• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Congrats to the 2010 Registry Award Winners!!

46 posts in this topic

Perhaps NGC should offer something like this as well for those that put the most effort into their set.

The NGC registry offers a number of awards like that. They offer the Best Presented set, for best pictures and descriptions. They offer Most Creative Set, in a number of different categories. You don't have to necessarily have the most points to win these, but your set does need to be at least 50% complete.

(thumbs u

P.S. There are specific reasons, that I will not get into, as to why I have no NGC coins in my registry sets, but apparently, if you want to 'score high' in their registry, they ARE needed.

Yes, it's referred to as "home field advantage"

WJ--I am burning with curiosity. Why would you not have NGC coins in your registry sets??

P.S. There are specific reasons, that I will not get into, as to why I have no NGC coins in my registry sets, but apparently, if you want to 'score high' in their registry, they ARE needed.

Yes, it's referred to as "home field advantage"

WJ--I am burning with curiosity. Why would you not have NGC coins in your registry sets??

I believe WoodenJefferson was quoting me, when I said I have no NGC coins in my sets for a specific reason. I'd be willing to bet that WoodenJefferson DOES have NGC coins in his registry set/s..

What I started, well, it seems to have gotten out of control, and I am solely to blame. I am beginning to think I opened a can of worms I wish I could close. I derailed what should have been a congratulatory thread......but due to the left over 'Kool-Aid' from when I went from raw to certified.....well, I guess you all know how it goes from there (says the guy with tail between his legs). When I registered for the NGC registry (after I registered for the registry ATS), I was totally unaware of the point system here, and scoring difference overall. The more I read my posts, I realize I'm 'kicking and screaming'....and I do realize that 'home field advantage' is huge. Also, Jason DOES have killer coins in his sets...I know that they aren't cheap, if he's buying them. If he's making them, he has a hell of an eye. I didn't mean to start a 'donnybrook' over the topic, and have changed my outlook since I started it, and ask to be 'pardoned', only on the grounds of ignorance (I know it's not much, but it's all I have). Had I realized the difference in scoring points from 'go', I very well WOULD have NGC coins in my set (but that damn 'Kool-Aid' hangover still lingers). I guess I should be grateful to have had a #1 set on NGC's registry without having ONE NGC coin in the set. I'm no troublemaker (except when it came to BNB, which I know you here all know, having had to sit out two 1 week suspensions), and hate to start something that gets the 'lynchmob' out for a stupid, ignorant reason, as I have apparently done here. I didn't mean to de-rail the thread from it's rightful purpose...that to congratulate those that DID win. I hope you can all understand where I was coming from, and accept my most humble apologies for being, well, a jerk about things. So, I'd like to re-rail the thread for congratulations to those with the top sets. If I deserved one, then thats one thing, but I can see I haven't, plain and simple. It's just one more thing I have learned in my relatively short time as a collector (keep in mind, I've only been at it for just short of 8 years), and many of you veterans have forgotten more than I can ever hope to learn. Thank you all in advance for understanding, and please try not to hold it against me....I'm really not such a bad person...just got caught up in the 'Kool-Aid' frenzy. It's a hard-learned lesson, but a lesson I apparently needed to learn to make me a better collector. Thank you all, and especially, congratulations to those that DID win!

#1 spot should be 100% complete, unless NO sets are 100% complete in that particular set.

So how do you feel about the following hypothetical:

A.) A 100% complete Liberty Walking Half Dollar set in VG-10;

B.) A nearly complete set with all of the keys/semi-keys in MS65 or higher, and all common dates in MS67 or higher, lacking only the 1921 plain, which the seller has yet to include in his gem set;

Are you suggesting that set "A" should receive the top spot over "B" solely because "B's" set is only 98% or so complete even though "B's" set is clearly the finest in every possible way.

You may argue that I'm stretching it with my hypothetical, but the situations are clearly analogous irrespective of the individual sets involved. NGC creates a system of rules to make sense of the ranking process, factoring in a myriad of factors. These includes grade, eye appeal through the star designation, strike designations, cost, rarity, etc.

#1 spot should be 100% complete, unless NO sets are 100% complete in that particular set.

So how do you feel about the following hypothetical:

A.) A 100% complete Liberty Walking Half Dollar set in VG-10;

B.) A nearly complete set with all of the keys/semi-keys in MS65 or higher, and all common dates in MS67 or higher, lacking only the 1921 plain, which the seller has yet to include in his gem set;

Are you suggesting that set "A" should receive the top spot over "B" solely because "B's" set is only 98% or so complete even though "B's" set is clearly the finest in every possible way.

You may argue that I'm stretching it with my hypothetical, but the situations are clearly analogous irrespective of the individual sets involved. NGC creates a system of rules to make sense of the ranking process, factoring in a myriad of factors. These includes grade, eye appeal through the star designation, strike designations, cost, rarity, etc.

Coinman.....I have cleared the air, and realized that perhaps my comments were, indeed, out of line, and explained thorioughly, I thought, why I was so staunch in my belief (staunch, but wrong at the same time). I since have reconsidered, and if you read my last post, you'll see/understand why I felt the way I did. I was completely wrong, and would like to keep this thread on topic...as a congratulatory thread for all those that DID earn their #1 spots. I did NOT, and have no problem with that. It's just sometimes with a thick head, you have to have certain things pounded into it until it makes the clear sense it should.

In direct response to your hypothetical, it's actually easier to see that set B CLEARLY deserves it, given there are much more than 10 coins, and, in fact, is a much tougher set. In all honesty, comparing my example to yours is apples/oranges, but now that I've seen the error of my ways......... I didn't see it that way early on, but do now, without hesitation, and without a gripe.

Thought this Todd guy was gonna catch me ... He is putting together one hellluva

set - ALL PCGS but no pictures :(

That really depresses me when there are no pic's

Holding on by my shirt tails for this year :acclaim:

108239.jpg.5a4e33dd5dcf6e79060c764a89841846.jpg

Coinman.....I have cleared the air, and realized that perhaps my comments were, indeed, out of line, and explained thorioughly, I thought, why I was so staunch in my belief (staunch, but wrong at the same time).

I'm sorry, I didn't see that.

Congratulations to all of this year's winners; you certainly deserve it and after viewing each set, it is clear why you won. They are phenomenal.

Coinman.....I have cleared the air, and realized that perhaps my comments were, indeed, out of line, and explained thorioughly, I thought, why I was so staunch in my belief (staunch, but wrong at the same time).

I'm sorry, I didn't see that.

Congratulations to all of this year's winners; you certainly deserve it and after viewing each set, it is clear why you won. They are phenomenal.

coinman....no need to apologize. It's when you are being unreasonable, and pig headed, that one needs to apologize. Thats why I apologized. You, on the other hand, have my utmost respect for the communication we had during that 'other' episode...for which I still owe you thanks. You came in to the thread late, and fortunately, I came to my senses. Had you posted that earlier, when I was being unreasonable and pig headed, then I probably would have had a different opinion. But, bottom line is.....watch the Kool-Aid consumption!

Cool Aid can be poisonous if over ingested. Sometimes the ball rolls to the other gutter as well. You still get FBL credit on this site for PCGS Franklins that will not grade FBL at NGC. My advice is learn to roll with the rules or do not get too wound up in the registry game. No matter how hard you try, it is tough to win in popular series on any registry.

I have had many number one sets displaced by betters sets many times on this site since it first started (as I am one of the original members). As the competition grows so does the difficulty in competing at that level. Don't let it tie a knot in your enjoyment of collecting or in your accomplishments while doing it. The hobby should be enjoyed at every opportunity and if you win a registry award, great but being number one should not be the only criteria for collecting.

The 1889 Proof Set that honors my Grandfather

is Best Set of that date again - seven years running !

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/Coins/SetListing.aspx?PeopleSetID=11184

Nice set Mike

That IS a great set, but

jgrinz, yours are pretty great also!!!

Congrats to both of you!

Oldtrader....you are SOOO right. I have, as always....ALWAYS....learned another lesson the hard way, and can only hope you guys can forgive an obvious cementheaded mistake. There's too much knowledge here for me to lose any respect or your willingness to help, should I need/ask for it. aying goes.....you learn something new every day, and I learned a BIG, FAT lesson over this. My apologies, again, for taking some.most of the steam out of the thread.