• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post a pic of your entire collection

40 posts in this topic

As I'm sure you all know, I just finished my Franklin half dollar collection (Registry linked in my sig line). The final coin arrived in the mail this morning, so I spent much of my day just looking back over the entire collection. I remember purchasing each and every coin, I remember the shows, the adventures, learning about them. I remember many of the articles that I wrote about each of the pieces (of which most are in my Registry set, albeit cut down due to space limitations). I remember many of the pieces these coins upgraded, I remember what circumstances in life I was going through when I bought them. This collection started while I was in college, has been with me through 6 moves, 3 states, 2 jobs, and a host of other ups and downs in life. Looking back, I can remember the comfort and solace they provided me, and the occasions that some of them celebrate.

I am incredibly proud of my set, so I would like to now take the opportunity to let you see it in its entirety, all together. The first shot is just the core collection - the 35 required to complete the set. The second shot includes all the other coins that I have added to the set along the way - toners, varieties, errors, and up in the top left corner, an incredibly rare prooflike. So, without further ado, I give you... The Poe Collection of Franklin Half Dollars.

91393.jpg.002360dcb05da63f3a93dfeb5509d349.jpg

91394.jpg.722f8f2f8c2f4c2a7090717813f8bfe5.jpg

Wonderful to see them all at once, Jason, but if you think I'm going to lug everything out of the vault, you're out of your mind. Besides, I don't think they make a wide angle lens that can handle the job..................

150+ slabbed Morgans

300 raw Morgans

Complete Dansco - MS Franklins

Complete Dansco - MS & PF Kennedys

Complete Dansco - MS & PF Ikes

500+ Medals - U.S. & Foreign

And, that is just the primary collections!

Chris

Very nice collection there Jason,

I love how they are all one type slab (NGC) instead of mixed. IDK really why I know everyone says it is the coin not the slab but to me the set just looks better when it is in the same slabs. Almost like they just all match.

Beginning around 1874 all the coinage which had gone into hiding and which had left the country during the civil War began returning. (The tremendous output of the western silver mines was causing a rapid drop in the value of silver resulting in the coins now being worth more as money in the US than they were as bullion outside the country.) This huge influx of coinage clogged the channels of commerce and pretty much eliminated the need for the mint to produce more small coins.

Mintages

Cents

1873 11.6 million

1874 14 million

1875 13 million

1876 8 million

1877 852,000

1878 6 million

1879 16 million

three cent

1873 1.2 million

1874 790,000

1875 228,000

1876 162,000

1877 proofs only

1878 proofs only

1879 38,000

five cent

1873 4.5 million

1874 3.5 million

1875 2 million

1876 2.5 million

1877 proofs only

1878 proofs only

1879 26,000

Mintages of the larger coins do not show these drops, probably because under the terms of the Act of 1873 the public could no longer have their silver coined at the mint (except into trade dollar) and all the silver coinage was done on the governments account. rather than buy silver in the market place they probably just melted and recoined the surplus coinage flowing into the Treasury. Especially after 1877 when the government was being forced to buy huge amounts of silver they didn't want to make into silver dollars. The last thing they would want to do would be to buy even more silver to produce the smaller silver. (also once they began redeeming the trade dollars that silver went either into stockpile or into more subsidiary coinage.)

That is quite a collecton of Franklin half dollars! (thumbs u

By last count my political items exceeded 600 pieces, and my coin collection is larger if you include all the coins in Proof sets and the like. I think I'd need a step latter and wide angle lens to shot them all in one picture.

You can't really see the coins because the photo is shrunk to fit the screen but I guess if you guys want to look at the individual coins you could always just click my registry set.

TheAtlanticCitySetofJeffersonNic-2.jpg

Nice nice presentation. The pic is really good :) on my 24 inch screen the coins look life size :D

I agree! The point of a picture like this isn't really to see all the details, its more to get an overall idea of your collection on a macro scale. (It also doesn't have to be your entire collection, just a series your most proud of, or your core collection).

Great collection Paul!

My collection isn't even located in one place, much less being able to photograph it in one frame! Still a nice idea though!

Toyo! Holy wow! Oh my gosh. I am left literally speechless, and my mouth is still hanging open. That is an incredibly beautiful set, wow.

Thank you. In reality, most of them are too small to view with naked eyes, though :/

Toyo! Holy wow! Oh my gosh. I am left literally speechless, and my mouth is still hanging open. That is an incredibly beautiful set, wow.

:applause:(worship) (worship) AWESOME SET!! (worship) (worship) :applause:

PS I love that 1940-S Dime!!

Great set!! I'm kind of liking the 1916 DDO Buffalo.

Jaime, I really like the look of your toned Roosie set.

Bobby, as usual....... phenomenal!! doh!

A "tip of the hat" to all of you who have displayed your collections. Absolutely the best display of really nice coins I have ever seen. I can tell I have a long, long way to go (and lots of dollars to spend) to even come close to these outstanding collections - and that is OK.. Thanks to all for sharing.