• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first Seated Liberty Coin

41 posts in this topic

Of course, its a half dollar. I saw this on Teletrade the other evening, and I loved the look of it. In the process of trying to decide which series to focus on next, I am going to be branching out a bit, maybe buy one or two of a couple different series to see how I like them.

I probably paid a little bit more than I should have for this, but guess the grade and tell me what I should have paid. I can't wait to see it in hand.

91057.jpg.6632006046fb8358a91e8f5033561989.jpg

It has the details of at least an EF40 and perhaps an EF45 if the surfaces are quite nice and problem-free in-hand. This is a great series, but be aware that many of these coins are very tough and you will spend decades building the set.

I'll guess XF40 but I have no idea what you should have paid. As I recall these go for a little more than bust halves which always surprised me. I'll guess $345 but that's an off-the-cuff guess and not a suggestion on what you should have paid. I don't even own a seated half lol

Nice looking coin, Jason! :applause: Congrats on moving on a bit from Ben. Have fun in collecting whatever new series eventually appeals to you the most.

Buying decision based only on pictures:

XF 40 - $80

XF 45 - $ 100

I am using the Heritage wholesale price guides.

Yours looks like an XF 45 and a nice looking one to boot. My only concern would be those marks on the right obverse - however they are probably acceptable for the grade.

Seated coins are nice , my favorite would be the arrows and rays half .

seperation of top of dress neckline and her chest on obverse..full leaf veins, feathers on arrows and shaft of arrow shows at the arrowheads on reverse..XF40 maybe 45 with some luster..

I would say at least XF-40 with a price range of $100-$105, they go up rather quickly in the AU range.

Nice original surfaces, 1877 is a very popular year.

edit: add $10-$15 for plastic.

From the photos it looks to be somewhere between XF-45 and AU-50. Either way it's a beautiful coin with an above average strike. I really like it!

The 1876 and 1877 are the "common" dates of this series each with a mintage of over 8 million. Though I doubt very few still exist in this condition.

I think it's worth between $125 - $150.

PS - The key to this series is not a Carson City coin, but the 1878-S. Even in G-4 condition it's as much as a nice used German car.

In MS-65 it's a new Ferrari!

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I love Seated Liberty Halves. I bought my first one more than 30 years for a type set, and I got hooked. I stopped work on my type set and began assembling a complete set of SL Halves in XF-AU. It was nearly complete, though my 78-S was only G-VG, when I finally threw in the towel. Those were very nice coins, and they all found good homes.

Thanks for the compliments, guys. This one is graded EF-45, and I paid $130 for it (which sounds like it wasn't a bad price afterall).

Right now, I got this for type, but it very well may be that I decide to continue the series. Yes, TomB, I'm aware that many of these can be very challenging, which is why I hesitate to launch into the series.

Just got this coin this morning, and I am delighted with it. I'm still not sure if I'm a big fan of the design, its kind of plain and boring - but the coin itself is quite attractive. In this case, Teletrade's images were quite good, and very close to the actual coin.

Below are my images:

15385491O.jpg

15385491R.jpg

... I'm still not sure if I'm a big fan of the design, its kind of plain and boring...

This from a man who collects Franklins?! :baiting:

... I'm still not sure if I'm a big fan of the design, its kind of plain and boring...

Ok that was funny :/

Jason as you know there are many varieties in this series. Get a Half with Rays on the reverse.

Ok that was funny :/

Jason as you know there are many varieties in this series. Get a Half with Rays on the reverse.

I like the look of your coin.