• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Congrats to the 2010 Registry Award Winners!!

46 posts in this topic

I would like to just say congrats to the registry award winners!! Link

Here is a few from the people who participant in the forum!! :applause:

Best Modern Set!!

Brian Andersen – Brian's Rainbow Roosies Link

This writer has been in coins long enough to remember when a silver coin wasn’t even offered for sale until after it had been routinely dipped white, so to see a complete collection of silver Roosevelt Dimes all of which have gorgeous toning is a rare treat. Consisting of very high grade coins, most of which are certified with Full Torch and the NGC designation, this set is a remarkable achievement. Among the many highlights are the following: 1948, 1950, 1951, 1952-S and 1955-D, all grading MS68 FT, as well as a rare MS-67+ FT specimen of 1961-D.

The Ness Collection – Only the Best for the 21st Century Set! Link

It’s hard to believe that the current century is already old enough to form a type set, but this collection is splendid proof that such a set can be memorable. Though it’s not the highest-point entry, the owner reveals that the Lincoln Memorial Cent proved to be the key at MS-70 Red. Other condition rarities include a 2005-P SMS dime grading MS-69 FT, a 2004-D Texas Quarter in MS-69 and a very scarce MS-69 example of the 2005-P SMS half dollar grading MS-69.

Best Presented Set!!

Jackson – Morton Short Set of Full Strike Walkers Link

The Walking Liberty Half Dollar series is extremely popular, and the “short set” of 1941-47 is an affordable goal for many collectors. This distinctive set was assembled with an eye toward overall quality, with special emphasis on strike quality. The owner’s commentary on each issue reveals the relative rarity of fully struck examples. Each coin is illustrated, as well. Condition rarities include 1941-S at MS-66, 1942-S at MS-66 (which the owner notes is an underrated date), 1944 and 1946-D (both MS-67). This Registry set serves as a valuable primer for anyone assembling the 1941-47 series.

Lehigh96 – The Atlantic City Set of Jefferson Nickels Link

This long series of Jefferson Nickels 1938-64 is nearing completion, though several issues are awaiting the location of suitable specimens. The owner is clearly determined to have the finest set, if not in terms of numeric grade or points then certainly in terms of overall quality and eye appeal. Several entries are also rare varieties, such as the 1941-S Large S grading MS-65 and the 1946-D over inverted D nickel at MS-66. Other highlights include 1939 Reverse of 40 MS-67, 1939-S Reverse of 38 MS-67, 1943/2-P MS-65 5FS and 1951-S MS-67. This set’s owner really knows his nickels and shares this information freely with readers.

I would just like to say I was truly shocked to see my name on the list. Thank you NGC!! (thumbs u

Paul you may have got the best presented set but I think you also have the best set in terms of eye appeal!! :applause::applause:

Congrats to the winners! I recognize a majority of those names up there, which probably says more about me than them! lol A wonderful accomplishment that you all should be proud of!

I would just like to say I was truly shocked to see my name on the list. Thank you NGC!! (thumbs u

Which one is yours? The Ness collection?

Yep, that's the Schatzy collection.

Nice and congrsts to all the winners . :applause:

And also a big hand to everyione who strives for but doesn't quite make it . There's always next year :)

Paul you may have got the best presented set but I think you also have the best set in terms of eye appeal!! :applause::applause:

Thanks Jaime,

One of my numismatic goals for 2010 was to win a BEST PRESENTED award. Next year I am looking to reach number 3 in the Jefferson Nickel category and compete for a BEST MODERN set.

Congrats on your win!

Paul

And also a big hand to everyione who strives for but doesn't quite make it . There's always next year :)

This may sound like sour grapes....but a 40% completed set can beat out a 100% completed set to take the #1 spot? The set is only 10 coins to complete, and it only takes 4 coins to take the top spot? My set, that was #1 last year, 100% complete, and no slouch of a set, loses because ONE coin is added....upping the winning set to 4 coins from 3??? #1 spot should be 100% complete, unless NO sets are 100% complete in that particular set. My sets will be retired from our hosts site. They will now only accept coins from ATS to cross while in the holder, but still treat them like 3rd world holdered coins for registry points.

Not trying to take the shine off those that have worked hard to attain a #1 set (like I have), as it is a feat to come out on top....it's great to be #1, but come on......let's be real, it should be earned.

This may sound like sour grapes....but a 40% completed set can beat out a 100% completed set to take the #1 spot? The set is only 10 coins to complete, and it only takes 4 coins to take the top spot? My set, that was #1 last year, 100% complete, and no slouch of a set, loses because ONE coin is added....upping the winning set to 4 coins from 3??? #1 spot should be 100% complete, unless NO sets are 100% complete in that particular set. My sets will be retired from our hosts site. They will now only accept coins from ATS to cross while in the holder, but still treat them like 3rd world holdered coins for registry points.

Not trying to take the shine off those that have worked hard to attain a #1 set (like I have), as it is a feat to come out on top....it's great to be #1, but come on......let's be real, it should be earned.

I don't understand what you are talking about. Are you saying that PCGS coins will not earn points?

Furthermore, if he beat your 10 coins with only 4, he absolutely earned it. Would you feel better if he had some circulated coins graded for his empty slots graded just to fill the slots?

If you want to play the game you need to accept the rules.

Different people have different ideas about collecting. When Tomaska was putting together his new Franklin book (which is the current definitive book on the series), he asked me to send him 8 of my Franklins (out of 35 date/mm for the series) for potential inclusion as plate coins in his book. Obviously not all 8 of my Frankies ended up as plate coins, but my understanding is a variety did (I should be getting my copy this week to find out which did). Please note, my set is only ranked #15. Most of the sets ahead of me don't even have one coin in the book. Now either the acknowledged leading expert on Franklins (and myself, who has been collecting Franklins for almost 25 years) don't know what a decent Franklin looks like, or we have a different view on what makes a Franklin a superior coin for a given date/mm than NGC/PCGS does. I knew going in, because of the grading/point rules, that my set would never grade higher than maybe #12, but that doesn't bother me. I'm just happy to put a set together that I, and, via NGC's Registry board, aficionados of the series, can appreciate. Personally I get my biggest kick when every now and then I get a pm out of nowhere from someone who has looked at the pictures of my coins in "the Gallery" and sends me a congratulatory pm via the NGC link.

IMO the bottom line about collecting in general is to have fun, and the Registry is just a way to share that enjoyment and pride of ownership with others.

I wish you well on your collecting goals and hope you have fun on the journey.

And as mentioned above, CONGRATULATIONS to all of you who were winners this year, be it with a single coin in the set, or a complete set of every die marriage, die state, and variety in the set! You earned it. :applause:

That looks like an all star set of collections to me. My heartiest congratulations to all the winners. :golfclap: It looks like the bar has been raised for next year :cool:

I don't understand what you are talking about. Are you saying that PCGS coins will not earn points?

Furthermore, if he beat your 10 coins with only 4, he absolutely earned it. Would you feel better if he had some circulated coins graded for his empty slots graded just to fill the slots?

No, they do earn points, but they are given a minimum. Skyman uses Frankies as an example. Though there are different standards on FBL between the two TPG's, there is no 'bonus' for both sets of bell lines, whereas, on the Jeffs, they use a 5 AND 6 step differential, giving a multitude of a point difference, and because ATS doesn't designate between 5 & 6 steps, those graded ATS are given the beat-down automatically. And, actually, yes, lower graded coins, to make a completed set, then upgrading, would make it much more palatable....thats how I did it. I upgraded my set to take #1, after it was 100% completed, simply to beat out 3 coins. The disparity is screwy......if the new #1 set gets knocked off, the owner has 12 months to look for merely ONE coin to retake the lead? Nonsense. This has given me the outlook that the registry set thing was the BEST idea the TPG's came up with, and sure enough, I bought into it. I should have looked at it from the old school point of view, and just enjoyed my sets, for myself, instead of getting into a competition. The Registries are for those that have deep pockets, whether it's to find upgrades, or to submit multiples of coins until they get one that 'hits it out of the park'....no complaints with that, mind you, as being a student, I don't have the pockets to make submission after submission until I score. Perhaps that will change upon graduation.

Again, I'm not trying to diss those that work hard to complete a set and take top honors.....most DO work hard for that #1 (as I did), but I don't consider looking for ONE coin to put in a set that isn't completed, to get to #1, part of what the registry is really there for. I know there is ability for argument due to this, but that's my line of thinking, whether you agree or not. I'm not trying to cause a ruckus, just, merely stating my my thoughts.

Duke, I'm really not understanding your problem. Coins are worth a certain number of points. The points are available for all to see. If you have more points than the next guy, you win. Plain and simple. Doesn't matter how many coins you have or how complete or how attractive your set is versus another guys. If he has more points, he wins.

If you don't like the rules, don't play the game.

No, they do earn points, but they are given a minimum. Skyman uses Frankies as an example. ...

I do NOT use Franklins as an example, I was trying, as politely as possible, to DISAGREE with you. I have NO problem with one truly rare coin making a top-rated "set". I was simply saying that the Registry rules are slanted a certain way, and wanted to politely say, it is indeed sour grapes to talk about one person with less coins than another winning a set given the rules. You should be collecting the coins for your own personal sense of satisfaction... not for being number 1 in a game slanted in a certain direction. It sounds like you are moving in the direction of personal satisfaction so that is good.

No, they do earn points, but they are given a minimum. Skyman uses Frankies as an example. ...

I do NOT use Franklins as an example, I was trying, as politely as possible, to DISAGREE with you. I have NO problem with one truly rare coin making a top-rated "set". I was simply saying that the Registry rules are slanted a certain way, and wanted to politely say, it is indeed sour grapes to talk about one person with less coins than another winning a set given the rules. You should be collecting the coins for your own personal sense of satisfaction... not for being number 1 in a game slanted in a certain direction. It sounds like you are moving in the direction of personal satisfaction so that is good.

Yes, I am slanting to have my sets for personal satisfaction. It is one thing to hunt for an upgrade to improve a set, and another to simply look for any coin to add to a set to overtake a complete set.

Perhaps it is sour grapes.....which is why I'll refuse to play the game on this side. I have never really tried to 'get into it' here (with one exception), and don't wish to over this, but 'more points, you lose', is like saying a baseball team that is 5 games out of first place with 6 to play is going to win all 6, so thats that. First place should be decided after the 6 games are played in that scenario (unless, of course, they lose the first 2). I KNOW if the new #1 continues as he has, there is no way for me to catch him... NO way....that is a fact I can deal with, but I'd at least like to see him play the full schedule before conceding defeat.

Duke, I'm really not understanding your problem. Coins are worth a certain number of points. The points are available for all to see. If you have more points than the next guy, you win. Plain and simple. Doesn't matter how many coins you have or how complete or how attractive your set is versus another guys. If he has more points, he wins.

If you don't like the rules, don't play the game.

Hypothetically, do you think a set with ONE coin should be a 'Registry SET' winner (emphasis on SET)? It's a possibility, pointswise, that it can happen. Is that what the registry set is all about? Putting one coin worth a bundle of points in a set to win a piece of paper and a banner, IMO, is mocking another who worked hard to find enough coins to complete a set. My slant now is to not play the lopsided game any longer and collect for the enjoyment, which is why I got into the hobby originally. It IS my own fault for getting caught up in the game.

Yes, I am slanting to have my sets for personal satisfaction. It is one thing to hunt for an upgrade to improve a set, and another to simply look for any coin to add to a set to overtake a complete set.

Perhaps it is sour grapes.....which is why I'll refuse to play the game on this side. I have never really tried to 'get into it' here (with one exception), and don't wish to over this, but 'more points, you lose', is like saying a baseball team that is 5 games out of first place with 6 to play is going to win all 6, so thats that. First place should be decided after the 6 games are played in that scenario (unless, of course, they lose the first 2). I KNOW if the new #1 continues as he has, there is no way for me to catch him... NO way....that is a fact I can deal with, but I'd at least like to see him play the full schedule before conceding defeat.

CGC has a similar setup with top ranking registry sets.

cgcregistryaward001.jpg

In addition to that, they issue nice plaques to a few select sets. These sets are not necessarily based on the most points. I won a nice, heavy plaque last year, and people had several thousand points more than I did. Unfortunately, the plaque burned in the fire a few weeks ago.

cgcregistryawards001.jpg

Perhaps NGC should offer something like this as well for those that put the most effort into their set.

I think you are taking about your 1987 mint set. Jason is the one that only has four coins

in his set. He is a Roosevelt collector at heart so I think he was upgrading his Roosevelt

set and it just so happened that he took the 1st place spot.

IMO you don't even have a NGC coin in your 1987 set so you shouldn't be able to get the #1 spot anyways!!

Perhaps NGC should offer something like this as well for those that put the most effort into their set.

The NGC registry offers a number of awards like that. They offer the Best Presented set, for best pictures and descriptions. They offer Most Creative Set, in a number of different categories. You don't have to necessarily have the most points to win these, but your set does need to be at least 50% complete.

I think you are taking about your 1987 mint set. Jason is the one that only has four coins

in his set. He is a Roosevelt collector at heart so I think he was upgrading his Roosevelt

set and it just so happened that he took the 1st place spot.

IMO you don't even have a NGC coin in your 1987 set so you shouldn't be able to get the #1 spot anyways!!

Your opinion is moot (honestly, not to offend), as it's NGC's rules, it's their house. I do believe you have to state which set you want the coin to be entered in, and he has more than just Roosies in it (he has done the same with the '85, '86, '87 sets, to name just a few, with no more than 2-4 coins, so it isn't that he's only updating his Roosies....and granted, he does have high grade coins in said sets). I'm not dissing on the owner, don't get me wrong.....

If you think that a PCGS coin doesn't belong there, then they shouldn't accept PCGS coins period, but they do. Maybe, though, they shouldn't, then the 6 steps vs. 5 steps, star designations, etc, would have no bearing. Though, MANY sets have both, but because my set has none, it shouldn't be allowed a #1 spot, but the rest that have both should??? I took #1 with NO NGC coins last year....should I send the cert back???

P.S. There are specific reasons, that I will not get into, as to why I have no NGC coins in my registry sets, but apparently, if you want to 'score high' in their registry, they ARE needed.

P.S. There are specific reasons, that I will not get into, as to why I have no NGC coins in my registry sets, but apparently, if you want to 'score high' in their registry, they ARE needed.

Yes, it's referred to as "home field advantage"

Yes, it's referred to as "home field advantage"

That I fully agree with. I hope you all understand I am NOT dumping on the owner of the set at all. Also, I will freely admit, upon adding it to the registry here, I was not aware (my oversight) there was a different 'point scale' between the two, until, perhaps months later. I'm not one to 'give in' easily, at all....but perhaps, after reading the posts in regard to my original post, I shouldn't be so 'bitter' (yes, I'll say it), as it seems I'm coming off as, and just accept what's given. For those that think I am, my apologies.