• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hard Times Tokens - Post Your Images

862 posts in this topic

Here's a raw example:

(I think my white balance was off. coin is NOT purple)

Nope that's a HT-21 which is missing the front sail and struck by a cracked obverse die... Far scarcer then a HT-22.

Here's a MS64BN HT-22 which is also FAR redder then the pics just doesn't photograph that way being trapped in a slab.

no7n1i.jpg

EXOJ this came from the same collection as your HT-33.

Thanks for the correction, Broadstruck. You should know, it came from you!

I just have to get my book on HTT's in the mail soon, so that I can look edgycated.

Wow 118,000 views of a thread on Hard Times Tokens. Who would have ever guessed it would go that far? (shrug)

I know this is kind of a useless post, but I am very surprised and thank everyone for tuning in. And folks, we welcome all to keep posting HTT's on this thread.

Best, HT

Thank you for creating this wonderful thread - I have learned a lot.

1835 Van Nostrand & Dwight, New York, 27mm Diameter, Reeded Edge, Copper, R-2

Struck by die-sinkers Bale & Smith in NYC on a thin planchet. Although the rarity is rated a more common R-2 by Russell Rulau he only has it priced up to EF condition with no pricing above in AU or UNC. Availability wise this store card is very underrated as a R-2 since examples in any condition do not surface often.

wqyq8x.jpg

Struck by die-sinkers Bale & Smith in NYC on a thin planchet. Although the rarity is rated a more common R-2 by Russell Rulau he only has it priced up to EF condition with no pricing above in AU or UNC. Availability wise this store card is very underrated as a R-2 since examples in any condition do not surface often.

wqyq8x.jpg

Well done Broadie! It turned out better than I expected. Congrats on a nice PU. (thumbs u

wqyq8x.jpg

There is a alot of red on that token Broadie, very nice!!

Best, HT

Good News! The long awaited new book on HTT's by QDB is going to be issued soon:

https://www.whitman.com/store/Inventory/Detail/A-Guide-Book-of-Hard-Times-Tokens+079484295X

This HT-33 came back graded MS62. I would have thought 63, it was a gift for helping a friend for lot viewing at FUN last year, so no worries.

Best, HT

HT-33_zpsb5e96520.jpg

Good News! The long awaited new book on HTT's by QDB is going to be issued soon:

https://www.whitman.com/store/Inventory/Detail/A-Guide-Book-of-Hard-Times-Tokens+079484295X

This HT-33 came back graded MS62. I would have thought 63, it was a gift for helping a friend for lot viewing at FUN last year, so no worries.

Best, HT

That HT-33 looks 63-worthy to me as I don't see any of the usual detractors that would normally bring this down to 61 or 62 status.

The new book looks exciting. I'm guessing Bob Schuman was the primary contributor. I have quite a few unplated and unlisted examples that I would have offered for plating given the opportunity ... maybe I missed the announcement. :( Still, it's exciting to see a new reference come out.

Anyone have any idea if/how the recent Whitman CWT/CWSC book changed the interest and pricing of CWTs?

Best, HT

HT-33_zpsb5e96520.jpg

Wow! That is a great looking piece. Surprised at the grade, but I'm just basing my opinion off the series that I do collect. It's a beautiful even Chocolate too! Love it.

Thanks guys, the roughness you see in the fields is the result if die rust, the only noticeable scratch is the small one just above the turtles tail on the obverse. I am thinking it was dinged for luster - the luster is silky - still a subtle cartwheel rotating under the light, but not booming or flashy, just silky smooth. HST, I have some HTT's in 64 holders that I would not grade as high as this one - hard to grade these I think.

Best, HT

Here is a fairly scarce HT-11, acquired from Broadstruck:

RunningBoarHT-11obv_zps1246c330.jpg

RunningBoarHT-11rev_zps770496af.jpg

the diagnostics are the position of the boar's snout and the crack from C to the swine's eye.Jackson's epaulettes are more prominent. Circulated but nice patina.

Well as of today ATS has only graded 28 HTT's... That's a mere box of 20 + 8 loosey goosey.

Just glancing I can state there's already some discrepancies in their population report.

I guess I've kept better track of examples seen in their holders more then they have hm

So I guess I'd like to formally apologize to NGC who also has population mistakes but that's after seeing thousands upon thousands of them.

Well as of today ATS has only graded 28 HTT's... That's a mere box of 20 + 8 loosey goosey.

Just glancing I can state there's already some discrepancies in their population report.

I guess I've kept better track of examples seen in their holders more then they have hm

So I guess I'd like to formally apologize to NGC who also has population mistakes but that's after seeing thousands upon thousands of them.

And to think, I have two of them, meaning I own 7% a market share of all HTT's in PCGS holders!!!! :roflmao:

Maybe they are just behind in updating the reports?

Best, HT

And to think, I have two of them, meaning I own 7% a market share of all HTT's in PCGS holders!!!! :roflmao:

Maybe they are just behind in updating the reports?

Best, HT

From what I've been told over the years the pops are entered during the certification process not at later point on a slow day.

I only own one. It is butt ugly and I overpaid, but it is my farthest off center HTT and I thought if I was going to own a PCGS-slabbed HTT it might as well be this one. It probably isn't even reflected in the pops though since it is an error. doh!:)

HT70offcenterPCGS-o.JPG

HT70offcenterPCGS-r.JPG

HT70offcenterPCGS-slab.JPG

I only own one. It is butt ugly and I overpaid, but it is my farthest off center HTT and I thought if I was going to own a PCGS-slabbed HTT it might as well be this one. It probably isn't even reflected in the pops though since it is an error. doh!:)

Neat-O but I had to resize it to see it as it was like this huge HTT manhole cover :P

I saw this raw at a show in 2012 at Fred Weinberg's table before PCGS graded HTT's.

I no longer own any PCGS graded HTT's so I have no current percentage of pop ownership.

zkpliu.jpg

Haha, thanks for resizing it as I had no idea how large the pics were! :facepalm::D

Your welcome :)

It's cool as even though it is so far off center it still circulated heavily.

No one plucked it out of circulation back then as there was no real mint error collector interest until the 1950's.

1840 Bergen Iron Works, Lakewood, New Jersey, HT-206 / Low-143, Copper, 21mm Diameter, Rarity-4.

All are seen weakly struck on the high points due to inept dies which had high relief designs at the exact points on both obverse & reverse too great for a thin planchet. Typically seen die crack on the obverse and most even in UNC are less eye appealing then stuff found stuck to your shoe in a dog park. This example ends about a 7 year search.

2d11lb9.jpg

For Strike & Surface reference below are the Gross/Dice/Hicks, & best John J. Ford Jr. had along with another recently sold at S/B which rounds out 3 of the 4 top pop MS63 at NGC.

2pqkqw0.jpg

1837 J.H. Dayton "Union Steam Washing" New York, Low-114/HT-249, Rarity-3

Ex: Fredrick Boyd, John Ford, Aspen Park collections.

Just acquired this and I'm extremely happy as this was one of the tokens which was reserved asap by another buyer when the Aspen Park collection was offered for sale individually back in 2009. I viewed it in hand but sadly had to give it back as it was already spoken for. I've never owned an example of this variety as in UNC I only know of 4 examples. This betters the Robert Vlack, & Virgil Brand / Dice Hicks examples as far as surface conditions and lack of handling marks. These are most always seen weakly struck in the centers and sometimes obliterating the left side peripheral -script of the reverse.

28jlhr6.jpg