• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1839 Bust Half, new purchase.

17 posts in this topic

When I first started collecting about 3 years ago, I bought one that was polished. It's now in a paper envelope and will hopefully tone enough that I can stick it in a Dansco.

I saw this one on eBay and immediately thought it was the coin for me! A fairly nice strike (little weak on star 1 and the corresponding reverse) but nice original surfaces and subtle tone. The seller had another one that was a little darker over all, I like how the center obverse is just a bit lighter than the surroundings. Hope you like it too.

1839busthalfpcgsobv.jpg

1839busthalfpcgsrev.jpg

Very pretty! Great look.

The thread title says 1838 but I'd swear it is a '39.

Lance.

edited to say: fast work!

Thanks for all the comments. Coming from knowledgeable collectors, I am reassured that I bought the right coin. I have a question for those of you who have looked at a lot of these:

Is the weakness of ST on the reverse due to misaligned dies, or is there another explanation? Thanks in advance....

The dies were perfectly aligned when this coin was struck....... this is JR-8 (R-1)...... the weakness to which you refer is in the reverse die..... (it is common to all examples of this variety.

The dies were perfectly aligned when this coin was struck....... this is JR-8 (R-1)...... the weakness to which you refer is in the reverse die..... (it is common to all examples of this variety.

Thanks very much for answering my question, and for the attribution as well!

Finding RE Halves with original color and good strikes is almost impossible. Yours fits the bill.

I was astonished to stumble on a seller that had 2 in xf up for bid in the same auction!

I had not see one I really liked over several weeks of watching eBay.