• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

another recent purchase

26 posts in this topic

Nice coin. Are you going to try to cross it?

I was wondering the same thing and why would someone send a beauty like that to ICG in the first place hm

Great looking Buff though, no matter what slab it's in

I don't know how to grade Buffaloes, but this one needs to be submitted to PCGS. My experience is that ICG holdered coins, like this one, might grade slightly lower with PCGS --- OR, PCGS might find a reason to bag the coin. The PCGS graders definitely have their own grading standards, much different than any other grading service.

Heritage auctions will no longer accept ICG graded coins. Says a lot to me.

I don't know how to grade Buffaloes, but this one needs to be submitted to PCGS. My experience is that ICG holdered coins, like this one, might grade slightly lower with PCGS --- OR, PCGS might find a reason to bag the coin. The PCGS graders definitely have their own grading standards, much different than any other grading service.

Heritage auctions will no longer accept ICG graded coins. Says a lot to me.

What's wrong with the idea of his enjoying it in the holder it resides in, whether it would cross or not? And based on the odds, at least, it wouldn't cross, so why spend extra money on it?

My experience with ICG :

1795 FH dollar graded VF 30 by ICG crossed to PCGS at VF 20 . I paid $ 4000 for the coin and currently still own it. A nice coin that needed to be put in the right holder at the right grade.

1832 Bust Half Dollar Graded MS 62 by ICG – Rejected by PCGS – Altered Surface. I paid $715 for the coin, sold it at the same price for a wash.

1910 Quarter Eagle graded MS 62 by ICG – Crossed to PCGS at MS 62 . Paid $ 360 for the coin , sold it for $450 .

Summary – ICG is very liberal . If you look hard enough you can pick up some nice ICG coins at a good prices.

What did you pay for this Buffalo ?

Wow, all this talk about holders. I really like the coin, what does the holder have to do with the coin? I own coins in all kinds of holders. I have a coin collection not a holder collection.

Oh by the way, thanks Mark. I do enjoy the coin, and I'm quite sure if I showed it around at a show I would have no problem selling it, If thats was my desire.

A lot of people purchase ICG coins and cross them over to NGC or PCGS .

When you sell this coin it would bring better money if it was in a NGC or PCGS holder. Others cross them over so they can register in the NGC or PCGS registry

It looks like a very nice coin.

Others cross them over so they can register in the NGC or PCGS registry

Say what you like about the Registry as a marketing tool, but I have crossed Anacs coins to NGC specifically so I could add them to a Registry set.

Wow, all this talk about holders. I really like the coin, what does the holder have to do with the coin? I own coins in all kinds of holders. I have a coin collection not a holder collection.

Oh by the way, thanks Mark. I do enjoy the coin, and I'm quite sure if I showed it around at a show I would have no problem selling it, If thats was my desire.

I like the coin a lot and have found numerous good deals in ICG holders, albeit I've also seen terrible coins in their holders, and have gotten severely hosed on one bust-half in an ICG holder. Gee, can't that be said of all the grading services :) ?

My quick commentary on the ICG holder has nothing to do with grade, but rather with the material composition. I find their holders scuff rapidly and cause the most difficulty in imaging coins of all the TPGs.

Back to the coin, she's a beauty, and I am :mad: jealous because I have been coveting just such a coin for about a decade now. Yours looks like its relatively free from major spotting, and just about pristine, with no carbon spots. Fabulous!

Here is one I should have picked up last year but stupidly didn't. I happen to like the satin proofs more than the brilliant proofs in general, but would gladly take a nice example of either.