• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC Registry

17 posts in this topic

There is much talk of the difference in price for NGC graded vs. PCGS coins mostly because PCGS allows only their coins in their registry. Why doesnt NGC just allow their coins in their registry? i can`t see how this would be a bad thing? i would support this, plus prices would start to level out! and overall, i like the uniformity of the slabs per set, opposed to mismatched.

I can`t see how this would be a bad thing? The registry is for collectors to catalog their coins. I think it would be bad if NGC kicked PCGS out of the registry.

I like the uniformity of the slabs per set, opposed to mismatched. If that is what you like build your sets that way!!

I like NGC the way it is!! I don't think the price has anything to do with PCGS only allowing their coins in their registry.

I would never have ever of started an NGC registry set if that was their policy. Many others feel the same and avoid the PCGS registry because of its inherent elitism.

Before the TPG-Mashup a couple of years ago, many were pushing for NGC to accept ANACS into the registry also. Now, not so much.

NGC allows PCGS because they are considered to be equals, and there is respect for both companies. PCGS considers themselves to be better than NGC, hence the elitist view.

I believe the exclusivity of the PCGS registry only helps to promote higher prices for the most modern coinage in the highest grades. The rest of the divide between the two companies as per price is due to the proprietary grading standards of each company and has little, if anything, due to the registry.

For the Bust series coinage, PCGS most definitely grades more conservatively than NGC. I doubt if it would make any real difference in PCGS vs, NGC pricing differential if PCGS allowed NGC coins into the PCGS registry sets. I certainly think it would be a bad idea on PCGS's part.

Anyone doubting the grading standards differences between the two companies only needs to submit a batch of NGC Busties to PCGS for crossover. Good luck!

does anyone know of a registry for ungraded coins? sort of an online inventory of sorts?

I've seen people make their own on a photo hosting website.

I hate it when a collector joins the NGC Registry and obscures their set. I might be mistaken but I think many are all PCGS coins?

I hate it when a collector joins the NGC Registry and obscures their set. I might be mistaken but I think many are all PCGS coins?

I don't know what good it would do to obscure the set if they are concerned about having an all PCGS collection. NGC personnel can certainly look inside of these obscured sets, can't they?

I think that it is unfair to obscure sets that competing for the prizes. The other contestants don’t have any way of knowing what is in the set. If every set were obscured the whole registry would be totally useless. So far I’m concerned ALL of the sets that have no pictures and no write-ups are next to useless. Obscured sets are totally useless.

Here's an interesting point. I just passed an obsured set in the 1795 to 1933 gold type set registry that is only 24% complete. My collection is 93% complete. The lowest grade coins in my set are an 1804 quarter eagle in AU-50 and an 1808 quarter eagle in AU-50. I'd like to know what the guy with only 24% of the coins has that gives him so many points. But that information is not public.

I agree that anyone that chooses to have their set obscured has no business having their set included in a registry. It's like having a 100 yard dash where you have no idea what time you have to beat. If these people are so worried about their security then my advice is to stay away.

I don't know what good it would do to obscure the set if they are concerned about having an all PCGS collection. NGC personnel can certainly look inside of these obscured sets, can't they?

I think that it is unfair to obscure sets that competing for the prizes. The other contestants don’t have any way of knowing what is in the set. If every set were obscured the whole registry would be totally useless. So far I’m concerned ALL of the sets that have no pictures and no write-ups are next to useless. Obscured sets are totally useless.

Here's an interesting point. I just passed an obsured set in the 1795 to 1933 gold type set registry that is only 24% complete. My collection is 93% complete. The lowest grade coins in my set are an 1804 quarter eagle in AU-50 and an 1808 quarter eagle in AU-50. I'd like to know what the guy with only 24% of the coins has that gives him so many points. But that information is not public.

I agree, obscured sets should not be eligible for rankings, but I have no problem with them being listed in order by points. Meaning if the top ranked set was 50,000 points and the second ranked set was 45,000, an new obscured set with 48,000 would be listed between 1st and 2nd but would not receive a ranking and would not be eligible for any awards.

I really can't stand sets without photos either. I work very diligently to build an eye appealing high grade set and have no idea what the other people's coins in their sets look like. It can be very frustrating. Only 3 collectors (including myself) in the top ten of the Jefferson Nickel series have photos of their coins. Descriptions are nice, but if there is a quality photo, I think descriptions are less important.

I would like to see all Registry sets be required to show pictures of all coins in the set. How could anyone find a Registry set interesting without seeing pictures?

I agree that a registry without pics is pretty useless. I try to include pics on all my coins. Sometimes when I'm just looking at the forums and no topics are going on, I'll click the links just to look at someones nice coins.

I also like pictures in the registry. The only reason I don't have all of the pictures is because I thought the ones I was taking sucked. I got a new camera and I am in the process of making my sets look better. My sets will be looking a lot better when it come time for this years awards. ;)

I would also like if NGC had a system like PCGS were you can add coins to your inventory and not have them in a set.