• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Incredibly sad news, as our good friend Pete Rudden (prudden) has passed away

33 posts in this topic

I have had some quite extensive dealings with Pete over the past year. Most recently, I handled a Scotsman consignment for him, and had mailed him a settlement check, but noticed that it wasn't being cashed. After a couple of weeks, for some reason I began to get this feeling of dread. I sent Pete a few eMails, PMs, phone calls, etc. and no reply.

Today, Pete's brother, Matt, called me and confirmed my most dreaded fears, that Pete has mercifully passed away, succumbing to health complications. This was the saddest and most unfortunate conversation I have had in quite some time.

I can't tell you how tough it is for me to keep my thoughts straight right now. Matt is going to get back to me soon with details about funeral arrangements, etc. In the meantime, kindly give our dear departed friend a thought or two, and a moment of silence to appreciate our own health and that of our families.

Here's to you, Pete! Rest in Peace, good buddy.

Man, this has been one absolute crazy and difficult year for our friends in the numismatic society. Many deaths, many robberies many family issues. My thoughts and prayers are with Pete's family. I never had the opportunity to deal with Pete but always enjoyed his sharing.

2010 has been a very bad year for this forum.

My thoughts and prayers go out to prudden's family and friends. He was always an encouraging poster.

Very sad news indeed. :sorry:

Pete always seemed to have such a great attitude and conducted himself in a friendly and kind manner. I will miss him, and my prayers go out to him, his friends and family.

I will miss his posts. I will never forget the one of the stack of cracked out inserts. He was an asset to this forum.

My condolences to his family.

MM

Pete was a great guy. Even though I've never met him personally, we've corresponded on numerous occasions and I will truly miss him.

Geez, I don't know how many more of these I can take! James, please be sure to post the information for the funeral arrangements as soon as it is available. Thanks!

My thoughts and prayers are with Pete's family.

Chris

Pete and I were talking a few weeks back and he had asked me some opinions on a toned coin he had that he wanted to sell as he needed money to get some dental work done. I told him what I thought the coin would sell for and let him know that I would be glad to sell the coin free of charge to help him out....

Needless to say, just like James I have been unable to contact him since the coin sold to settle up...I am shocked and horrified to hear of his passing. He was certainly a pleasure to talk to and he will be greatly missed around here :(

My condolences to Petes' family. Make sure you give your own family a bigger hug tonight and be sure to call those folks " you've been meaning to call" You just never know :(

I just returned from another stay at the VA, only to find another true friend to our hobby has fallen. What a most difficult year for the families of our beloved fellow members and for their friends near and far. I wish my families prayers and good wishes for Pete's family and friends, some I know and many I do not. He will be sorely missed in many avenues of our existence. May God Bless All.

Jim

Most of what I remember about Prudden were his posted Morgans when he was just leaning to grade, the hard way on Ebay! I remember how disappointed he was when many of his raw Morgan dollars turned out cleaned. Sorry to hear of his passing.

The news of Pete's passing hit me pretty hard, because we were just gearing up our relationship toward making some money on his coins, and turning the proceeds toward addressing his health concerns. I'm afraid I didn't perform too brilliantly with his Scotsman consignment, or at least I'm disappointed that I wasn't able to describe his coins well enough to get them all sold. Seriously, I took this rather personally! Several of his coins did sell, but most did not, and it was because we had to reserve them too high due to what he had in them.

Honestly, I don't know how much positive impact we could have made toward getting him the health support he needed. From what I understand from Matt (Pete's brother), his health issues were badly misdiagnosed anyway. Since the correct underlying issues weren't addressed, the severity of his condition wasn't realized.

Pete and I exchanged many eMails and I knew that he was in a tough situation, with limited avenues for earning extra money. One way he hoped to make a little was through buying raw coins and adding value by getting them certified. I was helping him decide which were worthy of certification, and which were not. Unfortunately, this is really difficult to do with all the crime - sorry but I will use that word! - on eBay. Severely overgraded coins, misleading images, and all the obstacles eBay puts in the way of honest transactions - working with Pete really crystallized how much I despise that venue.

Thanks for listening. It helps me to get this off my chest. It goes without saying that I declined all of Pete's generous offers for compensation. The odds were simply stacked unfairly against our friend, and I wasn't able to do enough to help.

James, I totally understand your feelings, but you must know, that you have no fault here. Like you stated, the coins that didn't sell were because of the fact he had too much in them and the reserves were high. All the descriptions I've ever seen of your were not only awesome, but accurate. Let there be no shame in trying your best to help a brother in need. It's easy to remember the bad, but sometimes we have to let that ray of sun shine through.

Though I didn't know Pete personally, I always enjoyed his posts. My condolences & sorrow goes out to his family & friends. Our boards have lost a lot of good people this year. Could we possibly do a remembrance at the end of the year honoring all of our coin brethren?

James, I've always held you in the highest regard, and I'm sure that anything you may have tried to accomplish on Pete's behalf was more than adequate. Don't beat yourself up over it. We all will miss Pete, but you, probably more than the rest of us.

Chris