• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1917 buffalo nickel

11 posts in this topic

Nope -- just trying to show the deformed rubber gasket or whatever you call the

interior ring -- I have been running into this alot with pcgs coins. Has anyone ever

seen a similar problem with ngc coins? I have not noticed a similar problem with

ngc coins. Go into the heritage auction archives and look at the 1927-p SP65

specimen strike buffalo nickel that sold for over 40 grand. That has to have one

of the worst deteriorated gaskets I have ever seen. I have to wonder if the pcgs

gaskets are not just becoming like that over time. If this were my coin it would

get reholdered. With the cost of slabbing your would think especially the big time

tpg's would go the exta mile to create a quality rubber gasket.

I'm thinking the gasket looked like that the day it was made.

Agreed....I have a few just like the one your showing. Do I like this? Heck no.....

I have to wonder if the pcgs gaskets are not just becoming like that over time. If this were my coin it would get reholdered. With the cost of slabbing your would think especially the big time tpg's would go the exta mile to create a quality rubber gasket.

Unfortunately, I don't think it's a matter of the age of the gasket. I have a 2008 and a 2009 SMS/Satin Finish coin both with hideous gasket issues from PCGS. If you meant reholdered by NGC, then that may help. If you send it back to PCGS you'll probably get another "goopy" looking gasket. I personally think they should reholder these types of coins at no charge, as it is a quality issue on their part, not on yours. This isn't like a scratched holder...this is down right poor quality control.

This is the reverse side of the pcgs sp65 1927 specimen/proof buffalo nickel.

It sold for over 40K.

Look at the gasket!!

Ugh!!!

lf.jpg

And they say a picture is worth a thousand words?

nuff said!