• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MPL to NCS results

24 posts in this topic

I've had this 1911 for a couple of years. It's not one that I would have purchased due to haze and debris or foreign matter in some of the obverse letters, but I gladly accepted it as a throw-in during a multi coin trade with another member.

It was in a PCGS PR65BN holder. Because of the problem mentioned earlier I sent it to PCGS for spot review. Thinking that they would crack the coin out to review the coin, I attached a small white label to the obverse slab. According to their instructions a label was needed to identify the coin and invoice number. At any rate the sticker could easily have been removed.

This is the way I received the coin.

1911MPLspotrev_0001-1.jpg

Here is the obverse and some close ups of my concerns.

1911MPLduaneObv_004.jpg

0ec6e0a7.jpg

0f78f964.jpg

b8f9a9a3.jpg

After having it back a couple of months I decided just to send it back to PCGS as a regrade hoping maybe they would clean it up. Especially since this time I know it would be cracked out. It came back same grade and with the same appearance.

It was then I decided to send it off to NCS for conservation and to NGC for grading. The reverse was never a problem, but they not only did some miracle work with the obverse, they made the reverse absolutely stunning. My photos don't do the coin justice, but here is a side by side comparison.

Not only did they improve the appearance dramatically, but also improved the grade to a 66BN.

2bc80362.jpgaa800ec0-1.jpg

52b119a1.jpg1911mplBeforeRev.jpg

Very nice Bob. Sounded like PCGS could have cared less what your coin looked like. I would presume the only thing that was going thru their mind was having to pay you some money because the coin wasn't up to PR65 standards in their slab. Sounds like to me the run-around was given. I think they like to pay more attention to new coin slabbing for more money than to worry about paying out. Looks like NCS did a fantastic job and is why if I ever send coins in for grading, it will be done with the services of NGC.

Bob, your determination paid off! I love a happy ending.

I remember your original thread about how PCGS returned it. Hall's handwritten note had me roaring in laughter.

Lance.

Nice! (thumbs u

Very sad how PCGS gave you the run around. All my coins go to NGC for grading.

Bob, NCS did a great job, hence the saying 'don't try this at home!' Are the before and after images of the reverse accurate? If so, did the remove some brown patina and did it really change color like that?

Just curious, HT

Bob, NCS did a great job, hence the saying 'don't try this at home!' Are the before and after images of the reverse accurate? If so, did the remove some brown patina and did it really change color like that?

Just curious, HT

The color has changed from an orange-red to a sort of wine color. The patina appears very strong and luster is extremely evident. When I received the coin I had wondered why it was designated BN instead of RB because of the reverse. If the obverse would have looked like the reverse, it would have undoubtedly been RB and quite possibly RD. I could have done a better job with the original reverse images to show this, but too late now.

eh. Just another ms70 job. I wouldn't crack it out.

I don't really know what NCS uses to conserve coins. If you say so I'll take your word. I have no plans cracking it out. I am very happy with the conservation NCS did. The difference between the two states of condition is dramatic, but not so much it looks phony.

To tell you the truth I liked the coin better as it appeared in the PCGS holder, though that comment by DH was killer.

after the underwhelming )non( service experience you had at pcgs with his royale hinee ness............... i cant really blame you for sending to ngc

i am not thrilled but i am not disappointed with what happened at ngc

and i like the coin way better in the ngc 66 holder (thumbs u

so i would say you did really well :cloud9:

It's only my opinion, but I think it looks significantly nicer in the "after" image, and -- dare I say it -- more original! Yes, just because a coin is infected with unintended corrosion spots doesn't make it "more original" than after the corrosion has been properly conserved.

So, I will ask again. does MS 70 work on those waterspots on 2009/10 lincoln cents.

The reason I ask, is I have a few wonderful coins that are flawless but have a few nasty waterspot circles. thanks Pm if you rather.

Yaha, I've not tried it on 2009/2010 cents but I have tried proofs (early 80s) without any significant change in waterspots after applying MS70. Hope this helps...Mike

So, I will ask again. does MS 70 work on those waterspots on 2009/10 lincoln cents.

The reason I ask, is I have a few wonderful coins that are flawless but have a few nasty waterspot circles. thanks Pm if you rather.

MikeinFl answered, but if I can find some with such spots, I will give it a shot and see what happens. Question, does anyone know what exactly causes these spots? It is something in the washing process at the mint after striking if I recall correctly (?). Are they using some kind of chemical that if not completely removed, causes these milky spots? MS70 is a strong oxidant, it could be taking a reducing agent - i.e. acid, such as EZ Zest that is mildly acidic and at least used to contain thiourea, may do the job? But what else will it do to copper?

I'd really like know how they got the spots off.

I don't know how they did it, but they sure did a better job getting the spots off than DH did getting that sticker off. :)

I don't know how they did it, but they sure did a better job getting the spots off than DH did getting that sticker off. :)

:roflmao: (thumbs u

Now you've done it, Bob. Bam! Guess I'll just have to look for you here.

Lance.

Now you've done it, Bob. Bam! Guess I'll just have to look for you here.

Lance.

I'd better rush over and see if I can still post.