• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Well I'm back folks...

33 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I haven't posted here lately for a long time.

Mainly now I'm trying to turn my life around. I was addicted to an online game since I was 13, back in 2001. Up to this point, at my worse I would play non stop for over 20 hours+, sometimes 3 days straight with no sleep. I finally decided to sell my account and quit cold turkey. (I should get anywhere from 300-500 dollars for my account). It was a hard thing to do, but when a friend in the game upset me deeply it was the final straw; as well as realizing I couldn't do this game for another 20 years and do nothing with my life. For me there was no moderation, I couldn't moderate myself, it was all or nothing. The main reason I didn't post here or on other coins forums was because I was so addicted to the game. It was all I thought about, dreamed about, etc.

Since quitting, I feel I have alot of time on my hands. I decided to get some job training to start a career. Currently I'm training for about 3 months on excel, microsoft word and powerpoint for a clerical type career. I've finished word, and Now I'm on excel. For my project I need to list each of my coins and their value, then I'm going to tally it all up. I want to do this myself, not be too dependent on others to do the work for me so but I do need help with one thing.

I have until next week to combile it. I am an ANA member, COINage magazine subscriber and I am also a subscriber of The Numismatist (from the ANA) as well as Numismatic News. I checked Numismedia here on NGC as well as the price guide in Numismatic News, but found out that the price guide is incomplete; There is no saint gaudens price guide in there. I have an NGC MS64 1908 no motto saint gaudens, I paid about $760 when I bought it. I also have a bunch of other coins I need to inventory in excel to get organized.

After thinking about it for awhile, I've come to the conculsion that the greysheet would be the best option to find out the value of the coins if I were to sell them. (I don't plan to, but I want a true value rather than an inflated Coin Values magazine value)

Also I wanted to say now I will post here more consistently, I'm trying to get back into my 2 hobbies, coin magic and coin collecting. I want to send major thanks to everyone here for the support, as well as EZ_E for the half dollars, and mark feld for the classic head (I still have it and love it, thanks much)

My main question is, what would be the best route to inventory the correct prices for my coins? I have numismatic gold, gold bullion, silver bullion and various other foreign pretty much worthless coins I don't know how to value. The thing is I don't have the greysheet, I don't subscribe to it. I was curious what my main course of action should be and appreciate all the support.

Would you mind sharing the name of the online game that nearly destroyed your life? I suspect what it is, but would appreciate it if you would name it. Is it "warcraft"?

I have some friends at work that are absolutely addicted to this certain online game and it absorbs their life off-duty. We give them a hard time about being addicted and the lack of a social life, but I think it is a potentially harmful pursuit because of the possible total immersion and the game becoming their "life".

Recently, my teenage son purchased this game because his older brother discovered it while stationed at Fort Benning and played online together. I am steadfast against my teenager playing the game because of what I have seen at work. Any suggestions you can give I will pass on to his mother to convince her, as he is not allowed to play it when he is at my house, but can play it at her house.

Congrats on taking control; self-discipline is a admirable trait.

Would you mind sharing the name of the online game that nearly destroyed your life? I suspect what it is, but would appreciate it if you would name it. Is it "warcraft"?

I have some friends at work that are absolutely addicted to this certain online game and it absorbs their life off-duty. We give them a hard time about being addicted and the lack of a social life, but I think it is a potentially harmful pursuit because of the possible total immersion and the game becoming their "life".

Recently, my teenage son purchased this game because his older brother discovered it while stationed at Fort Benning and played online together. I am steadfast against my teenager playing the game because of what I have seen at work. Any suggestions you can give I will pass on to his mother to convince her, as he is not allowed to play it when he is at my house, but can play it at her house.

I tried WOW, but was never interested in it, it bored me. I guess becaues I never got into it.

The game I got addicted to was called Gemstone III (Now gemstone IV), its a text based MUD game. Basically all text, it was the first game I tried (MMORPG) and probably because of that is why I got addicted.

I wish I knew what to offer for advice, but basically I lost everything. I gained a ton of weight (over 100 lbs) from playing it, all I wanted was to play the game, nothing else. It ruined my life completely, I was miserable. At one point my mom offered me 100$ to quit, and I refused. I'm glad its finally behind it, but I feel the addiction is going to haunt me for a long time. I Try to ignore it.

Some people can play in moderation, I can't. And with alot of these massive games, alot of people can't play in moderation. There just isn't enough time. It was all or nothing for me. My good friend in the game was telling me to quit for a long time, not because he wanted me to but for my lifes sake.

On topic, I went to heritage and looked through the archives. Is there any way to 'average' the prices? Also is there a way to search and find the most recent sales ending? I did a quick search on "1834 quarter eagle" and found alot of results, but most were from years back.

I knew a guy at work that is addicted to online games. He asked to go to weekend shift so he could have more time I think tp play the games. He has also gained lots of weight just like Kevin did.

I have to much energy to sit behind the computer for any length of time. I have never liked video games and the only computer game I pIay is solitaire. I don't even have cable tv because I can only sit and watch tv for a few hours before I get bored and need to do something else. Football is my favorite and I have to tape the games so I can watch it faster.

Also I wanted to say now I will post here more consistently, I'm trying to get back into my 2 hobbies, coin magic and coin collecting

Your ol' buddy Thing needs to introduce you to a couple of female acquaintances of his that owe him a favor. Welcome back.

Hi everyone, I haven't posted here lately for a long time.

Mainly now I'm trying to turn my life around. I was addicted to an online game since I was 13, back in 2001. Up to this point, at my worse I would play non stop for over 20 hours+, sometimes 3 days straight with no sleep. I finally decided to sell my account and quit cold turkey. (I should get anywhere from 300-500 dollars for my account). It was a hard thing to do, but when a friend in the game upset me deeply it was the final straw; as well as realizing I couldn't do this game for another 20 years and do nothing with my life. For me there was no moderation, I couldn't moderate myself, it was all or nothing. The main reason I didn't post here or on other coins forums was because I was so addicted to the game. It was all I thought about, dreamed about, etc.

Since quitting, I feel I have alot of time on my hands. I decided to get some job training to start a career. Currently I'm training for about 3 months on excel, microsoft word and powerpoint for a clerical type career. I've finished word, and Now I'm on excel. For my project I need to list each of my coins and their value, then I'm going to tally it all up. I want to do this myself, not be too dependent on others to do the work for me so but I do need help with one thing.

I have until next week to combile it. I am an ANA member, COINage magazine subscriber and I am also a subscriber of The Numismatist (from the ANA) as well as Numismatic News. I checked Numismedia here on NGC as well as the price guide in Numismatic News, but found out that the price guide is incomplete; There is no saint gaudens price guide in there. I have an NGC MS64 1908 no motto saint gaudens, I paid about $760 when I bought it. I also have a bunch of other coins I need to inventory in excel to get organized.

After thinking about it for awhile, I've come to the conculsion that the greysheet would be the best option to find out the value of the coins if I were to sell them. (I don't plan to, but I want a true value rather than an inflated Coin Values magazine value)

Also I wanted to say now I will post here more consistently, I'm trying to get back into my 2 hobbies, coin magic and coin collecting. I want to send major thanks to everyone here for the support, as well as EZ_E for the half dollars, and mark feld for the classic head (I still have it and love it, thanks much)

My main question is, what would be the best route to inventory the correct prices for my coins? I have numismatic gold, gold bullion, silver bullion and various other foreign pretty much worthless coins I don't know how to value. The thing is I don't have the greysheet, I don't subscribe to it. I was curious what my main course of action should be and appreciate all the support.

This actually happens quite a bit. I have been a gamer for well over 25+ years. Computers were a God's gift to me. I used to burn thru quarters at the arcade. $1000's if not $10's of thousands on games in that period of time. I have spent 10,000 plus on computer hardware etc. I used to have Intellivoice, Sega, Nintendo etc. I used to play Atari at a pal of mines house. I actually still game routinely. It helped my Eye hand Coordination on a grand scale. I started a gaming clan that is about 8 years old now and still kicking. I didn't gain any weight because I do limit myself. However, I have lost a lot of friends from online games. People wreck their life by getting sucked in. WOW and LOTR has stripped me of a couple friends. Its sad that someone can become so consumed that when a friend says "Hey man everytime I call your to busy playing online" they ditch the friend and keep playing.

It sounds like your moving in the right direction. I hope it all works out. My marriage has been strained in the past with gaming. Thats one reason I learned to limit myself. I have made a lot of really good friends threw gaming.

I wish I knew what to offer for advice, but basically I lost everything. I gained a ton of weight (over 100 lbs) from playing it, all I wanted was to play the game, nothing else. It ruined my life completely, I was miserable. At one point my mom offered me 100$ to quit, and I refused. I'm glad its finally behind it, but I feel the addiction is going to haunt me for a long time. I Try to ignore it.

Some people can play in moderation, I can't. And with alot of these massive games, alot of people can't play in moderation. There just isn't enough time. It was all or nothing for me. My good friend in the game was telling me to quit for a long time, not because he wanted me to but for my lifes sake.

The problem isn't the online game, but rather that you have an addictive personality. It isn't something to be ashamed of or to see as a disadvantage. Rather, see it for what it is: a challenge in your life.

I worked with someone with a remarkably similar situation - only he ballooned up to 450 pounds. So, it could be worse! Unfortunately for this gentleman, he did not kick his habit. Instead, his excess weight caused him to be tired all the time, and combined with late nights (gaming, of course), he would be too worn out during the day, and would snooze off during work. So, he was caught too many times sleeping the job and was fired.

You have taken the first and biggest step, which is to realize you have a challenge. Glad you are on the road to taking it head on!

gaming clan

lol

No offense or anything, but that sounds like something a group of weenies would call themselves in order to sound tough.

:roflmao:

welcome back

good to see you are trying to get your life back on track

the job training sounds like the best thing to do

CONGRATS!! (thumbs u :applause: (thumbs u

Kevin,

Glad to have you back and glad you got away from the gaming addition (I am too old for these games and simply remember playing space invaders and missile command for a quarter a play, and that was easy to get away from since my mom would take me home!). As for your pricing issue, since you are learning excel, why don't you input the historical prices and calculate the average in the spreadsheet? Certainly you could get more complicated with a pivot table, but at the bare minumum, having a separate tab listing the dates and prices for each coin would allow you to take the average and also chart pricing over time. Ultimately the way I would go is to input all the dates and prices and use the last dated sale as the current price, but that's just my standard methodology after nearly two decades on Wall Street!

Kevin,

Glad to have you back and glad you got away from the gaming addition (I am too old for these games and simply remember playing space invaders and missile command for a quarter a play, and that was easy to get away from since my mom would take me home!). As for your pricing issue, since you are learning excel, why don't you input the historical prices and calculate the average in the spreadsheet? Certainly you could get more complicated with a pivot table, but at the bare minumum, having a separate tab listing the dates and prices for each coin would allow you to take the average and also chart pricing over time. Ultimately the way I would go is to input all the dates and prices and use the last dated sale as the current price, but that's just my standard methodology after nearly two decades on Wall Street!

That sounds like a good idea, I may have to do that. I JUST started excel yesterday, and it seems pretty complex so I'm a bit overwhelmed. Not sure I know how to do that yet, but I'll ask the teacher about it.

I've compiled the list of all my collection, numismatic gold, gold bullion, silver and silver bullion as well as a few other oddities. I'm going to post it here with prices, hopefully someone can tell me if they seem on par.

After that I'm going to compile it on a 'master list' to use as excel with the final prices. I did my research and am pretty solid on most of the prices (at least I think) but would like a second opinion for the true value (what they would sell for)

Hey, nice to see you back, Kevin. Word of advice, with your compulsive personality, don't do crack! lol

I used to love Defenders, Stargate, Ms. Pacman and Galaga when I was 14. Haven't seen Stargate in 25 years but I used to rock on it. Once you got good then a quarter would go a long ways. I used to play Nintendo Mario Brothers 3 in the early '90's. That was fun. I got a Playstation 2 with a couple of games but never got into it. So I just used it as a DVD player until it broke.

Sorry for the delay in getting you the two half dollars but we were in the middle of a terrible icestorm at the time. Now, we're under a thunderstorm and tornado watch tonight. My St. Bernard is on the bed 'cause he's afraid of the thunder.

Yeah, getting accurate prices can be tough, especially with the down trend happening now. But, your quarter eagle classic head I'm sure has held its own. It is a fine coin that I wouldn't mind having in my collection. You're most definitely ahead on the double eagle. I read recently that MS62 Saints were selling for $600 over spot, so your 64 would probably bring at least $1800 but that is just a guess.

And be careful with that extra weight. It's easy to put on but very tough to take off. I was chubby in the sixth grade but 3 years of football burned that off. I was chatting with Winstonware today and he's taken up tennis for the cardio. You should give that a whirl, maybe. And, if you want to keep your coins, then avoid the chicks. haha

Good luck with the courses and stay focused. You know that you have friends and support on these boards so stick around. (thumbs u

Alright, here's all the coins worth something ranging from about 15 and up.

I've put a rough estimate on the prices here gathered from a few different sources. Hopefully someone can look it through and let me know if they are accurate, I may be wrong on a few. From there it will go into a final list which then will be put in excel.

GOLD NUMISMATIC

1. NGC MS64 $20 double eagle 1908 No Motto Saint: $1500

2. 1908 Indian $5 half eagle AU58 PCGS: $462

3. NGC AU53/CAC (Green sticker) $2.50 quarter eagle, classic head design.

1834 (Has orgininal toning with semi PL surfaces): $1310

4. This is an odd one. These were actually smuggled out of veitnam I believe in a war, they are hammered so thin they are basically called leaf gold. They were smuggled out in toilet paper rolls and even under the soles of shoes. Quite an interesting history. Orginally, they were in about 1/2 oz 14 or so gram bars, with orgininal rice paper. Additionally, many can be found actually folded in halve. The one I have is about 7-8 grams, approximately a 1/4 oz AGW and is folded. They are Kim Tahl bars. Pure gold. I actually bought mine (1/4 oz AGW) from Jonathan Kern in the '08 coin show in phoenix where I attended a seminiar on counterfeit detection. I paid about $300, an extra premium was tacked on which I found out later was non-existent on them. But I'm guessing its worth around $250 now, or melt value. Here's a picture of mine. Notice it says "OR PUR" which is french I believe for pure gold. Also notice how it is folded over.

MONEYSHOWPICKUPORPUR1-1.jpg

5. Gold angel, pretty sure its just a common date. AU-UNC condition. Probably just worth melt plus a very small premium, if that. .900 fine These coins were considered lucky because of when it saved a man's life from the guillotten. .1867 AGW I believe. Value: $183

6.Gold ducat, very small and thin gold coins. One of my favorite. Affordable and many have Semi PL surfaces as well as being restrikes, so they are quite common. The date on mine says 1915, but most likely it was minted later, a restrike. They are also one of the most pure gold coins ever made in circulation, I believe 23 2/3 karats, or .986 fine. The value is 1 ducat. Value: $110

7. Another bullion generic coin, 1913 gold sovereign, king george design.

Additionally this coin may be worth a bit less because it has a scratch in it (Years ago I scratched it with my knife to see if it was ,uhh, "real". Don't do this)

So I'm guessing melt here. Value: $239

8. I actually haven't told anyone I got this coin, as I was playing gemstone but I did indeed get one. Back in '08 I got a 1/10 oz unc buffalo. The box they come in is fastastic, probably makes up half the price of the coin! They are known for being the first coins to be released as 24K, pure gold. (Although first spouses may have been sold before these as 24K..hmm) Anyway, I'm guessing $150 here-200$

Let's say $150 . (It's still in mint packaging)

9. PCGS AU58 "queen" gold sovereign, date 1900

I bought this coin from dooly, a forum member here across the pond. Thanks dooly! Since its AU58 and a rarer series i'm guessing a little more over melt than the other sovereigh. So value: $250

10. Pamp Suisse 1 gram .9999 fine gold bar

Still sealed in pamp suisse case. Value: $40

11. 1901-S PCGS MS62 $5 half eagle $500

12. Indian gold fanam. Considered by some to be one of the worlds smallest gold coins. $10

13.Iran (persia) 1297-1301 wedding token, VF

KM #924. Value: Paid $40, its a small coin, probably worth less.

14. Another very small gold coin. China 10 yuan, .0321 AGW

$25

15. Australia nugget , 1/20 oz, $35

16. mexican 2 peso, gold. small coin. $40

17. This is an unsual coin. Its a silver and gold ingot, cast. It a rectangle shape.

They were made in different but I paid around $60 for this one.

That's it for the gold...move on to the silver.

Silver Melt

A silver peso, says "un peso", 72% fine, or .720 (says on the coin)

1943, guessing around $7

Junk morgans, pure melt value. Have 4 of them. $15 each, so 15 x 4

= $60

90% halves, again junk. Some older ones such as walkers.

$5 each, have 6. = $30

90% quarters. $2.50 each, 13 total. = value: $32.50

90% dimes = $1.50 each, got 5. So value: $7.50

Got 2 mint state silver eagles, one in proof one UNC.

$15 each, or 30 for both = $30

40% silver halves, (1965-1969) $2.50 each, got 3 so value:

$7.50

Misc

An error coin, actually a doubled die verison of a kennedy. I believe this may be an accented hair too. 1964 DDO 007 kennedy UNC, $25

1967 25C PCGS MS65CAM SMS

More of a variety, no idea here, guessing $10

Here's an interesting coin.

2007-P smooth edge (missing edge lettering) $1,

Not sure on the grade, anywhere from MS64-67. It is geniune.

Additionally, it has a grease strike though error. So a two in one.

Guessing $150

An ancient coin:

Pontius pilate, 26-36CE year 17 struck 30 CE

Prutah, 1.86 g. , hendin-649 obr-Littus reverse-wreath

$25 bucks guessing,

1865 2 cent, TMC-34. Guessing its about fine condition.

$15 or so

Currency

2 $2 bills, more of a curiousity item. I'm guessing they have no premium

$4

Circulated red seal $2, guessing around $10, got it for face value.

Other stuff

ICG 10 cent 1961 PR66CAM, no idea, $10?

I actually own this coin in a contest on these boards.

PCGS 1923 MS63 $1 peace dollar, in an old rattler holder.

Most likely has a chance to upgrade, as grading was very strict in those days.

$15 I suppose?

Silver trime, (3 cent piece, silver). Has a hole in it, about AG

Value: $10

1835 AG bust dime (capped I believe), paid about 40 bucks for it a long time ago.

I suppose its worth around $35, just guessing on the grade. (I've got to learn how to grade.)

Ok, that's everything! Hope my prices were correct on most of these.

I added up everything, so the total is:

$4745

Those prices sound about right, Kevin. You certainly didn't high-ball the prices but were very fair and conservative on them. Excellent research and a nice little collection at that!. (thumbs u

It certainly sounds like a warcraft addiction. However, it could be worse, it could be poker. ;) A few years ago, I was playing $20-$40 hold-em at the Borgata. I returned to the game four consecutive nights in a row only to find that a particular player had not moved from the table for the entire four days. On the fourth day, he literally collapsed. The floor people could not wake him. They took his chips, cashed them, and placed the money in his wallet. Security came and took him away in a wheelchair. He woke up 12 hours later in the back of his car, not knowing where he was. I saw him last week, and we reminisced and laughed about it, but it really wasn't funny to at the time. This man's addiction to gambling made him play until he literally couldn't play anymore.

Jake, I know you probably don't want to hear this, but the more you try to keep your son from playing that game, the more he is going to want to play it. Maybe a time limit would be better than banning it.

That sounds like a good idea, I may have to do that. I JUST started excel yesterday, and it seems pretty complex so I'm a bit overwhelmed. Not sure I know how to do that yet, but I'll ask the teacher about it.

Excel is pretty easy after you get the hang of it. Just wait till they start showing you some what "if" functions and some Ture - False statments. After you have excel down start messing with Microsoft Access.

Misc

An error coin, actually a doubled die verison of a kennedy. I believe this may be an accented hair too. 1964 DDO 007 kennedy UNC, $25

A Picture of this and we can help Identify it - I think these had a double profile

obverse ..

:applause: Welcome back stinky .. you sound way more on this planet than in siber space just from this post .. keep up the good work (thumbs u

glad to see you still have the vicky sov in your collection and it seems to have gone up a bit in the value .. makes me happy and proud..

keep posting and best of luck getting the excess weight off .. how about getting yourself off to a few coins fairs ..

all the best the Daft Englishman :devil:

"

gaming clan

No offense or anything, but that sounds like something a group of weenies would call themselves in order to sound tough. "

I'm sure there is plenty of weenies... What else are they supposed to call themselves? Gaming clans have been around for decades. At times because of competition etc it gets pretty unreal. My crew consisted of several X military, Law enforcement, Lawyers, etc. I can assure you.. some of these people are anything but weenies. No offense taken

Another thing.. Our group gets together almost every year. We have people from all parts of the world. Aussie's, Brits, Germans, Mainly US folks. Good times when we get together. Good food, drinking, etc. Like a big family reunion.

Hi Kevin and welcome back. I am pleased to read, as I'm sure you are, that you have decided to learn some job skills. Plus, it is better for your mental health to break the computer game addiction patterns. I had not noticed that you were absent because I have not been on this site much since October.

I sold 65% of my collection last October and was so disgusted with handling of the sale, that I have pretty much decided to maintain most of my remaining classical gold and silver certified coins plus modern Mint and proof Set inventory and not acquire any more cons for the time being. I also have several Capital plastics and Dansco folder raw coin collections.

I am also immune, like Jeff, to computer games because I am too old to find them interesting. However, I do have children who did find them compelling. When you learn or while you learn Excel, it would be a good tool to start an inventory log for your coins. Many of the coin software packages on the market also use Microsoft Access as a database management tool for coin collections (i.e. Coin Elite). However, database programs are pretty advanced and you need to learn Excel and Powerpoint before worrying about database design and construction.

Anyhow, nice to hear from you and good luck with your training.

Alright, here's all the coins worth something ranging from about 15 and up.

I added up everything, so the total is:

$4745

You know, for $4700, you can join a gym, lose the weight, get your head shrunk to lose the gaming addiction, buy some nice clothes, and by 2010 you can take out a nice girl. And on top of that, you can probably do all that and keep your one favorite coin. I'm just sayin'. :gossip: