• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1889-S Morgan PCGS (revealed)

15 posts in this topic

Guess the grade, I paid more than I wanted to, but got caught up in the bidding :insane:. The scratches on liberties cheek are on the holder as well as quite a few of the others on the reverse. Let me know what you think it graded at.

Pictures taken with my phone.

2011-01-29153420.jpg

2011-01-29153400.jpg

I am at AU-53, or AU-55 if there is less "chatter" than appears in the images.

The 1889-S is a fascinating issue in the series, with luster quite unlike the earlier and very vibrant S-mint coins, or the duller and later S-mints. These tend to have "dish-like" luster, and when combined with prooflike properties (which yours is not), it produces an incredible effect that I like more than any other in the series.

OK, this is the coin I bought with the money I got from the 1883O Morgan PCGS MS63 that I sold before Christmas and recieved $61 which was way more than I expected at the time.

I found it on the bay while looking for a nice raw 1889 P for my 7070 to represent my grandfathers birthyear. It was listed as just 1889 by a seller with 12 feedback. He didn't indicate it was San Francisco mint except for the toggle button. I would have gotten it much cheaper but he had a reserve so I had to bid up to the reserve which hindsight being what it is I might not have gone as high.

In the end I bought it for $80 plus $6 shipping. It is graded AU55 by PCGS. The slab has quite a few scratches but I think it's about on the money both grade and what I paid. Thanks for your opinions!

Last 2 sales on the bay went for 115 and 122.

An AU53 at 122 with a day left and an AU58 at 159 with more than a day to go. I felt it would be a good deal when I found it listed without the S designation.