• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1896-O Morgan

9 posts in this topic

Pics below are the same coin - two different lighting setups.

Interested in thoughts on grade; whether it's worth sending in and thoughts on which photos are best to judge with.

The first set are the ones I took today; the second set were about a week ago. The first set looked quite a bit better on the camera's screen.

CIMG0158.jpg

CIMG0157.jpg

CIMG0154.jpg

CIMG0153.jpg

Thanks everyone,

Blake

The coin clearly has wear, and it is probably a technical AU50. The second set of images makes the coin look cleaned to me. I'll say AU details, and even if it comes back in a graded AU holder, it is not worth sending it in. Additional considerations are the deep scars on the cheek, which in and of itself is enough to preclude many buyers from buying it even without considering the cleaning.

Thanks coinman...I think the second set is definitely misleading as this coin is anything but white. It does give some good detail on the wear and some of the marks though. It actually has a bit of a yellow-ish patina to it; but not as strong as the top pics show.

Blake, I think Coinman nailed it. It has a lot of wear and a lot of hits in the focal areas that detract from overall apearance. I wouldn't think this year would be worth sending in unless at least MS60. I would guess maybe AU53 range on this one.

Thanks coinman...I think the second set is definitely misleading as this coin is anything but white. It does give some good detail on the wear and some of the marks though. It actually has a bit of a yellow-ish patina to it; but not as strong as the top pics show.

The mere fact that a coin has a patina on it doesn't mean the surfaces are original (i.e. undisturbed by an improper cleaning), and coins often tone again after cleaning. Similarly, I would never base the fact that the coin appears blast white as a reason to assume that it has been improperly cleaned. Blast white coins do exist. I was looking at the lack of luster and surface characteristics to make the cleaning determination.

I was thinking around a technical AU55 and that the hits (especially on the profile) will take it down from that for the market. It doesn't look like it's reflecting quite right, too; the surfaces do look a little dead (as in, "cleaned").