• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you have any numismatic superstitions?

17 posts in this topic

One that come to mind off the top of my head is the Kissi penny. It was believed to have a soul and if it was broken the soul would escape and bring bad luck. The local witch doctor would have to be employed to repair the "coin" and restore the soul.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

When I buy a coin in a third-world slab, I fear that bad things will happen to it. :grin:

I never send a toned coin for grading on a Mon-Sat as when sent on these days it always costs me $30 and is refused as questionable color. It must be the USPS. I've never tried sending one on Sunday as I didn't want to make it 100%(that and the post offices are closed). :baiting:

Jim

All cultures have superstitions, but do you have any relating only to coin collecting?

Yes, I do.

Prior to participating in a live auction (in a room of real bidders, not "live online"), my superstition is to buy two bottles of Lipton tea, one sweetened, one unsweetened. During the auction, each time I win a bid, I take a swig of the sweetened tea. When I lose, I take a gulp of the bitter stuff (I don't like unsweetened tea).

It's a stupid superstition (aren't they all?), but I guess it helps me to remember how much I hate losing out on a coin I really want, and how nice it is to win one once in awhile.

When walking out of a 7 Eleven, my Slurpee is held in my left hand so my right hand can be free to pick up all loose the change in the parking area. As of late, it would seem that people are just throwing away perfectly good money. If the coin on the ground is "tails up" I leave it alone...meaning I will only pick-up coins that are laying heads up!

A seagull once beat me to a quarter, but I could not tell if it was heads or tails...as he flew off, I wished him good luck.

Maybe it's a Texas thing. If a coin is Tails Up, I leave it lie. If it's heads up, I'll pick it up, cross where it was laying and offer it up to the Lord then put it into my pocket. It's funny, I still take the time to even pick up pennies!

The easiest way to have the market price for any coin to drop is for me to buy an example at the current higher price...

not really a superstition because it's true.

When walking out of a 7 Eleven, my Slurpee is held in my left hand so my right hand can be free to pick up all loose the change in the parking area. As of late, it would seem that people are just throwing away perfectly good money. If the coin on the ground is "tails up" I leave it alone...meaning I will only pick-up coins that are laying heads up!

I share this superstition as well. (thumbs u

All cultures have superstitions, but do you have any relating only to coin collecting?

Yes, I do.

Prior to participating in a live auction (in a room of real bidders, not "live online"), my superstition is to buy two bottles of Lipton tea, one sweetened, one unsweetened. During the auction, each time I win a bid, I take a swig of the sweetened tea. When I lose, I take a gulp of the bitter stuff (I don't like unsweetened tea).

It's a stupid superstition (aren't they all?), but I guess it helps me to remember how much I hate losing out on a coin I really want, and how nice it is to win one once in awhile.

I like your answer! Interesting. :)

I don't practice it but I have also heard "Do not pick up a penny unless it's the head side up".

I always pick them up - heads or tails doesn't bother me! So what if I've been divorced twice. That's a good thing!

Everyone knows the legend about George Washington throwing a silver dollar across the Potomac (?) River, but never try to duplicate this feat with your own money.

Chris