• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What the hot water in my tab does to a morgan dollar

32 posts in this topic

Well as some of you know Iceland is full of hot springs and our hot water in our tabs has sulfur in it.

Got this coin yesterday with a collecton and it was cleaned and dipped and looked messed up. So I wanted to see what our water would do and this is the resault.

5 minutes on both sides in my kitchen sink with hot water running over it.

I was surprized how fast it toned

morgan.jpg

Siggi

Yes perfectly safe to drink :)

Generations have done so over here in Iceland. But people tend to drink the cold water wich has no sulfur :)

This confuses me. The water originates from one source, at least here in America, which it then splits in the house to a hotwater heater which, of course, heats the cold water that originally came into the house. How can the cold water not have sulfur and the hot water does??

The hot water comes from springs that contains sulfur - The cold water does not. The water comes from two seperate springs :)

Ahhh, I understand now.

Yes perfectly safe to drink :)

Generations have done so over here in Iceland. But people tend to drink the cold water wich has no sulfur :)

The cold water probably comes from surface water (ice/snow melt streams into a reservoir) while the hot water comes from subterranean thermal sources so it will be high in dissolved minerals.

how do you get hot water?

most places I know have cold water come into place and heated there, is it different in iceland?

how do you get hot water?

most places I know have cold water come into place and heated there, is it different in iceland?

Iceland has many geothermal springs and volcanos.

There are places in the US that their water heaters are actually used to cool normal tap water because their water sources are so hot.

You can drink the sulfur water safely but if you don't grow up with it it can take some getting used to. I have been in places in eastern Kentucky and even in areas around here in east central Indiana where the water has so much sulfur in it it is tinged yellow and has so much hydrogen sulfide in it it smells like rotten eggs. But it is drinkable and it won't hurt you. Water with lesser amounts of sulfur in it have been drunk for many years in this country as a "tonic" for health reason.

Well as some of you know Iceland is full of hot springs and our hot water in our tabs has sulfur in it.

Got this coin yesterday with a collecton and it was cleaned and dipped and looked messed up. So I wanted to see what our water would do and this is the resault.

5 minutes on both sides in my kitchen sink with hot water running over it.

I was surprized how fast it toned

morgan.jpg

Siggi

I wonder what it would do to a .9993 fine Silver American Eagle? hm:devil:

P.S. I don't have bad intentions. lol

When I was there a few winters ago, I noticed a network of tubes while they were fixing a piece of the sidewalk. The bus driver told me that hot water is so abundant that it runs under all of Reykjavik. He also said, electricity is basically free for all citizens.

If I had known its effect I would have bottled some!

You know it you diluted it down so it didn't act so fast you could probably do that. I wonder how a diluted version would work on cleaned copper? Maybe take the pink or orange edge off and try for a light brownish color.

What I did not mention is that I had the water running fast on the coins for 5 minutes. I´m not sure if you just left in water what it would do but I´m going to check. I'll clean it again and see how it reacts :)

Maybe you could gently tone a bunch of coins in hot sulfur water, then sell them on ebay as the famous “Eyjafjallajokull Collection” from the land of fire and ice.