• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can you help me grade an 1881-O Morgan?

17 posts in this topic

I am trying to improve my grading skills. I have not tried to grade very many toned Morgans. This one was given to me as a gift about 50 years ago.

I have jpg's of the front and back could someone please tell me how to post the pictures on this forum. I have never posted pictures to a forum before. The photos are currently in Adobe PhotoShop. Sorry just learning.

I had to run after I got ur pics up but I'm with the others, nice looking Morgan. I with MS62, I think the Rev makes up for the couple scratches on the Obv.

Agree with MS60-62, I love the toning! Did you get it toned up or did it tone while you had it the last 50 years?

I recently purchased this one for the toning and is very similar, it was in one of the Tidy House advertisements.

TidyHouse3.jpg

TidyHouse.jpg

TidyHouse2.jpg

Very sharp Obverse strike. Hair details way above average for this mint and date. The reverse is a bit above average strike, sharp edge details and a weak central strike--breast feathers--common for this mint .

MS63 without the Obverse focal hits. MS62 overall.

Nice Morgan and I really like the toning.

$ilverHawk

I'm comfortable with MS-62, and except for the cheek scrape it's really a nice example.

And I just realized that I need at least one Tidy House Morgan. :grin:

I think if graded they will hit this for rim damage - just too many issues

It does have some nice color but I think an MS60 on this

Rim damage? Please point out what you see as rim damage. I don't see any rim damage.

There may be other grading issues, but rim damage is not an issue.

$ilverHawk

Rim damage? Please point out what you see as rim damage. I don't see any rim damage.

There may be other grading issues, but rim damage is not an issue.

$ilverHawk

SO I am picky :) - I see a lot of rolled edges into the deticles especially below the date and from 9:00 to 12:00 on the obverse and right below the "AR" in dollar and 8:00 to 12:00 on the rim.

That and the obvious visual displeasing items is why I went 60 on this coin - may go an extra point for color - Its a nice coin non the less.

(My point of view is my point of view and my not be duplicated, copied and/or transcribed in any way without expressed written consent me, myself and I - Please, if you make a request make it in triplicate for each of the above mentioned parties)

:-)