• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Verdict for the government in 1933 Saints trial...

43 posts in this topic

As noted back in January, I cannot comment on the 1933 DE trial or events until I am told the matter is fully concluded. Those are the legal-world rules and I have to obey them.
But you know it was a good time :makepoint:...however, I suspect you knew what you were in for when you signed up for it.

As noted back in January, I cannot comment on the 1933 DE trial or events until I am told the matter is fully concluded. Those are the legal-world rules and I have to obey them.

Oops, forgot there may be an appeals process. :blush:

After Roger's report on how these gold coins were handled at the US Mint Cashier whiched showed how easy it could have been to obtain them legally, I'm very surprised and disappointed at the outcome of this trial.

I cannot begin to imagine why in the world this would be so friggin important to the gummint! I mean they've wasted untold millions pursuing these coins and for what purpose?

However, as a precedent setting trial, I expect that they should now pursue collecting back all those Proof Error coins from the early 70's that were squirrelled out of the San Francisco Assay Office in the pil pan of that fork lift since those were obviously not monetized and rightfully belong to the US Government!

What about the Sacagawea Mules? Should those be confiscated?

How about the 1913 Liberty Nickels? Confiscation?

If not then WHY NOT which brings me back to why in hell spend so much money on the 10 Saints??

It's just silly.

The 1 legally owned 1933 Saint value probably just went up.

I thinik that the government owns that one too. Remember the government was the only bidder in the room who could get a 50% discount on their auction bid. ;)

I cannot begin to imagine why in the world this would be so friggin important to the gummint! I mean they've wasted untold millions pursuing these coins and for what purpose?

"Saint" Franklin Roosevelt wanted it that way, and we must obey all of his wishes. In case you missed it, I'm not a fan of quite a number of FDR's New Deal programs that were supposed to end The Great Depression. Many of them misfired.

Government will sell them. I give it 7 - 10 years before they are up for auction.

Augustus

Nope.

The money realized from the sale of these coins would be a fine mist, not even a drop in the bucket, compared to the government's current financial woes. Besides that the people who run the Federal Government are too stubborn to allow logic to get in the way. They spent millions to confiscate these coins, and they won’t let them go.

The legal agreement signed by the government for the sale of the first 33 stated that no others would ever be declared legal to own. But it wouldn't be the first time the governement ignored a contract to screw someone over...
Several posters on various coin forums have posted something similar about the existence of such an agreement. And I have a vague recollection of it as well. That said, at the time, I thought it was carefully/ambiguously enough worded so as to provide a possible out to the government.

BUT, I can't find anything in writing to substantiate that agreement. And, when challenged to produce written proof of it, as far as I know, no one has done so. Can you point me to that agreement? Thanks.

The legal agreement signed by the government for the sale of the first 33 stated that no others would ever be declared legal to own. But it wouldn't be the first time the governement ignored a contract to screw someone over...
Several posters on various coin forums have posted something similar about the existence of such an agreement. And I have a vague recollection of it as well. That said, at the time, I thought it was carefully/ambiguously enough worded so as to provide a possible out to the government.

BUT, I can't find anything in writing to substantiate that agreement. And, when challenged to produce written proof of it, as far as I know, no one has done so. Can you point me to that agreement? Thanks.

According to the auction catalog from Stack's and Sotheby's, it was stated that this specimen was the only example the government ever intended to authorize for private ownership and that any other examples that might exist were also government property and subject to seizure. This was reported throughout the press coverage of the sale, but I do not have access to the actual agreement stating such.

It's sad...but I say melt em and put it all behind everyone. If the gov't never was going to sell them originally they should follow through with the original plan now that they have them back.

According to the auction catalog from Stack's and Sotheby's, it was stated that this specimen was the only example the government ever intended to authorize for private ownership and that any other examples that might exist were also government property and subject to seizure. This was reported throughout the press coverage of the sale, but I do not have access to the actual agreement stating such.

Thanks - that sounds about as I remembered it.

Even IF what was reported was accurate....

1) What the government "intended", doesn't sound like a guarantee to me.

and

2) There was no way the government could "guarantee" that other examples would necessarily be determined to be "government property".

In other words, their so-called guarantee, as phrased, might have been illusory.

I'm disappointed but hardly surprised by the verdict.

I look forward to the day RWB can espouse on the proceedings. His examination by the Gov seemed to be the highlight of the trial. Who will play RWB in the movie?

For the Gov not to sell/auction these Saints at a future date with huge fanfare would be sheer lunacy. That is exactly why it will probably never happen. MJ

For the Gov not to sell/auction these Saints at a future date with huge fanfare would be sheer lunacy. That is exactly why it will probably never happen.

Government, sheer lunacy? Sounds like standard operating procedure to me.

It's sad...but I say melt em and put it all behind everyone. If the gov't never was going to sell them originally they should follow through with the original plan now that they have them back.

There is a poll ATS about this. At first I voted "I don't care what they do with them," in the poll, but now melting them seems logical. It would cost a fortune in security to show them to the public, and most the public does not care. So just melt them and be done with it.