• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions Wanted posted by sethwells

16 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

which of these would you choose?

I have a horrible dilemma. I have this beautiful coin with these really nice photos and I can not decide which photo to use as my display photo. I would love everyone's opinions and also your reasoning for why you would use this one or that one and so on. Its a terrible predicament to be in and I NEED GUIDANCE!

The photo on the left is from the heritage auction, the right is from the ebay auction and the bottom photo is the zoomed in to just the coin also from the heritage auction.

When I started collecting coins I never had any intentions at all it was just for fun but over the years my interests have settled on wanting the best. I never thought I could ever own a coin of this magnitude let alone afford one. This coin holds the auction record for its year and type as well has being the finest known example. It previously sold at Heritage for $2185 before making its way to me through ebay.

I enjoy collecting coins for their beauty and rarity as well as the competition involved with trying to have the best. This coin was on ebay for over 4 months before I talked myself into buying it as well as figuring out a way to afford it. I sold 25 ounces of silver and 1 oz of palladium to get this coin.

I still cant believe it was on ebay more than a week, but Im glad its in my hands where it will be displayed for anyone and everyone to see. Obscuring this coin should be a crime!

Good luck to everyone in your coin hunting and cherishing.

8283.JPG

See more journals by sethwells

I love the zoom-in for a couple of reasons, first of which it highlights the coin and not the holder. A 1964 PF-70 is a special coin and you do not want your eyes distracted by the holder. Additionally it allows for the viewer of the coin to embrace the full beauty of the coin. The zoom-in also allows for the viewer to examine every detail of the coin. For instance, the waves in Washington's hair boldly stand out. Since your coin is a 70, this coin shows all the details the way they were meant to be. People will know they are viewing a PF-70 by the slot name. All the coins in my personal sets are of the zoom-in variety. For someone who is not a Washington Quarter collector your coin takes my breath away. Congratulations, you have a special coin.

Gary

I personally like when the proof fields are dark also so that the Cameo is brought out. The zoom in is nice but doesn't represent the Cameo designation at all. It makes it look to satiny. Of the 2 slab pics, I'm not real keen on the one on the left as it's out of focus and looks to have hazing from the lighting. The slab on the right looks much better but looks to have been photoshopped to wash out the glare/haze in the fields. From what I can see, looks to have those trail marks running thru it that photoshop uses to clone areas of a picture. I think I would actually try to get my own pictures of the coin to best represent this Fine looking Washie! Jmo

wow, we are all very different..beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder--how about a zoom image of just the "white on black" coin photo on the right..it shows better the depths of detail on Washington ( hair, cheek, jaw)while also accentuating the stark cameo contrast..........

I like the full coin shot at the bottom; it's more for the collector than the judge. I like the semi obscurity a full coin shot provides while allowing the viewer a beautiful close up shot of the coin. If you have an issue with someone using your full slab photo without your permission then seeing your coin on ebay in another sellers store for sale or if you feel someone who would consider using a CS Members photo without permission would want a full coin shot or would they prefer a full slab shot with certification number showing to give their ad more validity? I believe this senario happened to a CS member not long ago were their coin was seen for sale on ebay. A dealer had a similar coin and used the CS members display photo. Anyway, the first shot looks to be a nice photo in natural light it’s without flash and didn't look to be retouched & I liked it. The second has been retouched for contrast and a bit too much; the third is the best of the lot I feel. That is a beautiful coin and you can really see that in the last photo.

I suppose if the coin were for sale I would want to see the full slab shot, for display the full coin shot.

Top left is probably the better picture. I have to agree with James in that I think that the top right is a scan or a picture that has been fiddled with. At any rate, both of the top pictures have white balance problems. The bottom picture even though it's nice, doesn't show any cameo contrast and that's what makes this coin stand out from others and it should be shown to best show off the coin.

Well now.....

I like all three, but I have to pick just one. The left image is crip, but has lost the full color of the slab. The ebay (right) imaging is also sharp. Nice cameo and decent color for the label. The third.......well, it could be any good looking quarter, and we would never know....would we? It now boils down to two. Many registry sets use just the coin's image and look super. I tend to mix mine up from set to set. My personal preference is the full slab, and let it all be seen. Gary is always right though.......dammit. I guess if you have already done it with full slabs.....keep it uniform. If not, just do the coin and omit the slab. Either way, the slot tells us what it is. You are nice enough to share it, and not check the obscure box. For that, we thank you! Great coin, and congrats!

I think you should choose the one with the most cameo contrast, afterall, that is the focus of the coin. What is most important is that you should choose the one that you love the most- it is a personal choice, who cares what others think- we collect coins for our own personal enjoyment, not to get cudos or approval from our friends and fellow collectors. Just my two cents, best of luck my friend!

When lighting a coin, think of it as a miniature portrait. How would you light a portrait to best effect? Usually, light should come from the upper front in a soft cone that shows line and detail without washing out highlights or blocking shadows.

.. Since your coin is a 70, this coin shows all the details the way they were meant to be....

That makes it sound as if coins graded less than 70 don't do the same. And in many instances they do.

Personally, I think all three images have major drawbacks, but to choose between them, I think I would toss out the scan on the right and choose the close-up, even though it's shot under diffused light that hides the Cameo. The Heritage image is clear but does not focus on the coin.