• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Very STOOPID And costly Mistake

45 posts in this topic

I've been thinking about that tonight, I have the coins he returned to me including the "First Strike" $10 Buff and I plan on asking him for the invoice but....that shop is so disorganized that it will be some time before they find the form. Thank you for your suggestion, I'll use it...

I've been thinking about that tonight, I have the coins he returned to me including the "First Strike" $10 Buff and I plan on asking him for the invoice but....that shop is so disorganized that it will be some time before they find the form. Thank you for your suggestion, I'll use it...

That's lame; no doubt.....his lack of organization does not constitute your financial crisis. Tell him that he NEEDS to produce an invoice or else if he can't, then that in and of itself sounds like fraud through deception and would never hold up in court. Can you see it, now?

Defense attorney: 'Your Honor, my client has conveniently lost his records of the transaction in question.' I would love to see him tell an auditor that! lol Give him a fair amount of time to produce it or else you MUST take this to a higher authority. This sounds very strange to me. Good Luck tomorrow and I hope that it works out. Please let us know happened.

Well, I went to the coin shop today and the owner said I didn't leave a 2008W $50 and that I left a 2008W $10. I told him I had one of his coins because it was "First Strike" and he said it was a pricey coin and PCGS marks them as such. I told him that only 30 days after mint release and he says that they mark them all "First Strike" because there were so few of them. I then asked him why he listed the last coin on the receipt as 1909W $10 and he said he "screwed up."

I have a small red uncirculated American Buffalo Celebration Coin box and there is an insert (COA) within that says, "Mint West Point, $50 Bullion, 1 oz,2008, etc. And threr you have it, I'm still confused, my wife said he didn't appear nervous and looked me in the eyes. Well, there within is a lesson learned, I scanned the last reciept and set it aside waiting return of my PCGS certified coins. I'll admit, I'm not as sharp as I once was, I'm 67 and have a sleep problem....

I have a small red uncirculated American Buffalo Celebration Coin box and there is an insert (COA) within that says, "Mint West Point, $50 Bullion, 1 oz,2008, etc. And threr you have it, I'm still confused, my wife said he didn't appear nervous and looked me in the eyes.

Just want to clarify. Based on these two above statements, it sounds like you are not quite sure, yourself, what you gave him, exactly. B/c if I KNEW someone was lying, I wouldn't care if they looked me in the eye or not or 'appeared calm'. Am I right? If not, then please forgive me. As I originally said, I would not be really adamant about pressing the issue, unless I was 100% certain. I need to know this before I can offer you further advice. I am sorry that you did not get any satisfaction, today. :(

The owner should have detailed records of the coins submitted and to whom they belong. Go to the shop with the coins you have received and match the coins to those submitted. If he is honest and somewhat organized he will know the coins that he owned vs. those that were submitted by someone else. This should not be too complex, but the longer you wait the more likely you will not get resolution to your satisfaction. Thus far you have not protected your own interests in as meaningful a manner that you should and because of this there is no guarantee that you know what you submitted or that you were or were not cheated.

I think Larry stated at the start of the thread that the store owner's name was Jerry Brown. Sad news.... :sorry:

Certainly doesn't help out with dukedog's situation either.

There were no coins marked W in 1909. W stands for West Point.

The coins minted here made their first appearance in Sept. 1983 (from this still unofficial U.S. Mint; no MM) on a $10 gold coin commemorating the 1984 Los Angeles Olympic Games. This was the first legal tender U.S. gold coin since 1933.

In 1986, American Gold Eagle bullion coins were produced at this facility, again with no mint mark. The West Point Bullion Depository was granted mint status on March 31, 1988 and this MM has appeared ever since.

hm

Olympics-1984W.jpg

1245298315.jpg

1986prgld.jpg

All with "W" mintmark.