• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My new Barber dollar

25 posts in this topic

I picked this pattern dollar up in Chicago last week. Designed by William Barber it's the finest of 5 currently known :)

J-997blk.jpg

Hey Boiler-

Wonderful piece! Are pattern's struck using biz-type strikes, proof-type strikes or a different process altogether?

I saw the thread title, and thought someone had made a mistake. And then I saw it was a Boiler post, and quickly opened it up.

I was not disappointed.

Dcoin

Patterns were usually struck as proofs but there are some instances where they were struck as regular business strikes........ like this two cent piece J-409a struck in nickel for example.

409-a.jpg

Very nice pick-up. Thanks for sharing. I don't think I've ever seen the old gal looking better. You've obviously got great taste in women. :)

If you think Boiler has impressive coins, you should see his paper currency. That technicolor twenty is still a favorite. And that Morgan back. It belongs here on the coin side!!! Great coins Boiler..

Chet

That is an amazing pickup, Boiler. Wow. I would love to see some more of your coins.

Thanks for sharing.

Jim

Always a nice surprise to get a Boiler post, and this one's exceptional!

She looks so good, she could arrested for indecent exposure!

Thanks for sharing,

OP

BOILER--I always REALLY enjoy looking at all your unique rarities; pattern or otherwise.

This one is especially nice, since I love seated and/or full length figure coinage (non-bust/head). Not that I don't like bust coinage . I just prefer the full length figure (WLH, SLQ, SLH etc.).

This example is SOOOO nice and in such high grade condition! WOW!

Thanks for posting!!

I picked this pattern dollar up in Chicago last week. Designed by William Barber it's the finest of 5 currently known :)

J-997blk.jpg

:banana:^^:takeit:

How exciting it had to have been to be the Chief Engraver at the mint from 1850-1890-ish. The coining resources of the entire country at your fingertips, and the ability to see anything that came to your mind be actually coined in real metal, any metal you like, or any material you can conceive, all on the US Mint equipment, near the best, if not the best, coining equipment in the world.

:cloud9: