• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coins at Pawn Shop - Opinions Before Purchase

12 posts in this topic

I visited my local pawn shop today to see what kinds of coins they have. They had a couple cases of coins. A couple caught my eye and I wanted to get a couple seasoned coin collectors and/or pros to see if they are worth what they are asking.

I apologize for the picture qualities, the owner was busy with other customers and I didn't ask to have them taken out for inspection.

ff15a2c5.jpg

58409b92.jpg

93a204a1.jpg

2f235ace.jpg

I would pass on all of them. The Morgan is cleaned, overpriced, and ugly. The Walker is worth bullion only, and is common as dirt. The nickel is heavily corroded, and the set there is low grade and cleaned. Unless the pawn shop has someone there who knows what they are doing with coins, pawn shops are terrible places to find good coins.

The stuff may have been "double retail" at some point in the past, but with current silver prices to make such a proclamation is absurd.

The half dollar is virtually 'at melt'. The Morgan is overpriced for my taste, but has a current silver value of $31. The shield nickel may be overpriced, but perhaps such a price is fair for "retail" since your typical Good has a book value around $25... The Americana series set has a silver melt value of about $25. Give a buck for the cent and a buck for the nickel and you have a set valued at $27.

Are the coins particularly good buys? I'd say not. Collectible? Not really. Are they double retail? Absolutely not. I agree with Physics fan and respectfully disagree with everyone else.

I have to add, even tho' these may not be quite at "Double Retail" as mentioned above,unless a person is collecting melt metal, IMO, they are priced double than what they are worth to me.

The stuff may have been "double retail" at some point in the past, but with current silver prices to make such a proclamation is absurd.

The half dollar is virtually 'at melt'. The Morgan is overpriced for my taste, but has a current silver value of $31. The shield nickel may be overpriced, but perhaps such a price is fair for "retail" since your typical Good has a book value around $25... The Americana series set has a silver melt value of about $25. Give a buck for the cent and a buck for the nickel and you have a set valued at $27.

Are the coins particularly good buys? I'd say not. Collectible? Not really. Are they double retail? Absolutely not. I agree with Physics fan and respectfully disagree with everyone else.

As these coins might not 100% double retail, I would surely stay away from these coins no matter what the price is. Many look cleaned and the others look like junk silver. As a buyer you can surely do better than these coins.