• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

whattayathink.. $4150 scam?

34 posts in this topic

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=150573303050&si=941SRC2kGF55JAL%252BFKvAcf6yPmw%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

it was such a nice price i had to throw a bid in.. and i won the thing. yay? i figure ebay/paypal protects us so there isn't that much risk, but the seller sent me an email saying he wants me to *wire transfer* the money. hm

not sure what to think here... what do you guys think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=150573303050&si=941SRC2kGF55JAL%252BFKvAcf6yPmw%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

it was such a nice price i had to throw a bid in.. and i won the thing. yay? i figure ebay/paypal protects us so there isn't that much risk, but the seller sent me an email saying he wants me to *wire transfer* the money. hm

Bad idea... report them to eBay immediately.

Here are some tips. Read this part specifically.

False claims

The seller lies about a variety of things, including:

Asking for payment via wire transfer because they lost their job and need the cash immediately.

Here is some information about the PCGS cert number

0c4a0ca2.jpg

Coin sold last year on eBay for $5700.

Here are some Heritage images from the 2004 sale when it sold for around $5000.

546950d9.jpgd8db809d.jpg

a9bf1c0b.jpg61ce3289.jpg

I would never wire transfer anyone on ebay. Paypal & Ebay will protect payments going to sellers. You wire transfer to someone and pow, they dissappear. Also, no feedback in 2 yrs and want a wire transfer??? RED FLAG!!!!!

The slab looks legit. If the photos were stolen off Heritage, the seller made them look worse. I wouldn't wire that kind of money for something as shady looking as this deal. Here's the seller's photo alongside the Heritage photo. Seller on left, Heritage on right. No difference in font or spacing that I notice.

page09svdb.jpg

This could very well be a hijacked account.

i didn't even think of that :P

siiigh.. well ever since i told him it was paypal or nothing i haven't a word, so.. who knows. i'm not doing anything until i know i'm safe and it's real. he also sold a chain cent last week, i wonder how that's going..

big big thanks to everyone for your time (worship)

I don't think Heritage leaves a reflection of a ceiling fan in their gallery. If anything, the seller probably has the coin, but got it nefariously, then hi-jacked an account, and is utilizing e-Bay as the fence.

As far as a "wire transfer" yikes!

Also, they may have just been shown the coin and took images of it to utilize later...there could be 1,000 different scenarios, but the wire transfer seals the deal that something shady is a foot.

I wouldn't wire the money either. I would require him to accept Paypal or refuse to complete the transaction. Also, with regards to the coin, it looks red brown to me, not full red. I still think you paid a fair price though; just my opinion.

i just realized that the bank he wanted me to transfer to is in Texas, and the auction states that it's located in Missouri. yet another flag.

i 'reported' it to ebay, i'll see what they say. something tells me this deal ain't happening.

"if it seems to good to be true it probably is"

i just realized that the bank he wanted me to transfer to is in Texas, and the auction states that it's located in Missouri. yet another flag.

That really doesn't mean anything. I bank with USAA and they only have a few locations

down in Texas but I live in Virginia and I have never even been to Texas!!

i 'reported' it to ebay, i'll see what they say. something tells me this deal ain't happening.

Just pay with paypal already! I wouldnt let a smoking deal like that get away. I Imagine he is just trying to avoid paypal fees if you pay with paypal its done deal. He has to ship and as you stated before you are protected!

I would never have bid on this coin. If the actual value is over $5000, what good reason is there for someone to sell it at $4150? It's not like this coin is hard to sell, I would rather pay 20% or 25% more by paying approximately current market value to buy one from an established seller.

As for the RB versus RD, sometimes capturing the color in an image is difficult and because there are different shades of red, this may cause a coin to look RB even if it is not. I recently listed another coin on ebay which was RB but almost entirely red. I just could not get an image to show it.

Just pay with paypal already! I wouldnt let a smoking deal like that get away. I Imagine he is just trying to avoid paypal fees if you pay with paypal its done deal. He has to ship and as you stated before you are protected!

If you buy using Paypal, you may want to open the package in front of a postal employee in case the package is empty or he sent you a rock. Too many red flags not to take a few simple precautions.

My gut tells me that this is not a scam; 4150 is still alot of money and good deals still do occur on Ebay (believe it or not). I would just pay with PayPal for security purposes and the extra reccommended precautions are sound advice (such as opening in front of a witness/postal employee)--better safe than sorry--The coin looks red enough to me and, yes, pictures are very deceiving. These cents have recently been selling from 4600-5400. So on ebay this, is not an unusually low price. I have seen some in the Heritage archives that are designated RD but look much browner than that one. I would go through with it (via Paypal only).

You received some good advise, always pay thru Paypal/Ebay and you'll have the protection. I bought a 16D Mercury fake for $1,700 once and the seller didn't refund the money so I got the refund from Paypal. With Paypal and Ebay you can afford to take a risk since you have the protection but otherwise....

hello

be smart and go thru pay pal.

they saved my butt on a 1916D mercury dime that was tampered with,it had an altered mint mark,

i sent it in to NGC for grade they sent it back as being altered,you could not tell by eye.

pay pal recovered my money.

it pays to be wise-------------just saying

He's asking for wire transfer. There's no coin. You will never receive a coin. He will not respond to requests to pay by any means that offers you protection against a scam. Report to eBay and move on.

BUT, if he were to send you something, I'd do what it took to make sure it's real while you still have control over the PP funds.

Link we are all waiting for updates - please let us know the latest on this.

Best, HT

Judging by the feedback left for this 'seller' here, I'd say it went about as well as most would have thought.

Though, the seller's FIRST neg seems to be from a shady BUYER, we can more than assume how the OP's deal went down....it DIDN'T. Great advice from the members that chimed in....had I seen this post, I would have gone with the consensus and Paypal'ed it, not ANY other way. Though, I'd love to hear from the OP as to the details. I'd imagine the OP never sent a cent, as the OP probably never heard back from the seller after the 'wire transfer' request.

It seems a bit harsh to neg the poor guy whos account was hijacked. But if you want to warn others I guess that would work. Of course the better way is to convince eBay that the account was hijacked and get them to return it to the owner.

I had my account hijacked a few years back. I actually have two accounts and had been mostly using the other one. I hadn't logged into the account for a few weeks and then I got an email from eBay telling me that my account had been hijacked along with instructions on how to reset my password to get it back. They had caught it somehow and ended all the bogus auctions and changed the password to keep the thief from getting back on, all before I even knew what happened. I don't think any of the bogus auctions even ended so I didn't get any negs from it at least.

i never heard back from the guy once i told him i would only use paypal. i reported it to ebay but they never got back to me hm

'beckyntrevor' don't deserve the neg, but once i saw the other buyer left one i figured i'd warn others too.

so yeah it's over with.. i've moved on :) thanks for being here folks Tip-Hat.gif