• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"1922" buffalo nickel !

26 posts in this topic

1922buff11.jpg

Here are 8 photos of a 1922 buffalo nickel false piece that I have. For all the world it looks real but of course it cannot be. I guess this is the next best thing to owning a real 1922 buff. Looks to be about vf30 in grade and total natural, no remants of any kind of monkey business around the date. A friend of mine (Ron Pope) did point out that the style of the 2's is from the late 1920's Any one ever see another one of these??

Somebody did a pretty good job in making this date. How did you come by it?

Welcome to the boards, BTW.

It is possible to include many images in one post. It might be a little easier to follow.

Cool! Looks like a really expertly done alteration.
Yep, and it was obviously a 1933 before the alteration was performed.

;)

I am the Ron Pope Tom mentions.

I have seen the coin-someone took a lot of time and skill to make this one and did an outstanding job.

To be specific, I actually believe it was altered from a 1920. The date position was changed in 1926 (and through the end of the series) where the final digit lies partially on top of the ribbon tie on the left. The subject coin has that final digit to the left of that ribbon tie like all pre 1926 coins do so it must be pre 1926. I would think a 1920 would be the easiest date to alter-easier than the 1923, '24, or '25.

Are you sure it's altered? The more I look at it the more I think the whole thing is "off". I suspect a complete fake.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The alteration appears to have been made to a transfer die and not the coin itself. That means there are more of them out there ....

The Chinese have not made any 1922 buffs, but they have made 1930-d, 1934-s, and 1921-d as well as 1939 and 1939-d. I picked up a couple of them.

tom

Joe, I'm sure you'll find a gorgeous steel blue toned MS example. If not you can probably order one from China. :headbang:

I'm not so sure about that one, this is a rare coin and if it was "steel blue" I more than likely couldn't afford it. I'll look for one in the VF-35 range or so.

have you weighed it or done the ring test on it?

looks like a contemporary counterfeit

(maybe one of Hennings early attempts) :juggle: