• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What coin or note you can afford would you like in any condition "just to have"?

16 posts in this topic

Certainly there are coins so rare that they would be valuable or hard to find in any condition, but is there a certain coin or note you can find without difficulty you would like to own in any condition just to have one?

I don't collect notes, but I'm considering getting an 1869 $1 note as part of my collection of Reconstruction money. I already have fractional coins, a silver dollar, a trade dollar, and fractional notes, so I thought it would be cool to have a dollar bill. While I know it is better to own one in a decent grade I could resell easily later, I'd be happy to have a creased and soiled one just to look at.

Are there any coins or notes you'd be happy to own in any condition that you can afford to buy and can find?

Pretty much any coin I'd be happy to own in any condition which I can both afford and find I already DO own. Among these are early copper types (both half cent and cent) and all flowing hair silver.

Some of the coins I would love to own in any grade but which don't fit one or the other conditions are

1796 (or 97 half dollar): Fairly easy to find at any major show/auction--unaffordable.

1796 quarter: Not quite as easy to find as the half (but readily available still)--unaffordable

1827 Overton 136 half dollar: Can be found with work--unaffordable

1827 Overton 148 (and 149) Basically unavailable AND unaffordable when one does appear.

One of these days I'm gonna save a little and get me a Trade Dollar! I've always wanted one of these and seeings how my first one that I got such a great deal on turned out to be counterfeit. Imaging that!!

For me it would be an 1802/0 reverse of 1800 half cent .Not to many of these suckers around but would look pretty good in the registry.

Next would be a 1817/4 capped bust half . They are way expensive but always live in hope to stumble across one on ebay thht someone doesn't know they have .

Martin

1970 Proof Sets.

There is just something about the appearance that I like, and something about the quality and similarity of the strike of all pieces I like. I buy them whenever I see them.

John Curlis

Certainly there are coins so rare that they would be valuable or hard to find in any condition, but is there a certain coin or note you can find without difficulty you would like to own in any condition just to have one?

No, I'm too much of a condition snob. If it's not in a condition that I find appealing, I don't want to own it. That's the reason why I have never purchased many coins I'd love to own - 1793 Chain cent, 1792 Disme, etc. I wouldn't be happy with these in (affordable) low grade and I can't bring myself to purchase a high grade example, so I'd rather do without.

An 1862-P gold Eagle, AU55 would be great! I have a kind of hodge-podge Civil War set of various mint state coins that I have been asembling for a few years, when I can find or afford them. I have gotten to the point of needing the half, dollar and eagle. However, they are firstly, hard to find and also fairly expensive because they are from that era. This is a set that I may never complete.

I have a 1863 half and a 1871 dollar but no eagle or double eagle from that period. Maybe someday.

i need to change the answer as based on the original question i cant afford but okie i will leave it and change the question

What coin or note you can't afford would you like in the worse damaged/holed/bent/ basil/poor-1 condition "just to have"?

1652 large or small planchet pine tree shilling :cloud9:

1793 chain :grin:

1793 wreath :blush:

********************1794 halfdime************************* :banana:

1793 sheldon-15 liberty cap cent :o

1776 continental dollar :luhv:

choice au three dollar gold <3

1793 halfcent ^^

1970 Proof Sets.

There is just something about the appearance that I like, and something about the quality and similarity of the strike of all pieces I like. I buy them whenever I see them.

John Curlis

I'm the same way with 1936 silver dollars. George V's portrait on such a big silver coin looks great, as do the voyageurs on the reverse. As long as the coins aren't cleaned or otherwise worked on, I'll but them in any condition.

I bought a sea-salvaged Wilson medal because of it's history. Many collectors would not think it worth owning.

1733 Maryland Colonial Note, First issue

1776 Spanish Milled Dollar (8 Reales)

1793 Chain Cent

Series 1901 $10 Legal Tender Bison Note

1948 Israeli Provisional Currency (all notes) issued by the Anglo-Palestine Bank

What coin or note you can afford would you like in any condition "just to have"?

Pretty easy: any coin that fills a slot in one of my albums.

I can always upgrade later.

Would love a generic date St Gaudens Double Eagle or a Seated Liberty Dollar in MS. Also a 1928 or 1934-S Peace Dollar in MS and a 1894-S Barber Half. That coin (Barber) was one of the first coins ever given to me by my Dad in VG condition. Always thought it would be cool to have an MS one today.

How about a 1879 CC GSA Morgan. I remember when the were 'affordable' at 2000 dollars!! There were plenty of ungraded examples available then for cherrypickin'..........not anymore!!!! doh!

No, the coins I want to own the most are essentially impossible to find.

The coins at the top of my list are the 1931 South Africa Union silver and 1732 Mexico pillar minors. I have seen a few of these (at most twice each) but all were either impaired or in horrible condition.