• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Old NGC "Fattie" re-grade?

16 posts in this topic

Questions for the NGC experts here.

1. Is this an example of an old NGC "fattie" slab?

2. Do these upgrade often?

3. What do you think of this MS64 Morgan?

I was able to acquire a group of 1904-O Morgans in old NGC slabs for a good price. A few of them look very nice and I wondered the likelihood of upgrade. Here's pics of one of the nicer pieces. I've seen many 65s that don't look this good. Please comment.

04-Oobv.jpg04-Orev.jpg04-Oslab.jpg04-Oedge.jpg

Yes, that is a fatty. Yes, they sometimes upgrade. I would definitely leave a coin in the fatty over trying to upgrade - the old holder is much cooler than the tiny increment in price you'd get from a possible upgrade to 65.

IMHO, I don't believe this has a chance at a higher grade than it is currently. It is a very strong 64, and is part of a very small number of O coins with this strong a strike to it.

Keep it as is. Still a great 64.

It's a very strong 64 and, although the cheeks are VERY clean with only a few tiny baggies, the reverse eagle's breast feathers are a little soft and also the hair above the ears. I don't think that it would upgrade, unfortunately.

Thanks for the comments. I agree it's a strong 64. I will leave it as is.

Were these holders used in the late 1980's?

I beleive yours is an "NGC 5" holder as defined by Conder101, used in the early 1990s (1992-95?) He has a great reference on the progression here: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3733748&fpart=1

from the photos and sight seen might be different

but looks like a nice really nice ms65 no brainer to me

also the jump is not much so i do see this in an ngc ms 65 holder easy

my opinion from a photo and i cant grade from a photo but the photo is good and looks 65 to me from the photo and a nice!! 65 to boot

go for it submit in the holder when you get some others coin to submit for regrade in the holder at ngc and drop them off at a show to save postage one way economy service regrade if there is such a thing

good luck

Thanks for the comments. I was able to buy a few (7) of this date/mm in MS64 fatties for $53/each. I took a photo of one of the better ones but 3 others look as good or better than this one.

Without the glass they (the 4 strong ones) look like 65s. The luster is outstanding and the marks are minimal. Shot at 65s to be sure. For $53/ea???

P.S. The dealer marked his remaining 64s up to $68 right after I bought these. : )

Thanks for the comments. I was able to buy a few (7) of this date/mm in MS64 fatties for $53/each. I took a photo of one of the better ones but 3 others look as good or better than this one.

Without the glass they (the 4 strong ones) look like 65s. The luster is outstanding and the marks are minimal. Shot at 65s to be sure. For $53/ea???

P.S. The dealer marked his remaining 64s up to $68 right after I bought these. : )

i agree 100% and you got a really good eye and scooped them up (thumbs u

coins like this post 1900 and mintmarked are desirable and have in my opinion a fundemential reason to rise in demand

The old "no line" fattie NGC holders are actually becoming scarce as people crack them open and resubmit the coins.

Unless you are not a fan of toned Morgans (the "no line" holders allowed the sulphur from the label to leech onto the top of the coin and cause toning) I would leave it alone.

One of my most prized coins is an MS-64 Long Island Commemorative half dollar in a mint condition NGC-2 holder.