Fisher is the F2. Around $200, depending on the "package" from Kellyco. My $100 Bounty Hunter paid for itself (although not for the batteries). I do agree that the enjoyment is in the hunt. Maybe someday my Fisher will pay for itself too. In the meantime, I'll scout around and see what I dig up. "one man's junk......."
I just ordered the F2 model.

As for detectors, I have always used Whites, but any of the brands that you take time to know and understand how it runs will work for you.

Some of the major names are Fisher, Garrette, Minelab, Tesoro and I know there are a bunch of others just as good. Try to stay away from most Radio shack or Wal Mart sold detectors if you want to be serious about the hobby.

The key to good finds is research. I have MDed since 1996 and am by no means an expert. I have found my share of oldies.

This following picture is from my own land. You see they had originally planned on putting my home town there but instead decided to use land a mile west which is where my current home town is today. There was a post office, lumber mill and school on my corner. the only evidence of that settlement found today is bits of glass, nails, etc...and the picture below.

On my place this was always an empty field in my lifetime. The last house here was gone by 1900. My dad and I had found these coins and tokens over about a ten year period. Some times we would go for a few days without any coins, other times we would find one or two in an evening.

NorthFieldobverse-resized.jpg

If you want to know more about detectors go to treasurenet.com. There is a wealth of information about the metal detecting hobby. My user name on those forums at tnet is Scott (MI).

Good Luck

A bit more - in regards to research. Your local historical society may be helpful, also your local library.

What you want to do is locate old plat maps. These are a type of map that show who land owners were and most will also show dwelling locations. This is how I found that there were houses and a couple of businesses on my place from the 1850's up to the 1890's.

When I first started out I went to the county register of deeds and got old plat copies for a buck each, right from microfilm. Then I learned about the Historical state library in Lansing having the same microfilm with copies for a dime each.

Since then I have purchased the hard cover research books from a couple of historical societies. I am now the treasurer at my home town historical society.

Here is a little snippet from one of my maps. This is an area out in the middle of the country that is just farm fields today. The plat map shows a Church as CH and a school. This type of map is really helpful when trying to find a place to detect. Just make sure you have permission from the land owner.

Hamilton.jpg

One thing - it is rare to ever become rich from detecting, but it is a fun hobby, just like fishing, as you never know what you will bring in.

Good Luck.