• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NEWP Neat 1814 CBH with lots goin on

19 posts in this topic

Lots of cool clashes, neat die break, and is a half-Guido.

The grade on the slab confuses me though, so take a look and for those who know how to grade these, take a guess. And yes that is luster on the cheek!

1814O-103O-1.jpg

1814O-103R.jpg

1814001.jpg

1814002.jpg

1814003.jpg

1814006.jpg

1814005.jpg

1814004.jpg

That's a very cool coin. I love the clashing. I'll take a stab at the grade....AU 55....Very nice!!

I can see how this coin could be a tough one to grade as the obverse show no wear that I can see, but the reverse has some rub on the tips of the feathers on the wing....Great pick up....

AU53, only because you say the grade confuses you.

Just a hint, all fields have complete and unbroken luster, though the fields are uneven due to clashing, which makes it tough to show, and there is nearly complete luster on the Lady Liberty as well.

I'd throw an ms 62 to it but wouldn't be surprised to see au58 with what looks like a bit of rub on the hair

It is very difficult to grade this coin by the pictures, because I cannot see the obverse wear pattern. Since you are apparently not pleased with the grade, I suspect NGC 50, or even a long shot at NGC 45.

It is very difficult to grade this coin by the pictures, because I cannot see the obverse wear pattern. Since you are apparently not pleased with the grade, I suspect NGC 50, or even a long shot at NGC 45.

I am not displeased, only wondering. And there is no wear pattern, that is why it cannot be seen...

This is graded AU-55. I know NGC does not grade Planchet flaws, and this has a guido pinch, so I think they knocked it down. I would grade it either conservatively a 58, or maybe a 61 or 62. The coin has almost no marks on it, which means it could not have circulated much if at all. The strike is rather shallow, especially by the bust and on the reverse, so if there was wear, the high points would show wear evenly, but the apparent wear is spotty suggesting limited coin to coin contact rather than wear. There is almost unbroken luster on the cheek, and the cheek only has a small pin scratch. The reverse toning is a bit heavy, so luster is somewhat subdued. Looks like there are some flat spots that appear to be wear, but it is strike related I believe and not wear.

Anyway, comparing this with AU-58 and MS 61-63 coins, I don't see much difference, and at a (strong) 55 price, I ain't complaining...

Did that mean that I won becuase I was the closest to what you thought . :wishluck:

I will gladly take that coin as my prize :takeit: .

Do you need my shipping address lol

Martin

It looks very, very nice to me. Please explain half or full guido, as I am not familiar with the term, and think I should know it so as to at least appear to be numismatically intelligent.

Absolutely stunning! My first impression was that this was an AU-62...lot's of neat stuff on this one, I am so jealous! lol

Very nice O-103. From the pics it grades as a solid 58. As Overton states, 1814 is known for generally good strikes. Maybe that influenced the NGC graders to be a little harsher than necessary.

All in all, I'd love to have this coin, congrats on a great pick up.

Carl

I fail to see the planchet flaw..... could you please point it out?

there is no planchet flaw (NGC would detail holder it if there was) but there is a pinch @ 1 o'clock, which makes it a half-guido. A guido is a CBH that went through the edge lettering machine wrong, and has two pinches (if this were a full guido, there would be a second @ 7 o'clock). Usually guidos have screwed up edge lettering.

A guido is a CBH that went through the edge lettering machine wrong, and has two pinches . Usually guidos have screwed up edge lettering.

Excellent definition Dave..... I appreciate that very much.

Lewy