• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1901 Morgan

16 posts in this topic

I'd say AU-55.

The 1901 silver dollars were notoriously poorly made and generally unattractive. The price for anything in Mint State goes into orbit very quickly. This one has the usual so-so mint luster combined with a rub and a probable dipping.

Years ago I say a truly wonderful example that was in an AU-58 holder. It had luster and eye appeal. The seller wanted a high price for it, and as a dealer I could not justify paying the price. But if I had a been a dedicated Morgan dollar collector, buying that would have made sense if I didn't want to or had the money for a coin with a 5 figure price tag.

Thanks BSS. What would make the pics better/easier to "grade" from a photo?

Mark

They just look a little too bright which makes it harder to tell if there's luster on the coin or it's just shining bac.

It looks "AU - Details" to me, too.

Chris

I would have to agree. Is this what is referred to as "haymarked".

I've never heard that term. Of course, my memory isn't all that great.

Chris (shrug)

Altered surfaces is my wager. That grainy look on both the obverse and reverse is suspect.

Yes, it's been dipped and is an AU by wear, but what you view as "alteed surfaces" with the grainy look is what makes the 1901 Morgan dollars so wierd. The coins had an odd finish that makes this issue different from any other Philadelphia mint Morgan dollar.

I have never noticed the grainy surfaces before on the 1901, I'm going to have to look at a few next chance I get and check that out. My first impression was that it was from a cast mold and fake...but I think the best grade I would assign is low AU50.

what does the edge look like?

does it pass the ring test for struck silver?

If authentic, I am going to go with XF details, improper cleaning