• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IT'S ABOUT TIME!

38 posts in this topic

I've been searching for the 1981 ANA Convention Set for more than 5 years. When I was alerted to this one on eBay, there was no way that I was going to take a chance losing it to some sniper.

After the initial bidding took it to $21.99, it remained with no activity until an hour or so before the end of the auction when it jumped to $32.99. Since I'm not using Bidnapper any more, I spent the remaining 30 minutes playing Freecell to pass the time. I was determined that I would not wait another 5+ years for a chance at another one, so with 7 seconds remaining, I hit the "Commit" button for my bid of $250, and I won it for $52.10. Finally!

Chris

100840.jpg.36e3a60168eebcc0f57929adf93163ad.jpg

Congrats! How many of these sets were made? I know you've been looking for one for a long time. Does this mean your set is complete?

Congrats again!

Yes, I now have all of the 3-medal sets. They were produced from 1969-1982.

Here are the mintages for each year:

1969 Philadelphia - 450 (estimate)

1970 St. Louis - 450

1971 Washington, DC - 450

1972 New Orleans - 400

1973 Boston - 600

1974 Bal Harbor, FL - 425

1975 Los Angeles - 790

1976 New York - 575

1977 Atlanta - 710

1978 Houston - 500

1979 St. Louis - 500

1980 Cincinnati - 350

1981 New Orleans - 350

1982 Boston - 350

Now, the next order of business is to decide which NGC holder I would like for them. I think the multi-holder would be too big. Maybe one of the oversized holders that they introduced a couple of years ago would look nice. I'll have to check.

Chris

Looks counterfeit.

:devil:

Looks counterfeit.

Yea, I just heard that the Chinese sent a boatload over them over here in faux boxes. :insane:

Seriously though I know how hard this type of stuff is to find. The trouble is many collectors just buy them and hang on to them, and many dealers don't bother to stock them because the demand is not huge.

Congrats, Chris!

I kinda know the feeling. I waited a number of years before finding a circulated Grant commem for my set, which I really wanted after reading his memoirs. I was absolutely stoked when I found one.

Now I have two. ;)

Congrats!

Now on to the next quest.

Well, I have been looking for the 1900 International Exposition 64mm medal in silver for several years, too. I have three of the bronze because it is such a pretty medal. Jules Clement Chaplain outdid himself on this one!

Chris

100855.jpg.fe825285ddc37ba848ed2eef626e300d.jpg

100856.jpg.70e80dbfefb5924722999628e6c3fe86.jpg

Good job, Chris! These sets are mighty tough to find and to get each of them is a bear of a task. (thumbs u

Yep, the '81 & '82 were the hardest to find! With a low mintage of only 350 each, and the fact that these were the only two sets in a presentation case (the rest were in Capital holders), I was beginning to wonder if I would ever complete this short set.

Chris

Dang, I was afraid $51.10 wouldn't take it :( .

So that's where the 10c came from!

Chris

Finally I don't have to hear you wine about not finding the set each time I go to a show with you...I should send the seller another $50 just for that lol

Man that had to have been a grind to complete. Major congrat's! Any favorites amongst the years? MJ

Man that had to have been a grind to complete. Major congrat's! Any favorites amongst the years? MJ

Yes, the 1969 set is my favorite because the obverse is a restrike of Augustin Dupre's 1783 Libertas Americana . It made me want to collect the entire 3-medal series.

Chris

100868.jpg.e13fc9f7ff6e4844fe916bf24af6ae25.jpg

Finally I don't have to hear you wine about not finding the set each time I go to a show with you...I should send the seller another $50 just for that lol

As a matter of fact, the seller just sent me a brief note saying that he felt I paid too much, so just send the $50 to me.

Did you find anything interesting at FUN?

Congrats!

Well, I have been looking for the 1900 International Exposition 64mm medal in silver for several years, too. I have three of the bronze because it is such a pretty medal. Jules Clement Chaplain outdid himself on this one!

Chris

Ok, it is totaly not fair that you have 3 of those and I don't have one. You should sell one to me lol

Congrats on finishing your set of the ANA medals. I think they would look very tidy in multi holders of some kind. (thumbs u

WoW! Finally. That must be a big jolt to the numismatic adrenalin rush! Congrats, Chris! I'm just hurt that you didn't call me with the news. :sorry: ....NOT! :grin:

Congrats!

Chris

Ok, it is totaly not fair that you have 3 of those and I don't have one. You should sell one to me

I'm saving the others in case I need them as trade bait for the silver version.

I'll tell you what I can do though. I've got an old VW Bug that I'll sell you for $100 if you pay the shipping. It needs a paint job, and there is a problem in the fuel line and/or gas tank but it's fine mechanically and it has a good set of wheels. If you're interested I'll post photos.

Chris

lol I was just joking about selling me one of the medals but if you have a bug for sale I am all ears! :D

Here are some photos.

100880.jpg.29f5a34e12b5a2bc6395c66cc65fc833.jpg

100881.jpg.a220de56feaa8be5ca7499ed928af9c9.jpg

100882.jpg.2216ac3f0b7433bbdcec60b9d6241ad2.jpg

100883.jpg.39794dd67312d5428595ab2dfef38257.jpg