• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Morgan Silver Dollars MS65 PL or MS66

19 posts in this topic

Hello Collector's,

I have a Morgan silver dollar question.......Which grade is more desirable to add to my collection a N.G.C./P.C.G.S. MS65 PL graded Morgan or a MS66 by N.G.C./P.C.G.S. I really like the look and eye appeal of the proof like Morgans but the MS66 Graded Morgans have less marks and have a little more detail. I know that you should always buy the coin and not the slab/ label. I know a "DMPL" is more rare but they are usually pretty pricey too. What do you think? Which grade do you think has more of a chance to increase in value over time? As always Thank You for your time and opinions. Sincerely, Dan

thats a tough one to answer because it depends a lot on what the date and mintmark are. There are a lot of common date MS66 morgans that can be had for around $250-300 if you look around. Common date MS65PLs are in the same price range $250-300. As far as future upside potential i think either one is a safe bet. With the current movement in the bullion market, sooner or later it will transition into the numismatic market.

If you are looking for numismatics that will increase in value over time, you need to use a very common date and mintmark as a reference. Look up how many were minted. Get a general idea. Then try to find a date/mint mark that was minted in considerably less quantity than the reference but is available at a reasonable costs.

For example:

1907 St Gaudens $20 liberty, can be had for almost same price as a 1924 in MS62/MS63 however the 1907 has a mintage of 3xx,xxx compared to the 1924s 4,xxx,xxx sure the 1924 and 1907 will both likely increase in value, but there is an enormous supply of 1924s around, i don't think it has as much potential as the 1907.

Maybe some others can chime in, its definitely an interesting topic

You make some very good points, your right on about the dates and mint marks being a key factor. Thank you very much, I really appreciate your advice, Sincerely, Dan

For something like that, it really comes down to what you like, and what sort of set you are trying to put together. If you are putting together a matched 66 set, then go with that. If you are putting a set together with a range of grades, and really like the eye appeal of the PL - then go with that one.

If you're looking for appreciation down the road, you'll have to stick to the keys, semi-keys and the scarcer varieties. Unless a common-date Morgan is in one of the higher-than-optimal collecting grades, it can hardly keep up with inflation. If you look at the common dates in, say, the CDN Greysheet, there has been very little upward movement for quite a few years.

Chris

no brainer ms 66

and i am assuming both coins have great eye appeal with a full strike

now the 65 PL the problem is that the prooflike surfaces tend to highlight the light marks on the cheek and in the fields especially so on the obverse and brings them out just like a mark on a mirror the coin will look actually worse than a 65 if again it is graded ms65 prooflike if there are prooflike surfaces and many prooflike morgans are just made it PL

whereas an ms 66 coin has not only fewer marks but with the frosty surfaces they show less and hence the eye appeal in my opinion would be better and of course i am assuming you are looking for fully struck coins with great eye appeal and also high end for an ms 66 and again this would be a scarcer more desirable coin in my opinion

I am very biased towards the PL's. I would say the date MM would effect my decision.

A 78-S in 65PL are available, but in 66 it is a tough coin. A 79-s is easy in both but a great PL/DMPL year. Same for 80-s,81-s, then it gets much tougher (if not impossible for 83-S and S mints forward. CC's are readily available in 65PL.

If this is a type coin I would be very patient.

Of course we need some pics:

129.jpg

25.jpg

69.jpg