• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1828 Bust Half, 1834 Half Cent

14 posts in this topic

Sorry if posting a few coins in a row is bad etiquette but i'm settling in for the night w/ a couple dark, hoppy micro-brews and a bizarre Eagles Tuesday night game...

i have grade ideas on these and curious if sending them in would be worth it... i have a couple "free" submissions from NGC so i thought i might get these sealed up...

i'm still "getting my eyes" and honing in my grading skills... the best way to do this is obviously experience, talking to others, and getting feedback... though i will admit that posting some pics here and generating discussion is WAY cheaper than learning on my own and spending $30 a pop to see if i was right!

1828 Bust Half

5299085466_201b560b0d.jpg

5298485245_1f48b22987.jpg

1834 Half Cent - burgundy color w/ some toned highlights (brown mark under date is a tiny piece of cardboard from Dansco not a gouge)

5299144714_3e9172252d.jpg

5301372545_a31155c5dd.jpg

-matt

I would concur with the others and call it

xf 40, O-102, R 2

The give away being the base of A2 is slightly higher then the base of M

Cheers Martin

The half dollar looks like a strong VF (30-35) and although it should grade wouldn't IMO be worth the price of slabbing.

The half cent appears from the pics to have been recolored and should BB for altered surfaces. If, on the other hand, the strange coloring is a component of the pic then it should grade out at about 40 with a reasonable chance of only 35.

I agree with okbustchaser on the half, looks to me like a solid VF, and probably not worth slabbing unless you have a free one expiring soon and you have nothing else to use it on! As for the half cent, I am just not that familiar with the series, so I am out of my depth.

I'll go with XF40 on the half dollar and cleaned on the half cent. As such, I wouldn't submit them for grading.

"Free grading" is free, only if you don't later have other coins/submissions that you have to pay for as a result of wasting the free ones ;)

I would say they both are at last EF-40 or better. If either was cleaned the copper wouldn't be so evenly aged and the Silver would have more luster and possibly hairline scratches. The silver looks consistantly aged I have a 1826 that is slabbed by PCGS and says "Genuine Not Gradable". I don't know why? If it's been cleaned, than it must be something that can only be seen through a microscope. It has Luster, No scratches, and looks natural. If it was cleaned it was probably just soaked in some dishwashing lotion. I really don't see that as cleaned. Do you? Now if it was dipped or whizzed then I would feel worse about it. People leave coins in pockets all the time and wash them. Nothing wrong with that in my book so to speak.

Your Silver just looks aged, not cleaned/ the copper looks natural as well.