• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1884-CC DPL Morgan Dollar....Problem

23 posts in this topic

I bought this Morgan Dollar a while back with every intention of selling it, or trading it for a Buffalo Nickel. The problem is that when I image this piece I realize how beautiful this coin is, and can't seem to part with it....But I will some how...

019-1.jpg

016-3.jpg

You could donate it to my collection ;)

Well, this is a doubled date and some kind of VAM this guy was telling me, and what looks like a hit by miss liberty's eye is a die gouge. I guess it would add something to the value. This coin is in a old fatty slab...

Well, this is a doubled date and some kind of VAM this guy was telling me, and what looks like a hit by miss liberty's eye is a die gouge. I guess it would add something to the value. This coin is in a old fatty slab...

It looks like it might be a VAM-7. The VAM-7A has this die gouge, too, but it also has a prominent die crack across the top of "ATES" of STATES that angles to the rim above the "A".

Chris

I hate to be the 1 to give you the bad news.. Looking at the CC mint mark and the word liberty, this is the kind of chinese fakes your coin resembles of types of Morgans..So, you have a fake Morgan Dollar..

Good News though, this China fake is .090% silver content.. I will offer double silver price and pay for shipping if you want to part with your fake coin.. :)

Just think, it's not even April yet.. :)

Nice coin my friend... I likey very much.

I hate to be the 1 to give you the bad news.. Looking at the CC mint mark and the word liberty, this is the kind of chinese fakes your coin resembles of types of Morgans..So, you have a fake Morgan Dollar..

Good News though, this China fake is .090% silver content.. I will offer double silver price and pay for shipping if you want to part with your fake coin.. :)

I will offer trouble silver melt for that fake silver coin...would make a colorful coaster :devil:

Yeah, that die gouge ruins it for me, too. I would think that this terrible example of a furniture leveling disc would make a good giveaway for your 105th post. I doubt anyone would complain as it wouldn't be polite to complain about a gift. lol

Absolutely beautiful coin, hold on to it.

Jim

PS---or was this just a trick to get a bunch of pm offers on it. hm

Yeah, that die gouge ruins it for me, too. I would think that this terrible example of a furniture leveling disc would make a good giveaway for your 105th post. I doubt anyone would complain as it wouldn't be polite to complain about a gift. lol

Absolutely beautiful coin, hold on to it.

Jim

PS---or was this just a trick to get a bunch of pm offers on it. hm

Sorry for the slow response, a snow storm knocked my power out for a long time...

No, not any trick, just dead honest. I love Buffalo nickels, I think most of you have figured this out by now. This Morgan is very nice and I'm just having a time! When ever I Think about selling it, I just know I'll miss it. I owned this coin for many, many years... It's a problem!....Joe.... :frustrated:

It looks like it might be a VAM-7. The VAM-7A has this die gouge, too, but it also has a prominent die crack across the top of "ATES" of STATES that angles to the rim above the "A".

Chris

It's a VAM 7 ....I wish it had the die crack in the right place :headbang: That would be nice...

DMPL's coins are just problems, they are addictive. I did an inventory of mine last weekend, clearly I have issues.

Buffalo head has shown me this coin before and it is very nice. I have a 78-S with the same purple "fatty tone"

Great problem to have

Joe--I would not sell that coin if I was you. I know from personal experience. I have about 10 Morgans that are very similar to yours and I have struggled with the thought of wanting to sell them for more $$ to buy moreWalkers. I have decided NOT to do it and to just keep them. I will buy more Walkers later or with other funds; it's just not worth it to lose Morgan Dollar coins such as these.

Joe--I would not sell that coin if I was you. I know from personal experience. I have about 10 Morgans that are very similar to yours and I have struggled with the thought of wanting to sell them for more $$ to buy moreWalkers. I have decided NOT to do it and to just keep them. I will buy more Walkers later or with other funds; it's just not worth it to lose Morgan Dollar coins such as these.

ya know, your right....I'm ending the auction....NOW!!!

That is a beautiful coin, hands down my favorite morgan dollar i have ever seen! I found this 84-cc on ebay with a similar look and had to buy it. I can't wait to see it in hand, if it looks anything like yours i will be pleased, here is the one i bought:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=320670735004&si=4327sAjngcrb7P4ZYuma7PjQV60%253D&viewitem=

That is a beautiful coin, hands down my favorite morgan dollar i have ever seen! I found this 84-cc on ebay with a similar look and had to buy it. I can't wait to see it in hand, if it looks anything like yours i will be pleased, here is the one i bought:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=320670735004&si=4327sAjngcrb7P4ZYuma7PjQV60%253D&viewitem=

That is a beauty!! Let us know how it looks when you receive it....