• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm thinking of a birthyear set. Any Help?

29 posts in this topic

So I'm thinking that I'd like to get a 1959 Proof Set certified for my birthyear. I'm finding it really hard to find a multiholder so I'm shooting for individual slabs. I want all the coins the same grade. I'm also gonna try for same TPG and have been looking at some NGC slabs on the Bay. Right now it looks as tho' I wont be able ( $ wise) to go any higher than PF67 due to the Frankie gets a bit high priced above that. Seeings how this is merely for my own personal reason, do ya'll think that 67 is a good grade to shoot for or would it really matter what grade the coins were? I'm also looking at a PF66* Franklin that looks better than some 67's I've been looking at. Any opinions or preferences that would help my decision making? thanks!

Bobby, looks are a personal thing. Do you on the whole prefer a higher grade brilliant surface proof or a lower technical grade proof with cameo appeal? Personally it's a no brainer to me, I'd go for the cameo look.

NGC * proofs are a good way to go. Oftentimes you can get significant frost on one of those puppies for not much extra dollars. I'd think that a PR66* set would be a very attractive set.

Thanks Carl. I hear ya Sy, that's why I was looking at the 66* because it had some cameo to it. I like the cameo appearance better.

Bobby, 59 is a great year for proofs. I believe that 67's would be a very nice collector grade. It would be nice to get cameos, but I'm sure you already know the half is going to be the holdup there.

I have a PCGS 59 half that is close to cameo, but not quite there on the reverse. I can't remember what the grade was but it's at least 66. If you decide to go with the cameo look, let me know. I'll see if I can dig it up and get some pictures and let me know what you think.

Best of luck on your endeavor.

Bobby, have you thought about buying an unopened proof set and making it yourself?

I'm just afraid doing it that way would cost me more money in the long run looking for a set that pretty much looks alike. I'd like to try to get same grade or at least only a star away from each other with some cameo. Full cameo would be too expensive for me. Plus if I bought sets to do this, then I'm looking at grading fees and hoping my grading is accurate.

Bobby, the Franky I have is a PR64. It's a nice coin, but too low a grade. But, if you want it, PM me and I'm sure an easy deal can be worked out. It's just sitting here for no special reason and will never be a true cameo, but it might star due to the obverse frost.

_MG_6485_1.jpg_MG_6486_1.jpg

I was just looking up auction realized prices and PF67 Cam seems the way to go.

Cent goes for about $30

Nickel goes for about $35

Dime goes for about $25

Quarter goes for about $20

Half-Dollar goes for about $200

This was for NGC coins. The half is the only spendy one in the pf67 cam bunch.

That is a sweet looking roosie Jaime. Well my searches have found that the prices are close for the lincoln, jeff and roosie, but I'm finding the washie is $65-70 in PF66Cam. Cheap in PF67 but haven't seen a 67Cam. But you're also right on the Frankie as to why I want to limit the grade to 67 at least.

I will be absolutely honest with you and state that I often have a difficult time determining why a particular relatively modern proof is graded PR/PF 66 vs PR/PF 67. Others who have more experience in this arena would likely be able to give a much more nuanced answer, but I would sit back and look at bazillions of these to determine where the best value is in your opinion for grade, look and cost.

Good luck!

I would find the Frankie you like and can afford and then build the set to match it. A set of PR67 coins would be very nice but a set of PR66 stars would look awesome!!

I would go raw, in a 15 coin Capital Plastics holder

so that I could go proof, and business P/D

CAM/DCAM are nice, but so are lovely toned or brilliant

With the exception of the earliest dates, the 1959 Franklin is one of the scarcest dates with cameo. There are far less of them than the surrounding years. I agree with the idea of buying the Franklin first, and then building the set around that - matching the rest of the coins to the Franklin will be much easier than the other way around.

That was kind of what I was planning, going with the Frankie first and then working around that one. With this year, as some have mentioned, if I look at 67's then I'm looking at mostly blast white coins with no cameo. If I drop down to the 66*, then I have a chance for a little cameo and a nice looking coin. I have seen some of the other coins in 67, reasonably priced with a little cameo also. It may take a little time but after I get the Frankie, I'm sure this will set my goal for what condition I want the coins.

I'd go to some shows rather than depend upon eBay if you can.

The thing about Proof and Mint State coins is that there is no substitute for selecting them in person. You can decide if you like the toning or lack there of and the general look.

As for getting everything in the same grade, I would not go crazy with that. The important thing is for you to like the coin.

I also would consider picking up a NICE, plain old 1959 Proof set in the original mint package. They are not that expensive (only $30 on the Gray Sheet), and to think those coins have been in that holder since you were born!

Also, unless you buying cameo Proof coins, the coins in the "plain old set" are often of equal quality to some of the non-comeo coins in a slab. Given proper storeage the mint packages did a great job of pretecting many of the coins.

Thanks Bill. I collect proof sets so I have a 59' set, but I'm really wanting a graded set for this certain birth set. I plan on making some sort of display plaque for them with a childhood picture of me and so forth. This is really just a project that came to mind and I'll probably change my mind on things during the process but graded and eye appeal is what I'm gonna try for considering my budget also. Coins shows are usually about 3 hrs from me and work keeps me tied close to home most of time.

Nice looking 57' mint set. Another reason for me going with Proofs is so I don't have to double up on the slabs also.

I'm a 1957 Model. :) When I first got into collecting I started a 57 Mint and Proof Set. I was in competition with a friend of mine. We both had a great time with it. I retired both set's in the top five and sold the coins. My friend is pretty much out of coins all together now.

My thoughts are to just have fun with it. Be patient and search for the right coin at the right price for you. Doesn't have to be the highest graded, you can always upgrade in the future if you want to.

There are a ton of folks here, and ATS, who do search thru Proof set's. If you do a Money Market "Wanted to Buy," this may help you alot.

Enjoy! (thumbs u

Franklins in each set:

AN66935294-oz.jpg

66 FBL

Img23687.jpg

67 DCAM

Sweet frankies there Lee. Again thanks for the advice my friend. I'm not gonna rush on this. I pretty much am almost set in what I'm aiming at. I have a bid on my first coin and if I'm able to get it, this will start the suit of coins to follow.

Well the Frankie is history for me so I presume it will take a considerable amount of time to get this set started. I know what I'm aiming at now and don' really want to lower the standards so may just have to wait on it to get what I want.