• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just take a look at what I found!!! And yes, it's very rare!!

26 posts in this topic

110.jpg

105-1.jpg

107.jpg

According to my Cherrypickers edition this is a FS-50-1945-901 A very rare coin URS-5, 9-16 know to exist, kind rare ,eh? I have the Cherrypickers fourth edition Volume II and this is the coin they are referring to. I bought this piece off ebay, raw, and the seller sold me this coin for $60.00, but I could see the designers initials were missing so I pounced! So take a look and tell me if you see what I see. Thanks

Let me go on to say I submitted this coin wrong, I meant for it to get the variety designation but I filled out the PCGS forms wrong so they just graded it, MS-64 I'll send it in again....Joe....But this time to NGC....

Now there's something to sell at the next coin show! Should buy you a nice Blue Buff! One never knows. Great find Joe. Congrats.

Jim

BTW---What's up with IGWT? You may have found a new variety or at least in addition to the missing initials.

IGWTcloseup.jpg

Cool cherry Joe!! I can see the W, but it's very faint.

Hey Bob, Yes it's just like the image in the CPG and I'm sure it's the one....Joe

BTW---What's up with IGWT? You may have found a new variety or at least in addition to the missing initials.

I also saw that weird IGWT doubling, Jim, and I don't know what to make of it....

Hey Buffalo Head, you have a ton of goings on the Reverse also near 9pm in the words, is that what you Mean. Cool Find.. Also, email Fred@Fredweinberg.com and ask him for a look see. He is the best in my opinion.. George

105-1.jpg

What's the coin currently graded?

I never ever talk grades here, but this one is different, PCGS has decided it's a 64 and broke my heart as this coin looks 65 all day...

If you can still see remnants of the initials then its not an FS-901.

I think your coin is close but no banana.

C1945.jpg

If you look at your Cherrypickers guide you'll see some of the initials very weak just like this one is. I'll submit this one and then we'll see. What makes you think is isn't? Compare to others and tell me what ya see. I can tilt this coin and you won't see the initials at all, then what?

C1945.jpg

If you look at your Cherrypickers guide you'll see some of the initials very weak just like this one is. I'll submit this one and then we'll see. What make you think is isn't? Compare to others and tell me what ya see. I can tilt this coin and you won't see the initials at all, then what?

My experience with PCGS is that if any of the initials are visible, regardless of angle, then it does not qualify.

Be sure to post your results.

C1945.jpg

If you look at your Cherrypickers guide you'll see some of the initials very weak just like this one is. I'll submit this one and then we'll see. What make you think is isn't? Compare to others and tell me what ya see. I can tilt this coin and you won't see the initials at all, then what?

My experience with PCGS is that if any of the initials are visible, regardless of angle, then it does not qualify.

I will post the results. But just take a look at the image in your cherrypickers Guide and tell me what you see. I'll tell ya, you'll see an image with a fant "W" that looks just like what I'm show ya. Now I can't speak for pcgs, and I am a member of the coin facts there, and they show no image at this point. The population for this coin by pcgs is one coin graded as such, so I don't know where you get your facts?...Joe

Pardon my ignorance, but could this be a clogged die, and how would one distinguish if it were?

It very well could be, I sure can't say for sure what it is at this point as I am no pro. I just noticed this before I bought this coin, so I bought it, and it "looks" like it's the one. I have never, ever seen one slabbed as this variety. But it is a dead ringer for the one imaged in the "Cherrypickers Guide." Most all agree it looks like it's the one. I just thought it was interesting , just thought I would show it. I am just as ignorant as anyone else who has never seen one before....Joe

C1945.jpg

I will post the results. But just take a look at the image in your cherrypickers Guide and tell me what you see. I'll tell ya, you'll see an image with a fant "W" that looks just like what I'm show ya. Now I can't speak for pcgs, and I am a member of the coin facts there, and they show no image at this point. The population for this coin by pcgs is one coin graded as such, so I don't know where you get your facts?...Joe

Missing Initials are not because they were never on the die, missing initials are from the die being over abraded enough to literally erase the initials.

If the initials appear to be due to a filling on the die then their not the missing designers initials which is usually indicated by the faint presents of initials.

My opinions are based upon submitting several 1972-D Kennedy Hal Dollars for the Missing Initials attribtuion. I was told that if any part of the initials were visible that it was a grease filled die and not the No Initials Die which has several specific die markers.

I've looked at the CPG and it does appear that some part of the initials show up but this could also be due to the actual photograph.

I looked for some reference threads ATS and there is mention that most of these coins do have some part of the initials still showing which is a plus for you but still PCGS didn;t attribute it.

Be sure to post your NGC results as I'll be interested in what they say.

C1945.jpg

Missing Initials are not because they were never on the die, missing initials are from the die being over abraded enough to literally erase the initials.

If the initials appear to be due to a filling on the die then their not the missing designers initials which is usually indicated by the faint presents of initials.

My opinions are based upon submitting several 1972-D Kennedy Hal Dollars for the Missing Initials attribtuion. I was told that if any part of the initials were visible that it was a grease filled die and not the No Initials Die which has several specific die markers.

I've looked at the CPG and it does appear that some part of the initials show up but this could also be due to the actual photograph.

I looked for some reference threads ATS and there is mention that most of these coins do have some part of the initials still showing which is a plus for you but still PCGS didn;t attribute it.

Be sure to post your NGC results as I'll be interested in what they say.

As always Lee you are very good for this hobby, as you have been educating me and others on these type errors... I miss a few of you guys ATS, but it seems more and more of you good guys are posting here and that is a plus for every one in this hobby.

Do you have any cool Ike errors Lee? Please share..God Bless ya Lee..

George Graham

I looked for some reference threads ATS and there is mention that most of these coins do have some part of the initials still showing which is a plus for you but still PCGS didn't attribute it.

PCGS has some kind of problem attributing varieties for some reason and they do not show an image of the 1 coin they have graded with this variety. So again I would like to know why you think this coin is not the one when it does look just like the "only" image I can find of this variety and the initials are faintly there just like the one I'm showing. PCGS does not have the last word on this subject, that's one thing that is for sure. I'm with NGC now which I feel is better qualified to make this decision.

Like I said, I'm going with the image and the information I can find in the CPG, PCGS has no information I can locate and I would like to know where you found all of the facts your going by, rather than comparing a 72-D Kennedy variety to this one? Come on, that like comparing apples to oranges, no?......Joe

If I remember correctly the initials on the WL half are actually incuse so they would be raised on the die. The Only way they can be missing is if they are abraded off the die. They can't result from a filled die because there is nothing to "fill"

That is good to know Conder. It removes one of the reasons for the loss of initials. It might be possible then that this could be an LDS that has just nearly worn off the die, maybe?

Just a thought.

Jim

I just confirmed with Mike Faraone at PCGS that remnants of the initials on the 1945 WL would not preclude it from receiving the Attribution.

My bad for expressing an opinion without asking first.

Nice reply 19 Lyds. I thought it odd that the photo in CPG would show a slight indication of the initials if not allowable for the variety, but then mistakes happen.

Jim

If I remember correctly the initials on the WL half are actually incuse so they would be raised on the die. The Only way they can be missing is if they are abraded off the die. They can't result from a filled die because there is nothing to "fill"

Thank you for that "fact" I like facts. The initials are incused so we can eliminate the possibility it could be a filled die and set that aside.

I hope I don't sound closed minded but at the same time I don't want to sound foolish with I think may be true about this subject. I only posted this coin, not to sensationalize what I have, but to educate myself and maybe others here that may be interested in this variety of this date, and that's it, nothing else. I really don't like to confuse the facts if I, or anyone will understand this clearly. If this coin is not what I think it is, then I will be the first to say I made a mistake, but maybe we all can learn more, and understand better if we don't confuse the facts.....Joe

I just confirmed with Mike Faraone at PCGS that remnants of the initials on the 1945 WL would not preclude it from receiving the Attribution.

My bad for expressing an opinion without asking first.

Thank you 19 yards, I very much appreciate this reply.