• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WEEK #481 HAPPY HAPPY FRIDAY EVERYONE!

16 posts in this topic

• Administrator

This weeks First and Second place winners will be picked at random…Be creative… The question must be answered by Saturday at midnight EST.

Question:

At which mint were the circulating half dollars dated 1966 struck?

Our first place winner will receive a copy of Scott Schechter’s and Jeff Garrett’s “100 GREATEST U.S. MODERN COINS".

There will also be a runner up prize given to a selected player with the correct answer.

REMINDER: The Numisma-Quest ends on Saturday at midnight EST. Entries after that time will not be valid. See the Trivia info post for more details

Well I'm not sure what you mean by creative but I'm gonna say the Denver Mint as per our own D.Lange if I'm reading this right.

Quote: The silver-clad (.400 fine) half dollars were not minted until the last few days of 1965, though the entire mintage is recorded within 1966 to simplify the report. These coins debuted in circulation the following spring. All of the circulating silver-clad halves were minted at Denver, a practice that continued through 1970.

1966 were all from Philly.

Not sure how to be creative about 1966. :makepoint:

Our National Debt was $328.5 billion, a postage stamp was only a nickel, and Medicare started this year. Also it was the year of the first Star Trek episode and I wasn't born yet.

So, if they had a forever stamp in 1966 it would now be worth over 8x it's cost, whereas a circulated 1966 half dollar (40% silver) is worth at least 10x face value just for the melt value. The National Debt on the other hand has increased by 43x.

Average price of gold was $35.13 and silver was $1.29. Where's my time machine again!?

The coins minted in 1966 weren't ever truely circulated as people hoarded them for their silver, however Denver was the mint that struck the half dollars.. The coins dated 1966 weren't struck until august of that year.

• Administrator

Question:

At which mint were the circulating half dollars dated 1966 struck?

Answer: Denver

Our first place winner :whee: Bsshog40 has won a copy of Scott Schechter’s and Jeff Garrett’s “100 GREATEST U.S. MODERN COINS".

Our runner up this week is cpm9ball who has won an NGC Single Coin Display Box :applause:

Thank you for playing and please stop by this Friday for the PMG Numisma-Quest question!