• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hard Times Tokens - Post Your Images

862 posts in this topic

1840 Bergen Iron Works, Lakewood, New Jersey, HT-206 / Low-143, Copper, 21mm Diameter, Rarity-4.

2d11lb9.jpg

2pqkqw0.jpg

Here is my HT-205 in brass for comparison. No wonder I can't find a 206 - Broadie has them all. :roflmao:

Best, HT

HT205.NGC.AU58_zpsttaxz2py.jpg

Here is my HT-205 in brass for comparison. No wonder I can't find a 206 - Broadie has them all. :roflmao:

Best, HT

I didn't purchase the lower 3 HT-206's...

If you read my original post I only listed them as a comparison of what this issue usually looks like in high grade and why it's taken me 7 years to find one to finally make my wallet wiggle.

PCGS only dating the C.D. Peacock Jewelers on the holder for the 1837 establishment date instead of 1900-1906 when these where struck is going to burn a lot of newer collectors :facepalm:

ra94eb.jpg

Some of the NGC slabs for these say '1837 Dated'........ So I am not sure that is very clear either. But you know what they say - buy the book before the token. :devil:

Best, HT

Some of the NGC slabs for these say '1837 Dated'........ So I am not sure that is very clear either. But you know what they say - buy the book before the token. :devil:

Best, HT

Would love to see proof of a 1837 dated NGC label as I have been a regular buyer of all 3 varieties in NGC MS62-MS65 over the last decade.

All NGC slabs I've handled have the same computer generated label top line "(C1900-1906) Chicago, IL".

Even the Details graded examples I've seen state the same.

Best, HT

Would love to see proof of a 1837 dated NGC label as I have been a regular buyer of all 3 varieties in NGC MS62-MS65 over the last decade.

All NGC slabs I've handled have the same computer generated label top line "(C1900-1906) Chicago, IL".

Even the Details graded examples I've seen state the same.

Currently on eBay -- it indeed says "1837-dated", but further down the label clarified it was struck 1900-1906.

peacock_NGC_slab_zpsikcfif8p.jpg

Currently on eBay -- it indeed says "1837-dated", but further down the label clarified it was struck 1900-1906.

Thanks as I've never seen that label before.

Below are the more commonly seen slab label on these.

2luci01.jpg

Here's another, consistent with Broadie's labels. Sorry for the huge pic. :blush:

Thanks EXOJ did you by chance also save the reverse image?

I was the under bidder on this 3 years ago and frustrated at the loss guess I never saved them :o

Thanks ExoJ, As I totally missed it in the S/B Sale.

I managed to fill another long awaited hole in the original Low 183 this week & will post once it arrives.

2015 so far is shaping up to be a far be HTT year then 2014 :)

1833 "I Take the Responsibility" Low-171 / Rulau HT-70A, Rarity-3, Gilt Copper, 29mm Diameter, Plain Edge.

Well I'm really happy to finally found a Gilt Copper variety which completes my "I Take The Responsibility" set. The rarity rating assigned is very underrated as this is a far tougher to locate variety then the Rarity-2 Brass HT-71 / Low-52 and in gilt is missing in many major collections ever formed. Even the finest survivors are missing some gilt on the high points which is also common with other token varieties which have also been silvered 180 years ago. Although Joe Levine has had a low grade AU or two over the years with some gilt remaining this has been the first example on the market which better matches my set since 2008. As even every example offered on eBay over the years described as Gilt upon closer inspection has been a Brass variety. I'm now heavily researching to try to plate match it to a previous sale to establish provenance. I miss the days when my library was smaller instead of spending 12 hours locating every sale... More to follow should I discover a match?

Recent research has shown that token HT-70 is probably the first cent-sized political type token which achieved wide circulation and it opened the door for a flood of others. The die was cut by Edward Hulseman in the fall of 1833 and the tokens struck by his button maker employer Robinson Jones & Company in Attleboro, Massachusetts. The tokens of this and later types (HT 69, 71 and 72) refer to Jackson who is shown with sword and purse. The adoption of the sword and purse continued for some time after the Whigs had taken the reins of government. The Albany Argus daily city gazette for October 1, 1842 published "The liberties of the country were alarmingly threatened under Mr. Van Buren's administration by a union of the purse with the sword in the same hands."

t6p6dg.jpg

Broadie - Congrats on a great find. I assume this is one of the two MS63 examples certified ... amazing that someone was willing to part with it, as this is such a tough example to acquire at all, much less in problem-free condition. The HT-70A pictured below (terrible pics, but the best I can do) is only the third problem-free example certified by NGC. I ripped it on eBay raw and only recently had it certified. This one is a typical 58/62, and although IMO is has MS detail, there is just a little too much gilt rubbed away to push it any higher. Still a great find though, especially for what I paid, and I'm happy to have it holding a place in my collection.

HT-70Aslab-o.jpgHT-70Aslab-r.jpg

Broadie - Congrats on a great find. I assume this is one of the two MS63 examples certified ... amazing that someone was willing to part with it, as this is such a tough example to acquire at all, much less in problem-free condition. The HT-70A pictured below (terrible pics, but the best I can do) is only the third problem-free example certified by NGC. I ripped it on eBay raw and only recently had it certified. This one is a typical 58/62, and although IMO is has MS detail, there is just a little too much gilt rubbed away to push it any higher. Still a great find though, especially for what I paid, and I'm happy to have it holding a place in my collection.

Thanks ExoJ as it is one of the two MS63's as for nearly a decade there was only 1 in NGC's pop which is the other MS63 housed in a non-pronged holder. I pretty much figured the AU58 having been graded in the last couple years was in your collection. I would have purchased it too had I seen it as for this variety there's a lot of gilt remaining. Lyman Low added the 171 in his supplement and considered it a R-2. Russell Rulau later bumped the rarity rating up to 3. Robert Schuman has it listed as R-2 with the Brass as R-3 and I'll have to email him to see if he flip-flopped the rarity on the two in error? Anyhow this isn't a series on which you just buy/read the book and your ready to rock & roll. You learn as you go as there's plenty of so called rarity 1-2 tokens which surface far less then 3-4's. The internet as a hunting tool should have made finding HTT's far easier... However instead has proven how tough some are even if considered common on the archaic rarity scales.

The internet as a hunting tool should have made finding HTT's far easier... However instead has proven how tough some are even if considered common on the archaic rarity scales.

I have not found a single HTT to add to my collection in over a year. Nothing at the ANA or FUN, I find nothing online. I don't know where you two are finding them, I seem not to be able to. The 58 is gorgeous EXO.

Best, HT

I don't know where you two are finding them, I seem not to be able to.

Funny ... I was going to say the same to Broadie! He always seems to find the needle in the haystack. lol

The 58 is gorgeous EXO.

Thanks HT! :)

I don't know where you two are finding them, I seem not to be able to.

Funny ... I was going to say the same to Broadie! He always seems to find the needle in the haystack. lol

Hey the only way to score any HTT's these days is by out hunting you guys! ;):D

1833 White House Hotel, Copper, 29mm Diameter, Plain Edge, Rulau-HT-M35, Rarity-8.

Here’s is the finest condition example known of a very rare token that was unknown to Russell Rulau until about 1999 at which time it was added to his Standard Catalog as an American issue. Since that time it has been shown to be of English origin from Hulme near Manchester. Alfred H. Satterlee in his 1862 book titled “An Arrangement of Medals and Tokens” called it very rare. Prior to the 1999 Bowers & Merena “Lindesmith” sale the only other auction appearance was the 1863 Bangs “Merwin" sale. The “Lindesmith” ex Cliff Edwards example is a smooth VF condition and is plated in Rulau’s book. In 2011 at Stacks/Bowers “Montgomery” sale another crossed auction also in VF condition. The “Montgomery” example along with being porous due to environmental damage was also stabbed nearly a 100 times but still did well. Little is known of the White House Hotel in Hulme which is now part of Greater Manchester. This token was issued in 1833 and from the design of the token with two crossed flintlocks with pigeon above it would appear that there was some sort of shooting activity on the hotel grounds and the purchase of such a ticket would give the holder access. There are several other pleasure gardens around Manchester and the idea was that people could escape the big city and partake such as walking around zoological or botanical gardens or perhaps shooting at released doves an early form of modern day clay pigeon shooting.

2eplc00.jpg

1837 Illustrious Predecessor, HT-34/Low-20

Just arrived today and this is the Only example of Lyman Low's Original 183 Hard Times Token varieties to ever be graded with a RED designation by NGC :)

357lqo6.jpg

256zj7k.jpg

1837 Illustrious Predecessor, HT-34/Low-20

Just arrived today and this is the Only example of Lyman Low's Original 183 Hard Times Token varieties to ever be graded with a RED designation by NGC :)

357lqo6.jpg

256zj7k.jpg

Very nice! One of my favorite hard times tokens.

BROADIE, very impressive luster on that token, but completely exemplary of why I don't really like RD copper. The spots drive me crazy. Give me an even chocolate brown token any day of the week. Just my preference...

Brandon