• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An Unusual "1939" Dime

13 posts in this topic

Here is a little button that was issued in connection with the 1939 March of Dimes fund raising drive. Franklin Roosevelt was victim of infantile paralysis and was a driving force in the movement.

I always like to see coins on buttons. Usually they are connected to the presidential races of 1896 and 1900, but this one is a bit different.

MarchofDimes.jpg

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I have one of those, too. It's illustrated on page ix in the introduction to my Mercury Dime book.

That would make a nice additon to any merc. collection. Nice find

I paid $4 for it, which is probably "full strapping retail," but it fits in with the FDR section of my political buttons collection, so I sprung for it. ;)

Brings back memories from the mid-50’s, lined up in the hallway leading into the lunchroom…waiting till they called next. Lot’s of lower lip biting and kids crying once they got in the hot seat for the shot.

Not to stray from the topic, we got March of Dimes folders in Sunday school with paper backed half moon slots cut into cardboard to hold your donated dimes. When we turned them in, we got a little metal button with a tab that you folded over so you could attach it to an article of clothing proclaiming you gave to MOD.

Note: Slips were sent home and if a parent wanted to opt out for their kids, they could. I remember a big push on TV shows for all children to get the vaccine. Shows with hosts like Groucho Marx, Ted Mack, Tennessee Ernie Ford would take time out to announce the greatness Dr. Sauk gave to the world. I had a classmate who had contracted polio and was crippled in the left leg, so there was no second guessing with my parents.

That would make a nice additon to any merc. collection. Nice find

I paid $4 for it, which is probably "full strapping retail," but it fits in with the FDR section of my political buttons collection, so I sprung for it. ;)

way cool :)