• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I purchased my first coin today!

20 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone:

I have been a lurker for some time now with an occasional post. I have always been fascinated with old coins. I am 45 years old, and a self-employed logging contractor by trade. I am in hopes of semi-retiring in about 3 years, where my wife and I will spend winters in Florida on our boat, and summers in our house in northern Vt. I will probably continue to log in the summer month to help fund my collecting habits. In the winter, I hope to do metal detecting and scuba diving. Vero Beach seems like a nice place to retire seems it's called the treasure coast. It would be cool to find something really neat diving or on the beach.

So, this is the coin I purchased. I need to practice taking pictures. This coin is actually more silver color except for the obvious toning at the top on the front and the right side on the back. I love it, and already have found another that I am considering purchasing. I hope to learn a lot from all of you guys great knowledge of the hobby.

Mike

1886Morgandollar001.jpg

1886Morgandollar002.jpg

Oh brother another comic guy jumping ship....stay off my turf buddy lol

Actually Morgans are what I actively collect along with countless others....what drew you to that series? Can't go wrong with a graded gem 65 :headbang:

Welcome !!

That's a great looking Morgan. I can see how you couldn't resist.

Most of us enjoy many areas of the collecting arena. Comics, coins, watches, etc.....

I'm glad you finally followed your urge.

Enjoy the hobby !

Paul

Hi, Mike! Welcome to the neighborhood.

Don't mind Shane. He never was able to get rid of his warped sense of humor from OD'ing on comics, but he's a good guy and great friend.

If you didn't already know, there is a permanent thread pinned to the top of "Coins" titled What You Need To Know . There is a wealth of information available for both beginner and veteran collectors.

Your location in Florida will be great for the treasure hunting. You may recall several years ago when Hurricane Frances approached, it came to a dead stop between Florida and the Bahamas and just battered the coast. That's when a guy with his metal detector found about $200,000 in Spanish silver that had been buried for centuries under a sand dune that had partially washed away.

Of course, there is another form of treasure hunting that you will be able to enjoy, here, in Florida.........coin shows! There are dozens of them scattered across the state with anywhere from 40-100 dealers attending, and many will be an easy 3-hour or less drive from your location in Vero Beach. One of the biggest shows in the country is the FUN Show which will be held in Tampa in January, 2011. This is one you don't want to miss. It's been going strong since 1955 and now has 800-1000 dealers attending from all over the country. If you plan on attending, you'll also want to make sure you take advantage of NGC's generosity and go to their luncheon.

Chris

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I chose NGC graded Morgans mostly because they seemed somewhat affordable until I have more knowledge of the hobby. I will certainly check out the "what you need to know" thread, and try to learn all I can from posts in this forum.

Mike

Mike, welcome to our forums and a nice looking Morgan there you purchased. You will find that the folks on these forums are the best, very professional, personable, willing to assist a fellow collector or someone just beginning. I think you will find this a very honest and open forum to participate in. Do not ever hesitate to ask anything on here, you will find that we are all here to learn and grow within our hobby

Welcome again

Rey

Think you did well there mate .. still think you took the easy option with a Morgan .. :) .. cherrypicking is the next step !

Morgan dollars are uber-popular in the hobby. They are relatively affordatoble, old, big, cool and silver and this equates to great liquidity.

I had a chance to check out many different Morgans this afternoon. I think i'm going to shoot for MS65 coins. I am sure they're rare coins that I will have to settle for a lower grade but, the 65 gem coin seems to have many affordable dates. I am going to be picky about the coin I choose. To be honest, I really like the coins that are not heavily toned (except for maybe rainbow toning or some light toning around the edges).

Wow...we have our own "Ax Men" right here on the coin forum...welcome, can you explain your handle, i.e; comicdonna?

I'm not a Morgan man but that is a very nice start, keep them in top tier plastic for now and you will do well.

I love the smell of 2 cycle motor oil in the morning.

My wifes name is Donna. When I first joined ebay in 2002, my wife was participating as well. comicdonna seemed a good choice for a user id. She took interest in the western comics with horses on the cover. Her interest deteriorated rapidly. I believe me spending $60,000 or so on comics might have turned her off some. :grin: