• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1818 CBH 8/7?

22 posts in this topic

Nice coin, looks to me like an O-102, which is the small first 8, the O-101 and O-103 have the large first 8. Looks to be a nice VF coin, congrats!

I like this coin :)

I saw it on ebay last week and was trying to bid but the seller didn't ship out of the states so missed having a go at it . If this is the one then he must of missed the overdate because it wasn't listed in the description . Nice find (thumbs u

Martin

The new images make the coin look cleaned in my opinion. It appears too bright in places, and even at that level of wear, I would expect to see some sort of luster if it were hidden in relatively protected areas.

Given the cleaning, I only think that the coin is worth F12-F15 money.

Edited to add: Are those contact marks in front of Miss Liberty's nose?

The new images make the coin look cleaned in my opinion. It appears too bright in places, and even at that level of wear, I would expect to see some sort of luster if it were hidden in relatively protected areas.

Given the cleaning, I only think that the coin is worth F12-F15 money.

Edited to add: Are those contact marks in front of Miss Liberty's nose?

Yes, they appear to be contact marks of some sort.

I also think the coin is original. I would grade it no less than VF20 no better than VF25. Coinman – it is very difficult to find mint luster remaining on a VF coin , a coin at this grade should not have any. The light areas on the high points of the coin are normal as are the ones in the fields.

Here is a nice original VF 30 CAC certified Bust Dollar.

Notice the dark color with lighter highlights.

110435.jpg.b835de5829e8e259c13da84b82cd88b5.jpg

Thanks again for all of the great feedback...

I suppose the big question now is whether she would grade?

Would the hits in the field on the obverse and the scratch on the reverse shield body-bag her? And what about the rim nick? It looks like CAC looked past rim nicks in the provided example. Thoughts/opinions?

Thanks again for all of the great feedback...

I suppose the big question now is whether she would grade?

Would the hits in the field on the obverse and the scratch on the reverse shield body-bag her? And what about the rim nick? It looks like CAC looked past rim nicks in the provided example. Thoughts/opinions?

The rim nicks on my Bust Dollar are very minor, It is not uncommon to have some minor rim dings on a VF coin . I would keep your coin raw , it will cost you about $60 to have it graded , the value of the coin is about $200 assuming that the coin has no problems not visible from the photo. Bring it to a dealer for an assessment but do not waste the money to grade it.

Here is a picture on my 1818/7 .

110438.jpg.1273e593235c07abb29474821a03cda7.jpg