• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1926 Buffalo Nickel, the nicest one on the planet! HOLY MOLY!!!

17 posts in this topic

OH!!!! I found a beauty!!!! I can't find the words for this extremely beautiful Buff I found. I swear this coin looks as it JUST came off the die! It's so well struck it looks like a trial strike and the dies were to close together to bring out this kind of BOLD details, and the luster is just screaming on this superb specimen!! I have had some incredible luck recently finding these kinds of coins for my collection. This coin is still ungraded, but not for long. I expect a whooping grade on this one, minimum 66 with a real good shot a 67.

I found this diamond in the rust, it can still be done....Joe

The last two images are of another 1926 MS-66 Buff

125.jpg

128-1.jpg

074.jpg

078.jpg

]http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr149/crazyhounddog/BUFFALOCOLOS010.jpg[/img]

BUFFALOCOLOS011.jpg

BUFFALOCOLOS010.jpg

Its not my specialty, but it looks to me like there is rub on the cheek and higher points on the reverse, especially the shoulder and legs. It may just be the light or toning too. It is still very pretty. Nice pickup!

Its not my specialty, but it looks to me like there is rub on the cheek and higher points on the reverse, especially the shoulder and legs. It may just be the light or toning too. It is still very pretty. Nice pickup!

Guaranteed NO rub.....

Guaranteed NO rub.....

Isn't there a nick above the eye.

I still like the coin (thumbs u

Nice coins. I actually like the 2nd one better.

The one on top probably won't go 67 due to lack of strike...see pony tail and Buffs front leg.

The other coin (the one I liked) I would grade no higher than 65 due to the marks or rather planchet marks that weren't struck out. See pony tail again.

jom

Guaranteed NO rub.....

Isn't there a nick above the eye.

I still like the coin (thumbs u

Yep, there happens to be a minor hit on the eye brow. Now the bottom coin IS a MS-66, but notice all the striations above the knot on the Indian, this is from a weaker strike as the detail did not fill out and these marks were more than likely there "before" the coin was struck, at least this area of the coin. I'm not king kong on grading coins, but I do know my way around these Buffalo Nickels. It seems that the luster on coins and especially old nickels will carry the grade a bit more than any other factor. And then of course the strike and over all condition "the whole package"....I was a bit heavy with the "nicest on the planet" deal, but this coin , compared to many other 1926 Buffs I have handled, this coin "in my book" is over the top. I'll keep you posted as what the grade turns out to be, but I'm expecting 66 at the very least. Come on folks, 1 bag mark, lets not focus on that little tiny tinnie winnie mark, as the image is the size of a dinner plate :eek:.....Joe

Yep, there happens to be a minor hit on the eye brow. Now the bottom coin IS a MS-66, but notice all the striations above the knot on the Indian, this is from a weaker strike as the detail did not fill out and these marks were more than likely there "before" the coin was struck, at least this area of the coin. I'm not king kong on grading coins, but I do know my way around these Buffalo Nickels. It seems that the luster on coins and especially old nickels will carry the grade a bit more than any other factor. And then of course the strike and over all condition "the whole package"....I was a bit heavy with the "nicest on the planet" deal, but this coin , compared to many other 1926 Buffs I have handled, this coin "in my book" is over the top. I'll keep you posted as what the grade turns out to be, but I'm expecting 66 at the very least. Come on folks, 1 bag mark, lets not focus on that little tiny tinnie winnie mark, as the image is the size of a dinner plate :eek:.....Joe

Yes, the hits are from not being struck out on the planchet but like I said I think that one is should be a 65...and I believe it will keep the top one from a 67. Then again both could have outrageous luster than isn't shown by the photo that could (and did) bump it up a point. (shrug)

As to the comments about it being AU...there is no way in hell that is AU. The first signs of rub are always on the high part of the hip of the Buffalo...this coin ain't got no rub.

jom

I'll go with a solid 66. The chatter on the cheek and on the foreleg and the nick on the eye brow likely keep it from going higher.

As far as strike, it is absolutely hammered. The details on the hind leg and tail are reminiscent of a proof strike.

Where did you find it?

Certainly I agree you have an exceptionally attractive coin, congratulations! Seeing it reminds me of a long-standing question I have. Why are there so few high grade buffalo nickels, no 69s at all, and extremely few 68s, out of well over a hundred thousand graded by NGC? (In checking the NGC Census, I note that among the proofs, there is one solitary 69).

It will either go AU or MS-66.

Which one? If you're referring to the first one, I'd agree although I think it might be MS65+ (if the coin is MS and if that isn't rub). If the luster were stronger, I'd agree with MS66.

The second one has too many ticks in my opinion to grade higher than MS65. Neither coin looks like the MS66 and MS67 coins that I have in PCGS/NGC holders.