• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NEWP from an Old Time collection: Crusty Gray Dirt 1817 CBH

12 posts in this topic

One of those coins that I had to have. Feel free to guess grade and Overton. Should be easy enough. This coin came from an 80 yr old man who sold his collection of CBH's to Sheridan Downey recently. All coins were stored in paper for decades, and PCGS bagged half of them for nice toning.

Anywho and without further ado:

1817O-111a001.jpg

1817O-111a.jpg

Awesome half! Sweet clash marks too, as for the Overton I would guess it's an O-111a, and as for grade, I'll conservatively go AU-58. Great coin and thanks for sharing Dave!

Thanks guys. I will disclose the grade tomorrow when I have a chance...

This coin is a solid PCGS 50 O-111a. The marriage is full of clashes, and a few die lines just for good measure.

I really like the coin.

I would grade this AU55. To me there is too much wear on the obverse for an AU58, but I wouldn't be surprised to see this in an AU58 holder. Either way, I like it very much.

P.S. Does the coin have good luster in hand? I'm assuming it's your photograph, but the coin appears to have muted luster.

Hey guys. Thanks for the comments. This is indeed graded AU-50 as Mozin had said. Has the flash of at least a 53. I am pretty sure that this is conservatively graded, but as long as it has that AU grade on the holder, I am fine with it. Its coins like this that tend to make very brief appearances on the market only to disappear again for decades...