• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Snowed in .... in Texas!!

41 posts in this topic

Can you believe that we have practically a blizzard going on?

Looks like those darn Green Bay Packers brought that ugly bad weather with them to the great white north Texas!!! lol

Look at these pictures.... I mean, can you believe this!!

IMG_4059.jpg

Look, even the grass is almost covered!!

IMG_4060.jpg

My neighbors roof may collapse!!

IMG_4061.jpg

Can you believe these freaks are driving in this!

IMG_4062.jpg

And just a couple more shots of the outrageousness!!! Enjoy your weather this year, my winter is practically over!!!

IMG_4063.jpg

IMG_4064.jpg

IMG_4065.jpg

Yep, schools are closed today. It's actually not the snow that's a problem. If you've ever lived in this part of Texas, you'll know that actual snow is quite rare. And below the small later of snow that we have here is about an inch of ice. Now that... is the dangerous part and why I choose not to drive in it and why I'm glad they closed the schools today. Those who said it's dangerous to drive in Texas weather like this are absolutely correct. It's not so much you as it is the other insufficiently_thoughtful_persons who decide to drive and think they can break and stop on a dime. I'm from Texas originally, but I have lived in the north and came to understand that. PS, going to Walmart... wish me luck! lol

Can you believe that we have practically a blizzard going on?

Looks like those darn Green Bay Packers brought that ugly bad weather with them to the great white north Texas!!! lol

Look at these pictures.... I mean, can you believe this!!

In the midwest, we call that "snow flurries".

Northerners would call that "a few flakes".

The thing about snow here in Texas also is the highway dept. does not have the equip. to take care of the highways like they do in the snow states that are used to it. I guess they figure it cost less to shut them down then to buy the equip to keep them snow free.

WHITE DEATH FROM THE SKY!!!!!1!!!1!

Yup, my wife got snowed in a couple weeks back, because Atlanta was basically shut down for a week from the last winter blast. Hopefully this one will more or less miss us here in Mississippi

The thing about snow here in Texas also is the highway dept. does not have the equip. to take care of the highways like they do in the snow states that are used to it.

We get a decent snow about once a year here where I live and the highway dept still doesn't do much here.

We have 8 inches and counting today...

IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

Coindue - that is really funny - a Blizzard !! :D

Try dealing with this :

Looks like upstate NY. We're supposed to get about 20" tomorrow.

We got about 12 inches today and 3 ft drifts with 30 to 50 winds all day. Negative 14 with the wind. It's really bad. Guess I'll have to stay home tomorrow and play with coins. Darn, I hate that.:)

lol Believe me, I know what being snowed in really is. Of all places, I lived in Idaho for a year. Didn't see the ground from November till April that year. Thought I would die! That's why I enjoy living where I live. Figured you guys would enjoy a Texas blizzard! And actually, last year, around this time, we had a real snow fall of about 6". And, it was real snow and it didn't bother anyone driving at all, other than driving 10 to 20 mph slower.

I got about 15" here in Oklahoma and while I know this is nothing to some of you "Northerners" It is different then the snow up north. For example I had some friends from New York visiting in 07 and they were calling for a Snow storm with up to 4". My friends from New York gave me heck about this. The next day however when I was talking them back to the airport there tune changed when they walked out on top of the 4" of snow we got and they were still on top of it. Like Sam pointed out there is a lot of Sleet and Ice mixed with the snow we get. Normally it is MUCH heavier then what falls up north.

The 15" we got here is a record however it is much easier to get around on this then the small amounts we normally get.

The main problem we have here is the drivers. People just do not know how to drive on it. There is also the fact that we have a lot of redneck rere's who think that just because they have a 4x4 that it works on Ice which it doesn't

It is below freezing in Houston! We had to cover all of our tropical plants oh my! They are predicting snow flakes for Thursday - ooohhh. Can't say I miss those Chicago, DC, and Boston winters, it was cold today - got down to 40!

But I remember my 4 years in Edmonton, now that was where you found out how to live, we would have weeks where the high was -30. Yes that is right, -30, you know you are alive when you get that.......

12 inches here in OKC...which is about a foot more than I want to deal with for the entire year let alone a single storm.

It is my firm belief that the first flake that falls is one more than is ever necessary.

One thing to keep in mind is that a foot of snow here where we don't have any equipment to deal with it causes more problems than 3 feet of snow in the northeast.

I remember the first time I crossed Donner Pass on I-80 going from Reno to Sacramento in 1982. The snow depth markers along the side of the highway start at 15'. On Mt. Rose, between Lake Tahoe and Reno, I saw 40' pine trees surrounded by snow, but what I didn't realize was that these trees were actually 70-80 feet tall.

Chris

Sam.......this is a real blizard!! When you have to dig yourself out of you house then you really know you got hit!!

That is insane - where is this ??

That's not snow, that's a dusting! We still have 6-inches on the ground for the dogs to run around in from last week--and our not-so-wonderful power company is still restoring power from last week's storm!

Sam.......this is a real blizard!! When you have to dig yourself out of you house then you really know you got hit!!

That is insane - where is this ??

It was in South Dakota. We got hit with 3ft+ of snow in about 5 hours, plus we

had 20mpg winds so the snow drifts were crazy. The snow was over 10ft tall

against the house. If happened Friday night.....we had to go to school monday

morning!! :ohnoez:

Another day home from school for my boys today. More ice than anything. Anyhow, it's slick out there. Gotta run to the store later so I'll let you know what the conditions are actually like. Keep warm and take care out there.

And, if you were expecting a package from me in the last couple of days, the mail here hasn't run either!! Now isn't that outrageous? What happened to the old motto? "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds"

We have 3" of hard packed ice, and on top of that, 5" of snow. The temp's falling and will be at -5 today, with 20 mph winds making it feel like, what, -30?

Four wheel drive, baby!!!!!!!!!!!