• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I need a Whizzed coin

21 posts in this topic

Anyone got one they would be willing to let me borrow in the name of education? I'll pay shipping both ways, but I need to look at, examine, and photograph one in hand. This will be for an upcoming WYNTK article.

I need a corroded coin as well.

If anyone has an early american copper that shows porosity, I would love to be able to borrow it.

If I can't get one in hand, detailed pictures will be the next best thing.

Thanks y'all!

Anyone got one they would be willing to let me borrow in the name of education? I'll pay shipping both ways, but I need to look at, examine, and photograph one in hand. This will be for an upcoming WYNTK article.

I need a corroded coin as well.

If anyone has an early american copper that shows porosity, I would love to be able to borrow it.

If I can't get one in hand, detailed pictures will be the next best thing.

Thanks y'all!

grade_it may have some examples to send ya.

But then again, you would have to subscribe to his ideology and support his agenda! 109.gif

I have a Franklin half that has been buffed, not whizzed, whizzing moves metal, buffing polishes, actually smoothing the surfaces.

Let me dig it out and look at it again.

It's hideousness! lol It was shiny shiny when I got this in a lot about 15 years ago, and now it is turning dull gray...blech.

It would be a good example of what a buffed silver coin would look like in 15 years, that's about all.

I have a Franklin half that has been buffed, not whizzed, whizzing moves metal, buffing polishes, actually smoothing the surfaces.

Let me dig it out and look at it again.

That could be useful as well.

whizzing moves metal, buffing polishes, actually smoothing the surfaces.

But how can you smooth the surface without moving metal?

It's strictly a hypothetical statement as to the method proposed. Whizzing a silver coin with a high speed wire brush, along with moderate pressure will move surface metal faster than a high speed cotton wheel infused with jewelers rouge. Of course both methods will eventually "move" metal, but they do generally differ in surface texture and in most instances, the method of "doctoring' can be identified.

Here are pictures of a 1921 Peace dollar that has been whizzed. The coin is in a NGC AU Details slab. I would not want the coin cracked out however. I can take higher resolution pictures. This is just a scan.

21Peace.jpg21PeaceRev.jpg

Doctors have been applying shellac (and other adulterants) to make coins surfaces appear better than they are for at probably close to one hundred years. It is too easy in most cases to see the coating and it may damage the surface of the coin, plus they are hard to remove.

A novice tryed to wizz the fields on this UNC 1895S Morgan to make the fields look smoother and gem doh!

IMG_0181a.jpgIMG_0182a.jpg

Are you making a post on surface problems? How about an 1895 proof Morgan that has been overdipped and whiped? :o

IMG_0187a.jpgIMG_0188a.jpg

Ray, are those coins yours? :o

They are in my possession but they are not my coins. These are from my uncles collection. He has been a numismatist for over 50 years. Too bad he never learned how to evaluate coins. (shrug) He paid problem free price for both of these coins. Luckily most of the other morgans in the (full) set are decent.